• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finally.

Sent from my LG-D722 using Tapatalk

Comment

THIS IS THE BIG ONE

Are you satisfied, so that you are sure, that those who died in the disaster were unlawfully killed? YES

Comment

ANOTHER IMPORTANT ONE

Was there any behaviour on the part of the football supporters which caused or contributed to the dangerous situation at the Leppings Lane turnstiles?

NO

Comment

http://news.sky.com/story/1685308/hi...s-live-updates

Comment

Finally.

My wife's cousin is one of the lead barristers representing the families so have been following this very closely. Justice at last for those people.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk
            "Everything good about Ireland can be found in County Cork"....Lonely Planet Guide 2012

Comment

https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/724911553015873537

Comment

The right decision, but while I'm sure there is sense of relief for the families, nothing will bring back the 96 supporters who went out to watch a game of football, and never came home.

Finally, finally, they might rest in peace.
                Please support Milford Hospice. Click here to donate.

Comment

And the sun shines now. At long last.

Comment

Originally posted by Grandpasimpson View Post
                    Finally.

My wife's cousin is one of the lead barristers representing the families so have been following this very closely. Justice at last for those people.

I think that justice is a bit of a grand term. Yes, the injustice of them being blamed for their own deaths has been negated. Justice would require that someone is held accountable for the lies, the smearing, the bullying of survivors families and all the rest.

Justice will be when South Yorkshire Police are in the dock.
                    "We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

"Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy

"I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

Comment

Fair play to Sky News. I was expecting to see Kay Burley chasing the relatives up and down the streets of Warrington while attempting to beat them over the head with a pissed stained rolled up copy of The S*n.
                      The Beatings Will Continue Until Morale Improves

Comment

Originally posted by Balla Boy View Post
                        I think that justice is a bit of a grand term. Yes, the injustice of them being blamed for their own deaths has been negated. Justice would require that someone is held accountable for the lies, the smearing, the bullying of survivors families and all the rest.

Justice will be when South Yorkshire Police are in the dock.
                        True, I suppose vindication of a form may be a more appropriate term but whatever term we put on it the people who went to a football match never came home and nothing will change that.

"Everything good about Ireland can be found in County Cork"....Lonely Planet Guide 2012

Comment

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/apr/26/hillsborough-disaster-deadly-mistakes-and-lies-that-lasted-decades

This is a very good piece by a journalist called David Conn in the Guardian who knows more about the disaster than most. It's a tough read and gets graphic in places but it at least gives you a sense of what these poor people have gone through over the past 27 years. I only hope the CPS sees fit to bring charges. I also hope Bernard Ingham dies roaring. Or crushed.

The final couple of paragraphs are perhaps the hardest, I'll post them here for anyone who doesn't have the time to get through the whole article:

"There were some police officers whose decency stood out. One was Russell Greaves, a detective constable who tried to revive Sarah Hicks, 19, on the pitch after she had been brought out of the crush next to her sister, Vicki, 15. Trevor and Jenni Hicks, the girls’ parents, had given heart-wrenching evidence. Trevor was said by witnesses to have been running between the girls, as desperate attempts were made to revive them, shouting and pleading: “Not both of them: they’re all I’ve got.”

Trevor Hicks himself tried to perform mouth-to-mouth resuscitation on Vicki, which involved, he testified, sucking vomit from her mouth, then he went with her in an ambulance – another scene of hell, with a teenage crush victim, Gary Jones, on the floor, and Hicks trying not to stand on him. He believed another ambulance would be along for Sarah but, as Greaves recalled, no ambulance came. They carried Sarah on an advertising hoarding to the gymnasium, but there were no ambulances there either, so they laid her on the pitch and performed CPR again. Eventually, qualified medical staff told them she was dead. Greaves recalled that he closed Sarah’s eyes.

"At the end of his evidence, Greaves asked if he could say a few words. A big man with a moustache, overcome with emotion, he then read something he had prepared, to a rapt courtroom. “Just mere words cannot comfort Trevor or Jenni Hicks, or remove their sense of loss, pain and utter devastation,” he said. “But I would like to take this opportunity to say to them that I did my very best for Sarah in the circumstances. I could not have done more. For the time I was with Sarah, Sarah was with someone who cared. Sarah was not alone.”
                          "It’s not the team you support, it’s the club you should support. The team on the pitch will ebb and flow because that’s the nature of sport. No team has ever been successful decade on decade. The club has the history and that’s the passion you should have."

Comment

I sat down to watch the Jimmy McGovern-written drama documentary on Hillsborough back in the mid 90s.

When it came to the part as described above in Jenta's post, I, as a father of two daughters, found it impossible to watch. I had to leave the room.

I read afterwards that McGovern wrote the script hoping to be sued by the Police or the Ambulance people as a means of getting what had happened into a courtroom.

Mr Hicks is quoted here “The loss of a child is one of the worst things that can happen to a loving parent. Loss of all your children is devastating. It is not that two is twice as bad. It’s that you lose everything. The present, the future and any purpose.”

The two girls were 15 and 19 years old.
                            Last edited by Piquet; 26-April-2016, 16:35. Reason: typo

Comment

that's horrific, I had tears in my eyes reading that.
                              "There are a lot of points that we’ve left behind and this is with a young group. That probably tells you what they’re capable of and that they’re a very good side.

Probably next year or the year after next they will take some stopping"

Anthony Foley, May 2016. Axel RIP

Comment

I've seen Trevor and Jenni Hicks interviewed a number of times on documentaries investigating Hillsborough. I can't even begin to imagine what they went through that day. I remember it clear as crystal. Particularly moving also is Bruce Grobbelaars interview.

Comment

Working...
                                X