Question for runners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question for runners

Hello all, dunno if we have any long distance runners on here, but gonna shoot a question out there.
    I'm training for a half marathon this summer, and although I tried a full marathon 2 years ago and took part in the relay last year, this year I'm taking it a lot more seriously. Training plan done out and everything.
    I'm running 3 nights a week, with a minimum of 7.5KM each night at a 7:14/KM suggested pace, I'm taking my diet a lot more seriously too this time, which leads me to consider supplements, at this stage only considering joint support and recovery drinks.
    I've heard a lot of horror stories about supplements, but has anyone got any experience with them in relation to running?

Fair play to you and best of luck with it.

Supplements is a fairly broad brush stroke ranging from multivitamins to steroids. What are you thinking of specifically?

Comment

Based on your training fish oils, a multivitamin and a healthy balanced diet is all you need really. If you want to take a whey protein (1-2 scoops on a training day) there's no issue with that but I wouldn't buy too much into it, it may help recovery a little...

The other main thing is to make sure you're drinking over 2 litres of water a day.

Best of luck with it!
      \"There is no need for temples, no need for complicated philosophies. My brain and my heart are my temples; my philosophy is kindness\".
      Dalai Lama

Comment

You could take a Glucosamine supplement too if you felt you have joint issues.
        \"There is no need for temples, no need for complicated philosophies. My brain and my heart are my temples; my philosophy is kindness\".
        Dalai Lama

Comment

A lot you don't post there Weeta.....

Age, current condition, aim(s), health, history (previous run(s), injuries, chronic conditions....... etc

When is this race, what time are you aiming for, what do you intend your training to peak at?

As regards supplements - don't, unless you get excellent advice. Looking after your joints should be approached by running on softer/more forgiving surfaces (hard grass or paths - preferably bark covered, but difficult to find in this country.....) and by wearing supportive and suitable footwear. 2 helpings of oily fish (sardines possibly the best) per week as part of a balanced diet with plenty of fresh fruit and veg would trump any dosage of glucosamine sulphate (or anything else you'd like to try). And it certainly would be better for your overall health. Oh, on 3 runs of 5 miles+ weekly you won't need any supplementary feeding (unless you think you're underweight); sufficient water is important both before and after exercise.

After that good luck.

Comment

What 99_ok says
            "Fineen Wycherley was everywhere. When I watched this video back late on Saturday night I half expected to look up from my laptop to find him in my kitchen ' TRK Nov 3rd 2019 following Cardiff v Munster

Comment

one other suggestion if I may - get some speedwork / fartkek sessions in

running at the same pace and distance 3 nights a week is less efficient than 1 night of 400m reps or intervals

don't be surprised if you find yourself sleeping longer hours. glucosamine and omega 3 help but I couldn't say just how much more of an advantage they are if your diet is up to scratch.
              The supplements could all have been a placebo in my case, I just needed to feel like I was doing everything I could to prepare.

Comment

I remember reading a funny but true bit in the Huffington post one day. The writer wrote about supplements and the whole business of extracting the vitamins and minerals etc out of carrots and other such foods and their performances. It outlined the scientific, indepth and huge revolutuionary works and research on them and how to get the right mix and balance and interactions with the body to perform to their maximum. He then added that of course people who ate carrots really didn't have to worry about such science...they just ate the carrot.
                Tic-Toc. POC and DOC. Stop the clock.

Comment

Some great help there lads, thanks.
                  It's all kinetica stuff I'm looking at, coz I get a discount with work. The stuff I am thinking about is just joint supplements and recovery shakes, water consumption is waaaaaay up and the diet is getting much more attention, I have started eating more oily fish than usual, trying 2 doses a week, dosed the lads in work out of it this morning with kippers and eggs, mank.

To 99_ok?, I'm 34, about 12-13 stone, haven't weighed in in a while, current condition is ok, deffo getting better, when I did a half arsed attempt at the full 2 years ago I damaged my knee and the lads in the Edge sports shop in Cork reckon I should try an ITB band.
                  I'm aiming for 2:15 in the half in Cork in June.

Comment

Originally posted by Weetabix View Post
                    I'm 34, about 12-13 stone, haven't weighed in in a while, current condition is ok, deffo getting better, when I did a half arsed attempt at the full 2 years ago I damaged my knee and the lads in the Edge sports shop in Cork reckon I should try an ITB band.
                    I'm aiming for 2:15 in the half in Cork in June.
                    Whooo, not sure about your height, but lugging 75-80 kg around a 21k course shouldn't be beyond you; but 2:15 is indeed a fine aim, actually I'd say it's somewhat modest. You need to be doing a few other (shorter..) runs/races at higher tempo, and try to enjoy 'em.

I kinda get you're not really into this running lark, and you're doing this for other motives (mebbe very noble...). Try to enjoy the odd run and forget the stopwatch once in a while. I'm sure you are well capable of your aim (and maybe much better...).

But why the ITB band? Do you have an underlying condition or chronic injury remaining? (I've had knee surgery - mostly successful; ultimately all ok...). May I suggest any such issue should be tackled first. You cannot really cheat against your body. It's the only one you have; look after it.....

Comment

Sorry about the delay! 99-oK? it's like you know me!
                      Try to run and raise funds every year for Crumlin.
                      ITB band was suggested coz in 2011 I did not finish due to a knee injury. Haven't invested in one at all, we'll see.

Comment

Originally posted by Weetabix View Post
                        Sorry about the delay! 99-oK? it's like you know me!
                        Try to run and raise funds every year for Crumlin.
                        ITB band was suggested coz in 2011 I did not finish due to a knee injury. Haven't invested in one at all, we'll see.
                        Lots of advice here, but the one about shorter runs is worth listening to. Try and get in a speed or fartlek session about once a week, good idea also to build up with a couple of 5-mile or 10k races, then a 10-miler about 3 or 4 weeks before your main aim (the half-M). It's also a good idea to do as much as possible off-road (more forgiving, especially on your knees...).

Oh, good shoes are also a help. And good luck...!

Comment

+1 on the speed training. Intervals being the best way to do it. When I ran I would do 4 x 400m runs with one lap recovery after each one or else 8 x 200m with 200m recovery between each. Getting yourself running the intervals consistently is your aim.
                          He's a guy who gets up at six o'clock in the morning regardless of what time it is.

Comment

we just run 3.5 k 2-3 times a week with times getting faster. Been at it a year. I have no ambitions for fun runs/marathons etc. It's just a bit of fitness and it doesn't take too much time. We walk out the door and run (after warm up) and arrive back at the door. But we have started to speed between lamp posts! It's handy to break it up. We slow back at every second one.
                            Tic-Toc. POC and DOC. Stop the clock.

Comment

Intervals all sound vomit inducing! Can't wait to give them a go :_panic__by_bad_bloo

Comment

Working...
                              X