Sporting Highlights Of 2012

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well 2012 is nearly at an end and it has been quite a year for sport from the Olympics to the Euro's.

So what are your sporting highlights from the year?

My No.1 moment by a long shot has to be Katies Gold in London. Great moment that brought tears to the eyes.

Honorable mentions (in no particular order):

-Zebo's hat-trick against Northampton last January
    -Celtic beating Barcelona in the champions league
    -Irish soccer fans during Euro 2012
    -Samoa beating Wales in the AI's

and her

Yup, Katie's gold medal and the whole of the away game v Saints were my own most memorable sporting events, along with the game v Ulster in Ravenhill where in spite of the loss, we got to see the sort of positive influence Rob Penney's approach would make on our style of play. Plus it was a great game to attend.
    Must admit I was a bit surprised at how pleased I was to see England beat New Zealand, and happier than I expected to be about Ireland's victory over Argentina. I've absolutely zero interest in soccer and much of the Olympics passed me by, but I can't help having a wee chuckle any time I remember "Angela Merkel thinks we're at work" ...
    Tis but a scratch.

Comment

Re: Sporting Highlights Of 2012

Zebo and Katie would be up there for me, but I cannot shake the last lap that Mo Farah did in the 10,000 m out of my head. Amazing.
      Please support Milford Hospice. Click here to donate.

Comment

Katie and HEC win for me.
        Mo Farah as well was a great moment.
        The only difference between me and a madman is that I'm not mad.
        - Salvador Dali (1904-1989)

Comment

Originally posted by fitzy73 View Post
          Zebo and Katie would be up there for me, but I cannot shake the last lap that Mo Farah did in the 10,000 m out of my head. Amazing.
          Totally agree. I also enjoyed David Rudisha's 800m

Comment

Katie's gold definitely Number 1...
            then Murray doing the US open..
            Mad Jealous but Leinsters win in the semi final against Cleront, awesome stuff..
            Bolt in the Olympics, both Golds... the lovable rogue...
            He was as lame as a duck. Not the metaphorical lame duck either, but a real duck that was actually lame. Maybe from stepping on a land mine or something.

Comment

Before Stanley gets in, there is a lot to be said for Michelle Jenneke's performance.
              http://vimeo.com/45784191
              Last edited by munstermog; 21st-December-2012, 17:48.
              Definition of Insanity. Playing the same game plan over and over again expecting a different result.

Comment

Katie Taylor finally getting the recognition she has deserved for years.

Comment

I think Manny Pacquiao getting knocked right the **** out deserves a mention. It's been a decent enough year for boxing actually.

Personally I think the Ryder Cup was my highlight. That Sunday was one of the most incredible days of sport I can remember.
                  "It’s not the team you support, it’s the club you should support. The team on the pitch will ebb and flow because that’s the nature of sport. No team has ever been successful decade on decade. The club has the history and that’s the passion you should have."

Comment

Incredible year for Sport.

All of the Olympics stood out for me, amazing spectacle.

Comment

Jason Smyth in the Paralympics was another highlight. He properly took the piss out of the fields in the 100m and 200m finals.
                      "It’s not the team you support, it’s the club you should support. The team on the pitch will ebb and flow because that’s the nature of sport. No team has ever been successful decade on decade. The club has the history and that’s the passion you should have."

Comment

my top 10.....

Katie Taylor's Olympic gold
                        The Sunday at the Ryder Cup
                        The Irish Paralympians (and the Paralympics in general) getting some of the recognition deserved
                        Gavin Noble's heroic Triathlon at the Olympic's
                        Fionnuala Britton's olympic 5km followed by her retaining the Euro Cross Country title (& helping the Irish ladies win the team event)
                        The destruction of Northampton in Franklin's Gardens (gave me that fuzzy feeling big Munster wins always bring)
                        Sycerika McMahon's continued improvement in the pool
                        Connacht's wins in the ERC vs 'Quins & Biarritz
                        The drawn Senior All Ireland Hurling final
                        and the Clare under 21 Hurlers winning the All Ireland.

5 honourable mentions:
                        David Walsh & Paul Kimmage's hard work is vindicated
                        The NCAA Basketball Final 4 Game between the 2 Kentucky sides (Louisville & eventual winners Kentucky State)
                        Mo Farrah
                        Donegal rejuvenating Gaelic Football
                        The USA swim team at the Olympics
                        “People are broad-minded. They'll accept the fact that a person can be an alcoholic, a dope fiend, a wife beater and even a newspaperman, but if a man doesn't drive, there's something wrong with him.” - Art Buchwald

Comment

Kilcormack Killoughey finally winning the County Championship and then going on to win Leinster.

Comment

McGahan sportingly doing what Munster Rugby hadn't the balls to do ... that was a particular highlight

Comment

Originally posted by James Lynch View Post
                              ......The destruction of Northampton in Franklin's Gardens (gave me that fuzzy feeling big Munster wins always bring).....
                              Twas at Stadium MK James but a real highlight nonetheless.
                              Yorn desh born, der ritt de gitt der gue,
                              Orn desh, dee born desh, de umn bork! bork! bork!

Comment

Working...
                              X