All Island Soccer Team

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All Island Soccer Team

Taoiseach Enda Kenny said today that he would personally support the idea of an all-island football team.

However, the North's First Minister Peter Robinson said that it is an issue that needs to be left to sporting organisations.

The pair met at the North South Ministerial Council summit in Dublin today.

"I would be a big supporter of an all-Ireland soccer team," he said.

"I think they could certainly qualify for World Cups, they'd have a much stronger team.

"But then I'm not in control of that, but I give you my personal view."
    So according to our great leader, the addition of Johny Evans means we should throw out the last actual national side this country has.

Anyone agree with him?
    Last edited by busby; 15-June-2012, 14:50.
    "There are probably more annoying things than being hectored about African development by a wealthy Irish rock star in a cowboy hat, but I can't think of one at the moment"

Paul Theroux

Vision and ambition from EK. "we'd be able to qualify for World Cups". Great. And I'd have to listen to my arsehole colleagues take the piss out of me every 4 years instead of 10.

Does he not have bigger fish to fry anyway?

Comment

Red Hand Hero will love this. He's still having to lie down in a dark room for 6 hours everyday since McClean abandoned the sinking ship. If we poach the lot it'll be a suicide watch situation.
      I can just hear them singing the FOA on the Shankill Rd.

Comment

The thing i don't understand is there are two actual proper countries (in what i understand of it anyway) involved here - Ireland (as in this 26 county state) and the United Kingdom of Great Britian and Northern Ireland. Yet people think it's totally normal that we should have a team representing Ireland plus a part of the UK, while the rest of the UK should then be represented by 3 different "national" teams.

Northern Ireland, Scotland, Wales and England are as entitled to national soccer sides as the Basque country, Catalonia, the former Yugoslavian territories were before they got independence, or the former Soviet Union states were before they got their independence. Your either a ****ing country or your not. It's amazing that FIFA have allowed this absurd situation continue for over a century when they haven't allowed it for some other political entities.

Also, why would we create a United Irish soccer team at a time when an actual United Ireland is as far off as ever, and a probably an impossibility at any time in the next 50 years at least? You think you'd go about about making the actual country before the soccer team to represent it.

We have an ideal scenario at the moment. Northern Nationalist can claim to play for Ireland if they wish to do so. Northern Unionists should be free to have nothing to do with a country they feel no connection with and be able to support and play for a Northern Irish side, or if it comes about a UK side.

That doesn't even take into account more practical issues in dealing with a severely bigoted football association and set of supporters. They can't even make it an inclusive side for half of their own population, how would they deal being in such a small minority. Also, you'd wonder how the northern supporters would afford all the bullets to send to catholic players....
        "There are probably more annoying things than being hectored about African development by a wealthy Irish rock star in a cowboy hat, but I can't think of one at the moment"

Paul Theroux

Comment

TBH I'd say there are not more than a hardcore rump of Unionists who'd be implacably against an all Ireland team but the sinecured blazers are the problem.
          Never forget that the real purpose and benefit of any independent national soccer team is the junket and general poncing opportunities afforded the blazers.
          Hence the reason that the scum plebs (i.e. the team) are shoehorned into steerage while the real stars - our blazers - luxuriate in business class.
          Our Northern blazer brethren still regard the rebel Eire crew as treacherous upstarts who abandoned their betters to set up an 'Only Fools and Horses' type operation clearly taking direct orders from either the Pope or the IRA.
          Pity. We'd likely have a decent team with an all Ireland set up.

Comment

No, the Northern Ireland fans are Sectarian scumbags. This boat has sailed decades ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Tobyglen View Post
              No, the Northern Ireland fans are Sectarian scumbags. This boat has sailed decades ago.
              We got plenty of Celtic jersey wearing equivalents down south...
              "Hell, I'm not saying I'm an angel, but when it came to dirty tricks I couldn't hold a candle to the Irish Mafia" Jimmy Hoffa

Comment

Originally posted by MrsMcGahan View Post
                We'd likely have a decent team with an all Ireland set up.
                We would have the existing Irish side plus Johny Evans. It's not like we'll be joining up with a European power house FFS.

If people seriously stood back and looked at the benefits and negatives of a joint team it would be a very easy decision.

Paul Theroux

Comment

I'd actually love to see the rugby team split up. We've less and less in common with NI.
                  It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into.

Every plan I have is the best plan in the room. Everybody get quiet and listen to it, and everybody will win

Comment

Originally posted by JoeyFantastic View Post
                    I'd actually love to see the rugby team split up. We've less and less in common with NI.
                    Idiotic post of the year? I regularly travel across the border and it amazes me how much in common we all have considering the 1921-1998 era.
                    Commemorate Nevin Spence here -
                    http://www.mycharity.ie/event/munste..._nevin_spence/

Comment

The main stumbling block to an All Ireland team would be the loss of jobs to 50% of the blazers.

It makes sense in a sporting and cultural sense. Another issue is the Northern Team is very politicised no matter what they'd tell you otherwise. I know, I've been to Windsor Park.
                      Commemorate Nevin Spence here -
                      http://www.mycharity.ie/event/munste..._nevin_spence/

Comment

Originally posted by busby View Post
                        We would have the existing Irish side plus Johny Evans. It's not like we'll be joining up with a European power house FFS.

If people seriously stood back and looked at the benefits and negatives of a joint team it would be a very easy decision.
                        Does any football association have to separate its own fans from each other? Think the IFA could corner the market there.

Kinda agree with JF, I'm not all that pushed about the Northerners representing us just because we all live on the same island.

And while we're at it, I'd like to see the football team renamed - it's Ireland FFS and not the RoI.
                        Last edited by Cathal; 16-June-2012, 00:18.
                        Shameless self promotion time ladies and gents!
                        Munster: Early Season
                        Munster: Escape from Pool of Death
                        Munster: HEC Champions 2007/2008
                        Munster: Full Season Highlights.

Comment

Originally posted by Cathal View Post

Kinda agree with JF, I'm not all that pushed about the Northerners representing us just because we all live on the same island.

And while we're at it, I'd like to see the football team renamed - it's Ireland FFS and not the RoI.
                          Surely its one or the other?

Pointless debate anyway, too many hardcore elements in football on both sides. There will not be an all Ireland team until there is a 32county state, and thats at least two or three generations away.

Comment

Originally posted by Jackie Brown View Post
                            Idiotic post of the year? I regularly travel across the border and it amazes me how much in common we all have considering the 1921-1998 era.
                            More or less than with the Scots and Welsh.

Time to cut NI loose.
                            It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into.

Every plan I have is the best plan in the room. Everybody get quiet and listen to it, and everybody will win

Comment

Originally posted by Cathal View Post

Comes from the "break away", if you call a country setting up its own football association a break away. Soccer on the island was dominated by a unionist run IFA. The FAI finally set itself up properly, but basically signed away the right to call the Irish side "Ireland" so as to wriggle out of the control of the IFA.

Its something you'd love to see the FAI do something about now, the name of the team should represent the name of the state.

Paul Theroux

Comment

Working...
                              X