• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Limerick FC

<?:namespace prefix = rte ns = "urn:rte-search" /><rte:>

Limerick FC seeking clarification from FAI
    Monday, 20 November 2006 9:16

Limerick FC are seeking a letter of intent from the FAI amid continuing doubts about their future as an eircom League side.

The Shannonsiders are due to meet with eircom League and FAI officials in Limerick on Tuesday.

Limerick chairman Danny Drew will seek a letter of intent from Merrion Square guaranteeing them a lease on the playing part of their Hogan Park ground.

The FAI hopes to be granted a lease on the ground by former Limerick chairman Father Joe Young, who is a trustee of the site.

Drew said: 'If the FAI are granted the lease then we will be looking for a guarantee from them that they will give us a lease on the stadium part of the ground.

'Without that we cannot move this club forward as our destiny is not in our own hands and we cannot draw down funds to develop the venue.'

Drew also met with a Polish consortium on Saturday for the third time in six days and will meet them again following Tuesday's meeting with the FAI.

At present Limerick have two years left on an agreement with tenants Hill Celtic to play at the venue.</rte:>
    "It’s not the team you support, it’s the club you should support. The team on the pitch will ebb and flow because that’s the nature of sport. No team has ever been successful decade on decade. The club has the history and that’s the passion you should have."

Has anyone got any views on this polish takeover?

Im all for investment in Limerick but a name and colours change! Im
    not too sure about that. We need to have a Limerick FC team and keep
    our colours.

Like what would they call it? Poland FC or some crap...lol

[img]smileys/thumb-up.gif[/img]Its a good thing but it could turn out to be a [img]smileys/thumb-down.gif[/img]bad thing i the long run.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b1...birraitz04.jpghttp://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b1...76425image.jpg

Aussietorrents.com - No1.Munster :-)

Comment

if limerick f.c.,went out of buisness tomorrow,i dont thibk many would care.theres plaenty of junior teams in limerick that get bigger attendances
      g\'wan bruff!!

``The answer is not heavy- handed regulations that crush the entrepreneurial spirit and risk- taking of American capitalism. That\'s what\'s made our economy great.\"
      -Barack Obama

\"The first lesson of economics is scarcity: There is never enough of anything to satisfy all those who want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics\"
      -thomas sowell

Comment

Limerick FC attendances have improved dramatically this season. The change to the summer league format has helped and the fact that they had a good start to the season. Also friday evenings seem to be a better fixture time as it doesn't overlap with other weekend sporting events.

I think it would be a shame if a city that has such a good record in junior club competitions didn't have a team to represent it in the national league.

Comment

Originally posted by Concept
          Limerick FC attendances have improved dramatically this season. The change to the summer league format has helped and the fact that they had a good start to the season. Also friday evenings seem to be a better fixture time as it doesn't overlap with other weekend sporting events.

I think it would be a shame if a city that has such a good record in junior club competitions didn't have a team to represent it in the national league.

difine dramatically improved ive seem limerick games over the last few years bring in as few as 40-50 people.going up to a couple of hundred would bea dramatic improvement,i suppose the fact that the team isfairly poor doesnt help
          g\'wan bruff!!

``The answer is not heavy- handed regulations that crush the entrepreneurial spirit and risk- taking of American capitalism. That\'s what\'s made our economy great.\"
          -Barack Obama

\"The first lesson of economics is scarcity: There is never enough of anything to satisfy all those who want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics\"
          -thomas sowell

Comment

Originally posted by bruffian

Originally posted by Concept

difine dramatically improved ive seem limerick games over the last few years bring in as few as 40-50 people.going up to a couple of hundred would bea dramatic improvement,i suppose the fact that the team isfairly poor doesnt help
            the crowds were 300-400 for most games and more for bigger games (shamrock rovers, hogan park was full.......first time in years). They had a good run in the league cup but their season was over in sept tbh but they do have some promising young players. still think it would be a shame if the city didn't have a senior football team.

Comment

How can anyone say they wouldn't care if Limerick FC went under?

We are a sporting city and with all the bad press things like Munster
              and Limerick FC even do they are having problems are doing nothing
              but good for the image of our city.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b1...birraitz04.jpghttp://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b1...76425image.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by No1.Munster
                Has anyone got any views on this polish takeover?

Im all for investment in Limerick but a name and colours change! Im
                not too sure about that. We need to have a Limerick FC team and keep
                our colours.

Is the name change and colour changea definite or just speculation?

The bottom line is that this once great club is floundering, they badly need investment for improved (or brand new) facilities to get people attending matches again. As long as the tradition of the club is repected I see nothing harmful about foreign investment.
                "It’s not the team you support, it’s the club you should support. The team on the pitch will ebb and flow because that’s the nature of sport. No team has ever been successful decade on decade. The club has the history and that’s the passion you should have."

Comment

The problem, not for the first time, lies with a meddling Preist. He's stalled signing over any lease on the land.

It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into.

Every plan I have is the best plan in the room. Everybody get quiet and listen to it, and everybody will win

Comment

A whole generation has been born and has grown up since Limerick last
                    won anything of note (1982 FAI Cup - winner scored by Brendan Storan,
                    Tony Ward on the team).

Senior soccer is a complete anomaly in this great sporting city of ours,
                    but has suffered severly for lack of vision and club management.
                    Since the move to Rathbane, the Club has floundered. The Pat
                    Grace years promised much but delivered little, the Joe Young promised
                    little and had the same result.

Fundamentals such as have security of tenure on a playing pitch aren't even in place.

Discussions with a so-called "Polish consortium" may do no worse than
                    the current state, but the club badly needs investors who are prepared
                    for a slow return, but also who are seriously committed to making
                    senior soccer work in Limerick.

Finally, the traditionally weak linkage between junior soccer in
                    Limerick and Limerick FC (this problem goes back to the 1970s) needs to
                    be fixed. The Club needs a feeder line of players who
                    want to play senior soccer.

I wish any potential investor well.

"I don't believe in fairytales," O'Connell once told me, "even though it feels like I've been lucky enough to live through a few. However it ends, I'll feel lucky."
                    Donald McRae, Guardian Rugby, October 2015

Comment

Originally posted by blackwarrior
                      Since the move to Rathbane, the Club has floundered.

That's the key issue I think. If their base was moved from Rathbane to somewhere more accessible to Limerick people the situation would greatly improve. The problem is that there seem to be no readily available alternatives. Call me old fashioned but I never felt particularly safe when I watched a game in Hogan Park, it's not the nicest area.

I've always thought that locating it around Castletroy would see attendances jump. The problem is that the money this would require would be huge. If only Dolores had been a footy fan.

Comment

Ya or JP[img]smileys/biggrin.gif[/img]

Look if these Polish guys come in and put money into the club and honestly
                        have good intentions i wouldntmind a name change or colours change as long
                        as we had a good soccer team in the county.

And ya the priest well the guy is supposed to be one
                        is messin everything up... WHY LIKE? Jeses.
                        [img]smileys/thumb-down.gif[/img]

Comment

Id be completed opposed to the name change. I dont even go to limerick games and know little about the team but this is all kinds of wrong. Sponsor the team and have logoon jersey? Yes. Change team name? No way. Its the wrong way to go about things. Now if that my get me classed as xenophobic here then just go ahead and call me xenophobic.

Comment

Its all well and good to be against name and colour change but if a new consortium becomes involved they will be looking to harness the support and resources of the footballing community in the region and so the last thing they will want to do is alienate them. If there are changes we can only speculate that they would be positive relative to senior football history in Limerick since 1983.

Comment

Iv been thinking about it and im all for it because something
                              needs to be done up there.

Comment

Working...
                              X