Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Football and John Delaney

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Football and John Delaney

    http://www.independent.ie/national-n...q-2932304.html



    Always reckoned this lad is one heck of a personal money gouger, would make a great FFer, he is on a basic of 430k and only God knows what amount of bonus schemes and pensions he has built in.

    His expenses will be on a par with his "salary" and wonder if they are still stroking tickets , as before.

    The FAI are in deep trouble to pick up their end of the bill for Lansdowne Road but this lad will always be at the top of the list with his hand out.

    #2
    Early last year Des Cahill interviewed him on Saturday radio and Delaney said he spent over €100k of his own money on tickets and gave them away for free, this was in justifying his huge wage.

    It also skewed the real ticket sales at a time when their sales were poor, The FAI were buying their own tickets and giving them away. He did not agree it was like that and had a good 'ole row with Dessie on air.

    He learned it all from his Da.

    Comment


      #3
      Originally posted by bazzyg View Post
      Early last year Des Cahill interviewed him on Saturday radio and Delaney said he spent over €100k of his own money on tickets and gave them away for free, this was in justifying his huge wage.

      It also skewed the real ticket sales at a time when their sales were poor, The FAI were buying their own tickets and giving them away. He did not agree it was like that and had a good 'ole row with Dessie on air.

      He learned it all from his Da.
      Indeed he did. I was outside the stadium in Palermo in 1990 when his father Joe (the only one of the FAI heads who had the balls to turn up), held a raffle with 90 tickets for the Dutch match. I had good respect for Joe whenever I came across him at away matches.

      Comment


        #4
        On the John Murray show this morning an Irish fan in Tallin reported that Delaney had put "a large sum behind the bar" in a pub where Irish supporters had gathered for the pre-match bonding rites, last night. I've heard the same thing reported from Irish soccer supporters at other away games too. I wonder does the moolah come from JD's own pocket or from the FAI's slush fund.

        (I don't know if it's still true, but there was a time when Irish soccer international players were paid their match fee in cash after games.)
        New infraction avoidance policy: a post may be described as imbecilic, but its author should never be described as an imbecile.

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by Old Dog View Post
          On the John Murray show this morning an Irish fan in Tallin reported that Delaney had put "a large sum behind the bar" in a pub where Irish supporters had gathered for the pre-match bonding rites, last night. I've heard the same thing reported from Irish soccer supporters at other away games too. I wonder does the moolah come from JD's own pocket or from the FAI's slush fund.

          (I don't know if it's still true, but there was a time when Irish soccer international players were paid their match fee in cash after games.)

          Delaney is a mate of Bertie's and has the same love of cash, not a chance he would be using his own funds probably has a lot of difficulty seperating same from the slush fund., defo from the Blatter school of accountability.

          Comment


            #6
            OD, Delaney gave up his tickets for the Andorra game to fans in Barcelona - and (I believe) arranged transport to Andorra for the game. He did a tour of Clare (with a few ex-internationals) over a week this summer(?) which went down very well by all accounts. Tulla pipe band led out the teams in the Aviva in one of the internationals as a result.

            His salary does seem a bit ott, but he seems to be saying and doing the right things. If Ireland does qualify then it may be worth it.

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by 99_oK? View Post
              OD, Delaney gave up his tickets for the Andorra game to fans in Barcelona - and (I believe) arranged transport to Andorra for the game. He did a tour of Clare (with a few ex-internationals) over a week this summer(?) which went down very well by all accounts. Tulla pipe band led out the teams in the Aviva in one of the internationals as a result.

              His salary does seem a bit ott, but he seems to be saying and doing the right things. If Ireland does qualify then it may be worth it.
              "Gave up his tickets", what are we talking here, tickets for himself and the missus and the cost of a train ride to Barc, mere chicken-feed and well worth it to his own publicity machine.
              "Salary a bit ott", about 80% ott given the expense a/c this lad wields, am sure there are many adminstrators within FAI, maybe some amateur who could do what this lad does, anyone one know if he has any experience outside of football where he is more than well practised in keeping his mush in the trough.
              Gotta be his ambition to get up the ladder in FIFA and earn tax-free money from global brands.



              Edit:, JD will be rewriting his bonus scheme after the 0-4 win tonight, no better pupil
              Last edited by Stanley; 11-November-2011, 22:12.

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by Old Dog View Post

                On the John Murray show this morning an Irish fan in Tallin reported that Delaney had put "a large sum behind the bar" in a pub where Irish supporters had gathered for the pre-match bonding rites, last night. I've heard the same thing reported from Irish soccer supporters at other away games too. I wonder does the moolah come from JD's own pocket or from the FAI's slush fund.
                Delaney funds free bar on day FAI announce redundancies


                THE FAI has said the money spent providing a free bar for Irish supporters in a Tallinn pub on Thursday night was provided by John Delaney personally and no cost was incurred by the association.

                The organisation’s chief executive appeared at the Nimeta Bar (Bar With No Name) in the city’s old town around midnight when it was packed with Irish fans.

                Having conducted an impromptu raffle for a small number of tickets he announced he had put €2,000 behind the bar and that Irish fans could drink for free until it ran out.

                Delaney had conducted another raffle for around 10 match tickets amongst fans who turned up at the team hotel yesterday morning.

                With more than 1,000 ticketless supporters arriving in the Estonian capital ahead of last night’s kick-off, some of the winners spoke afterwards of their delight at gaining guaranteed entry but others complained about the lack of a more formal system for distributing tickets that become available after the initial allocation sold out.

                There was some surprise, meanwhile, at the decision by Delaney, who is paid more than €400,000 annually – roughly one per cent of the heavily indebted association’s entire turnover last year – to fund a free bar on the day further cuts were made back at Abbotstown, where two members of the FAI’s technical department, Paul Hamill and Declan McIntyre, were made redundant.

                It is not the first time Delaney has bought a big round for travelling supporters. In October of last year when Ireland played Slovakia he paid around €5,000 for drinks for supporters travelling by train between Bratislava and Zilina after the organisation had prematurely announced the game would be in the country’s capital.
                The association stands to make a gross figure in excess of €10 million if the Ireland team qualifies for next summer’s European Championship finals in Poland and Ukraine by beating Estonia over two legs but a significant percentage would be expected to go to the players – who took around 50 per cent of the roughly €6.5 million net profit from participation in the 2002 World Cup finals.

                This time the guaranteed prize money would be a minimum of €8 million, with commercial bonuses, new sponsorships and revenues from games in advance of the tournament expected to boost that figure considerably.

                The association, however, had debts of around €63 million in its last published accounts, most of which related to its share of the cost of redeveloping Lansdowne Road.

                http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2011/1112/1224307463603.html
                New infraction avoidance policy: a post may be described as imbecilic, but its author should never be described as an imbecile.

                Comment


                  #9
                  400K+ a yr........jesus
                  Always

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Stanley, I take it you are not a fan of JD or what he does.

                    I'm not a mad soccer fan (but did play a little when I was young....). I do know people who travelled to that Andorra game and they have a lot of time for him. Likewise I know people involved with grassroots soccer (Clare and N.Tipp) and they wouldn't have anyone else. Don't know his background (except he was dragged up in Tipp) that well, but he is in touch (& liked) at grassroots level. Haven't any feedback from those who went to Tallin (yet), but what was posted above seems typical of him. Can you think of others in similar organisations doing similar stuff (I can....), but how does he compare with say Philip Browne?

                    Seems he was instrumental in getting the Italian coaching team in place (& arranging the cash for that too). If that means another summer like Italia 90 then good for him. At least he's doing a hell of a lot more that the civil servant who retired recently with a large pot of dosh - but for what? Being Bertie's secretary and gofer? At least Delaney is seen to be doing something (even if a bit eccentric in some ways).

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by 99_oK? View Post
                      Stanley, I take it you are not a fan of JD or what he does.

                      I'm not a mad soccer fan (but did play a little when I was young....). I do know people who travelled to that Andorra game and they have a lot of time for him. Likewise I know people involved with grassroots soccer (Clare and N.Tipp) and they wouldn't have anyone else. Don't know his background (except he was dragged up in Tipp) that well, but he is in touch (& liked) at grassroots level. Haven't any feedback from those who went to Tallin (yet), but what was posted above seems typical of him. Can you think of others in similar organisations doing similar stuff (I can....), but how does he compare with say Philip Browne?

                      Seems he was instrumental in getting the Italian coaching team in place (& arranging the cash for that too). If that means another summer like Italia 90 then good for him. At least he's doing a hell of a lot more that the civil servant who retired recently with a large pot of dosh - but for what? Being Bertie's secretary and gofer? At least Delaney is seen to be doing something (even if a bit eccentric in some ways).

                      Personally speaking, he is nowhere near Philip Browne, who has a job spec, a business plan and sticks to it, JD is a fly by seat of his pants merchant and aint worth a quarter of the package.

                      So what if he puts 2/3 grand behind a bar, I would think this is self-promotion bravado and cannot think he does not claim that kinda dough back in some format, the auctioning-off of tickets has the feel of a tout about it, no way would you get Browne behaving like this.

                      Italians are like himself, if the money was not in place wouldn't be seen for dust, CS may also have been overpaid but at a guess would have had real qualifications, Delaney personally I would have down for a bully. his way or no way.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Nobody 'auctioned off tickets'.

                        How do you contend that Delaney is a bully?
                        I'm everything they say I am
                        I'm so bad baby I don't care

                        Comment


                          #13
                          I haven't spoken to JD in years but when I knew him he had a genuine interest in all sports (though soccer was his first love) and was always flathuileach with the money towards teams and supports.

                          Now maybe he is overpaid but that's hardly his feckin fault and how many others do you see putting their own money out there for supporters ?

                          Now i'm not a fan of soccer at all and didn't watch the game the other night(or the previous few before that) but I think if someone is willing to put a few thousand of his own money up for supporters entertainment then we should say - "fair play to ya, pity there's not more like ya" instead of "what's a measly few grand to the like of you ?"

                          It doesn't matter that's it might not be a million euro - it's his money and he's willing to use it for other's enjoyment/gain

                          Don't see too much of it in rugby or GAA at the moment

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Originally posted by Lemmy View Post
                            Nobody 'auctioned off tickets'.

                            How do you contend that Delaney is a bully?

                            Read the article, seems his old Pa was fond of doing the same http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/...307463603.html

                            Was not the last guy before Delaney also mixed in odd ticket deals, Bernard Byrne, seems to be a habit.


                            Delaney pushes the soccer clubs about in Irl to the extent everything must be passed and approved by him, witness Limerick trying to fix up a game with Barca which he shafted, Delaney is a dictator and totally overpaid, Browne at IRFU could never behave in the same fashion, reckon they know quite a lot about Delaney and must be flabbergasted at his behaviour and salary/pension/expenses.

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Originally posted by nuke View Post
                              I haven't spoken to JD in years but when I knew him he had a genuine interest in all sports (though soccer was his first love) and was always flathuileach with the money towards teams and supports.

                              Now maybe he is overpaid but that's hardly his feckin fault and how many others do you see putting their own money out there for supporters ?

                              Now i'm not a fan of soccer at all and didn't watch the game the other night(or the previous few before that) but I think if someone is willing to put a few thousand of his own money up for supporters entertainment then we should say - "fair play to ya, pity there's not more like ya" instead of "what's a measly few grand to the like of you ?"

                              It doesn't matter that's it might not be a million euro - it's his money and he's willing to use it for other's enjoyment/gain

                              Don't see too much of it in rugby or GAA at the moment

                              The man is grossly overpaid and uses the few grand behind the bar to self-publicise amongst the supporters, whatever bar they are in probably means those supporters can afford to buy their own drink anyway, perhaps if he brought a pair of handicapped supporters to the game it might not quite get the same publicity.

                              Bit like saying JP McManus a great fellow for supporting charities but then he does not pay taxes here, easier to afford.



                              http://www.independent.ie/sport/socc...e-1203023.html




                              "According to the Sunday Times John Delaney lodged proceedings for defamation against RTE last Monday. It relates to a broadcast on July 16th when Des Cahill and a panel discussed Delaney's €400k pay packet. RTE have taken the broadcast off its website but claim that it was fair and balanced. FAI staff have been instructed to boycott Des Cahill. The Times says that this is the 3rd set of proceedings that Delaney has taken against media organisations.
                              What an absolute clown Delaney is. A self-important, mediocre windbag who's obscene salary is totally out of line with any conceivable work the head of piddling little FA like the FAI might have to do. "
                              Last edited by Stanley; 14-November-2011, 17:25.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X