Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Cricketing thread. Restricted Admission, strictly no Philistines or yobs.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

they seem to be doing their best not to qualify for the World T20 Cup

Comment

Originally posted by Piquet View Post
      they seem to be doing their best not to qualify for the World T20 Cup
      Maybe it's time that a skilled non-mathematician drew up a non-mathematical table of the T20 qualification permutations and combinations!
      New infraction avoidance policy: a post may be described as imbecilic, but its author should never be described as an imbecile.

Comment

It's wonderfully complicated.

Six teams qualify to go to the finals to play in two pools along with Bangla Desh and Zimbabwe with the winners of each Pool getting into the Actual World Cup

The winners of each Pool qualify.

The Second and Third in each pool play each over in Cross-over games with each winner also qualifying.

The loser in each of these games plays the fourth in each pool with the winners also qualifying

Comment

Originally posted by the plastic paddy View Post
          As I didn't really see Deadly Derek Underwood, Swann is the best England spinner I have seen, although the cat had his moments. How England miss him. My question is whether Moeen Ali is in the top five spinners in England.
          Emburey (& Edmonds) ? And of course Laker ( & Lock) - well before your time (although OD was probably nodding sagely at them from beneath a panama)
          or Ashley Giles
          ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha
          The King of Spain

Comment

Originally posted by Old Dog View Post
            They will. But unless the wicket deteriorates badly, it's still hard to see the Aussies taking 20 wickets on it.
            Not much wrong with the wicket, English batting has been shockingly bad
            My computer thinks I'm gay
            What's the difference anyway
            When all the people do all day
            Is stare into a phone

Comment

Originally posted by plastic View Post

Emburey (& Edmonds)? And of course Laker ( & Lock) - well before your time (although OD was probably nodding sagely at them from beneath a panama)
              or Ashley Giles
              ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha
              The King of Spain
              Jim Laker - the renegade Yorkshireman who took the Surrey soup - was a hero of mine. But that was for his Test and Sunday League commentaries with Lord Arlott of Alderney on the good old Beeb, rather than for his spin bowling.

It was only much later in life that I learned about his 19 test wickets (19/90) against the Aussies at Old Trafford in 1956. (But those craven Lankies are notorious for doctoring their pitches to suit the home team!)
              New infraction avoidance policy: a post may be described as imbecilic, but its author should never be described as an imbecile.

Comment

Old Dog's all-singing cricket and crumpets thread.

John 'fackin' Emburey and Phillipe Henri Edmonds were characters but neither of them were as good as Swann although it has to be wondered how any of the spinners of yore would have got on with DRS which has, finally, destroyed the line that you can't be out lbw when you are playing forward.

Comment

Originally posted by the plastic paddy View Post
                  John 'fackin' Emburey and Phillipe Henri Edmonds were characters but neither of them were as good as Swann although it has to be wondered how any of the spinners of yore would have got on with DRS which has, finally, destroyed the line that you can't be out lbw when you are playing forward.
                  Ruined Formula One as well!
                  He's a guy who gets up at six o'clock in the morning regardless of what time it is.

Comment

Originally posted by DBU2 View Post
                    Not much wrong with the wicket, English batting has been shockingly bad

In the first hour, Warner was in all kinds of trouble against good bowling from Broad, Wood and Anderson, but came through it.

In England's first hour, Lyth, Ballance, Root and Lord Bellington didn't! There's your difference!

Pity Stokes couldn't have hung on until lunch and possibly a well-deserved ton.

Comment

220 for 6 Cook's still there but he's going to run out of partners long before the 347 is reached.

If he carries his bat and they are asked to follow on, would England send him out again to open?

Surely not.

Comment

Originally posted by Piquet View Post

220 for 6 Cook's still there but he's going to run out of partners long before the 347 is reached.

If he carries his bat and they are asked to follow on, would England send him out again to open? Surely not.

That's 367, boss!

And Cook loves batting. His dream is to bat in a Test Match for 5 full days without scoring a boundary. As he's the skipper, he'll probably send himself out to bat again!

The second new ball should be fun, both before and (if England hang on) after tea!

Comment

Just as England were disciplined at Cardiff, the Aussies have been at Lords

laughable how the Cardiff wicket got endless flak
                          yet produced a superior test (imho)

both stokes and cook unlucky

lyth bats for his place in the 2nd innings.......

Comment

Originally posted by plastic View Post

both stokes and cook unlucky

lyth bats for his place in the 2nd innings.......
                            Yup ..... and ditto Ballance and the Bellender!

I presume that you're giving the Edgbaston scorecard a wide miss! :D

Comment

Originally posted by Old Dog View Post
                              Yup ..... and ditto Ballance and the Bellender!

I presume that you're giving the Edgbaston scorecard a wide miss! :D
                              I think Bell is fine. Ballance's career could safely be said to be in the balance.

Comment

Looks like we may well get two quick centuries tomorrow and then England to return and make the wicket look unplayable again
                                My computer thinks I'm gay
                                What's the difference anyway
                                When all the people do all day
                                Is stare into a phone

Comment

Working...
                                X