Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Cricketing thread. Restricted Admission, strictly no Philistines or yobs.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Piquet View Post
    Yes, England are 18 runs ahead of the Indian 1st innings total with nine wickets left.

What a turn around in less than a month since Red Herring's Post above.
    Absolutely Piquet. I think the new young lads are starting to get to grips with test cricket. The bowling attack looks a lot more balanced and potent. The only thing is India are poor away from home and were poor in England in the last test series.
    He's a guy who gets up at six o'clock in the morning regardless of what time it is.

Comment

Originally posted by the plastic paddy View Post
      England are playing some terrible cricket.
      Sorry to quote myself but that is an unbelievable turnaround from the Lords test. Genuinely shocked by the Indian batting.

Comment

Most peculiar English Batting/Indian Bowling figures for the series.

England batted only once in the First Test, being bowled out. They were bowled out twice in the Second Test. They declared twice with seven and four wickets down respectively in the Third Test. They batted only once, being bowled out, in each of the last two Tests.
        They, therefore lost (and India took) a total of only 61 wickets in the five Tests.

In the Third test, they did not enforce the follow-on, made 205 for 4 dec but needn't have batted at all. India fell 266 short. Had England made them follow on, they would have won by an innings and 51.
        Last edited by Piquet; 18th-August-2014, 15:20.

Comment

Any updates on Phil Hughes? He caught a bouncer on what appears to be the side of his head below the helmet line. He collapsed almost immediately and is in a critical condition in hospital at the moment. It looks like a freak occurrences but he's left fighting for his life at the moment.
          The Beatings Will Continue Until Morale Improves

Comment

According to here:
            • The ball missed his helmet and hit him on the side of his head.
            • he has been operated on.
            • he is in a Medically induced Coma.
            • he is on the Critical List.

The above link has a video of the incident.

Comment

Phil Hughes never regained consciousness and passed away earlier. It seemed a fairly standard ball, as tough as it is on his family and friends, I can't help but think about the poor bowler. Shocking stuff.

Comment

Terrible thing to wake up to. Bowler will be inconsolable. A freak accident.

Comment

The injury was described as "catastrophic" which ended up rupturing the vertebral artery.

The bowler, Sean Abbott, is only 22. That's an awful load for a young man to have to carry for the rest of his life.
                  The Beatings Will Continue Until Morale Improves

Comment

Poor lad and as others have said the bowler must be besides himself at the moment.

Having grown up in the UK and felt the smack of a cricket ball at close quarters off a bat I can tell you I'm surprised there hasn't been more freak accidents. Will the cricket authorities come under pressure now to ban bouncers? I'm sure they will from some quarters.
                    Life is good

Comment

I could see bouncers banned at lower levels but most kids are not quick enough to bowl one anyway. If you ever have bowled a bouncer in your life and I bowled quite a few, it does make you shudder a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by munstershane View Post
                        Poor lad and as others have said the bowler must be besides himself at the moment.

Having grown up in the UK and felt the smack of a cricket ball at close quarters off a bat I can tell you I'm surprised there hasn't been more freak accidents. Will the cricket authorities come under pressure now to ban bouncers? I'm sure they will from some quarters.
                        They ****ing hurt. I stopped one once with my mouth. **** that for a game of soldiers.
                        "We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

"Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy

"I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

Comment

God help all of them. A freak accident but a tragedy nonetheless
                          I am the million man.

Comment

RIP.

Comment

Shocking. R.I.P.
                              Yorn desh born, der ritt de gitt der gue,
                              Orn desh, dee born desh, de umn bork! bork! bork!

Comment

Absolutely horrible to wake up to that this morning. What a complete freak incident. Feel incredibly sorry for his family and friends and to that poor lad who threw the ball he must be absolutely beside himself, he's only 22 years of age..how do you even begin to process what's happened.

Ar dheis Dé go raibh a anam dílis.

The Maul is Back!! LONG LIVE THE MAUL!!

Stringer is bigger even than his own immense shadow. Pound for pound, he is the best tackler in the world. If you put him into bag of cats he\'d come out without a scratch. He was hit very late for Murphy\'s try. And when he got up, as we knew he would, the crowd cried his name as if he had just fixed the economy.Billy Keane-After Munster\'s famous loss to the AB\'s.

The Bull-Truly irreplaceable, a mountain of a man. 100 caps!!

Comment

Working...
                                X