Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Cricketing thread. Restricted Admission, strictly no Philistines or yobs.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jesus Poynter is not small. Big hitter too.
    The whole world cries out peace, freedom and a few less fat bastards eating all the pie.

Comment

Originally posted by sewa View Post
      http://www.bbc.com/sport/cricket/scorecard/88756

105/3 after 13.4, not bad, will be a hard target for them to win by 60 runs in 13.4 overs
      ??? Netherlands can't win by "runs" batting second. If they win it'll be by wickets. Unless, of course D/L comes into play.

Comment

How many overs is each bowler allowed to bowl? Seems strange that Holland have used seven already
        My computer thinks I'm gay
        What's the difference anyway
        When all the people do all day
        Is stare into a phone

Comment

Originally posted by Piquet View Post
          ??? Netherlands can't win by "runs" batting second. If they win it'll be by wickets. Unless, of course D/L comes into play.
          http://www.rte.ie/sport/cricket/2014...d-netherlands/
          Is stare into a phone

Comment

Three sixes in a row from Poynter. 140 for 3 off 16.

Comment

5 bowlers can have 4 each i thought. I think they are trying everyone once to try contain Ireland.
              The whole world cries out peace, freedom and a few less fat bastards eating all the pie.

Comment

Poynter brings up his fifty by going 6, 6, 6, 1, 4, 4 and 1 in consecutive balls. 149 for 3 off 16.3

Comment

RTE are wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Piquet View Post
                    RTE are wrong.
                    About winning by 60 runs with 6 overs to spare (how?) or just generally?
                    english by birth

Comment

they bring on Van Beek and his first two deliveries both go for six. 18 off the over. 179 for 3 after 19.

Comment

Do you think they'll give the last over to the wicketkeeper so he doesn't feel left out?
                        english by birth

Comment

189/4 after 20 overs, using 8 bowlers was pure madness
                          Is stare into a phone

Comment

Originally posted by munster by marriage View Post
                            About winning by 60 runs with 6 overs to spare (how?) or just generally?
                            The team batting first sets a target. The team batting second tries to make that target plus one. If they do, they win by the number of wickets they have left. if they don't, they lose by the number of runs that they were behind when their innings closed.

For instance, earlier this morning, UAE batted first and got 116 for nine. Zimbabwe batted second, needing to get 117 to win. they got 118 for 5 and so won by five wickets.

Earlier in the tournament, Nepal batted first against Hong Kong and got 149 for 8. Hong Kong needed to get 150 to win but only got 69 and so Nepal won by 80.

The team batting first can only win by runs. The team batting second can only win by wickets.

The only exception to this that I know is where the second innings of a match cannot be completed and the Duckworth Lewis method is used. This happened on Wednesday when Ireland were on 103 in 14.2 overs chasing 123. the D/L method calculated that Ireland's target after 14.2 overs should have been 82 and they were deemed to have won by 21 runs.

Ireland's innings is over 189 for 4. Poynter was caught from the last ball. Netherlands need 190 to win and they need to get them in 14.1 overs to qualify.

Comment

Ah, sure its so obvious. Nice one Piquet
                              Is stare into a phone

Comment

13.5 runs an over the Dutch target so
                                Is stare into a phone