Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Cricketing thread. Restricted Admission, strictly no Philistines or yobs.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

13 for none at Stumps.

England must score another 385 more tomorrow to win.

Not going to happen.

They'll need to bat through the day to salvage the draw.

Comment

A former Boss of mine told me today that he was at the Oval in '65 when South Africa set England 398 to win.

​​​​​​They were 308 for 4 with 75 minutes to go when rain stopped play.

I can't see that happening tomorrow, but you never know

Comment

Australia SHOULD win. Certainly England will not, Lyon will tie one end down and if they go after him wickets WILL fall. But if they survive Lyon, the quicks might not get much joy and rain is also possible. But wickets naturally deteriorate over the days if a match - with no grass growing etc the surface breaks up, the spinners get a lot of help and by the 5th day the wicket can be treacherous for a batsman against spin bowling. I don't know the story of the Oval match it's quite possible the wicket got more benign and was easy for batting on the 5th day. This Edgebaston wicket is now turning a lot and with bounce and uneven bounce. So England cannot take Lyon on which effective cancels out half their scoring overs tomorrow.

Comment

As you said yourself above, only two teams have won scoring more than 200 in the 4th Innings, in Edgbaston.

That tells us all we need to know about the wicket, I think.

Comment

Roy GONE! Big wicket as he scores fast and can inhibit the bowler. Ball turning big for Lyon. Be a miracle for England to save this.

Comment

97/7. All batsmen GONE. Had a feeling at lunch they might not get to tea. Unlikely to get to 3 pm now.

Comment

England all out for 146, Australia win by 251 and go 1-0 up in the five test series.

Comment

Working...
                X