Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Cricketing thread. Restricted Admission, strictly no Philistines or yobs.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

O'Brien's hundred reminded me of when I was a small boy listening to the (famous) second test of 1963 at Lord's between England and the West Indies. Basil Butcher finished the third day on 129 not out. It was the first time I had heard the term "Century" not meaning a hundred years.

He was out for 133 the following day out of a total of 229 all out.

England needed 234 to win. Colin Cowdrey had retired hurt with a broken arm but he came back out with England on 228 for nine and two balls left.

He stood at the non-striker's end while Allen fended both deliveries off and the match was drawn.

EDIT "Firey" Freddie Trueman took eleven wickets in the Match.
    Last edited by Piquet; 15th-May-2018, 13:38. Reason: An eye witness told me last night that Cowdrey was the non striker at the end.

Comment

Max of 5 overs left
      Still there's a light I hold before me
      You're the measure of my dreams
      The measure of my dreams.

Comment

O'Brien has had a number of narrow escapes.

He's wrecked, I'd say.

EDIT He's been out there for 70.5 overs and has faced 216 balls. No wonder he's Flahed
        Last edited by Piquet; 14th-May-2018, 18:03.

Comment

319 for 7 , o brien 118 not out , great display from kob
          Still there's a light I hold before me
          You're the measure of my dreams
          The measure of my dreams.

Comment

Over for the day. Do the have any realistic chance or is the draw the best that they can hope for?
            Seven social sins: politics without principles, wealth without work, pleasure without conscience, knowledge without character, commerce without morality, science without humanity, and worship without sacrifice

Comment

They have finished for the day.

Ireland are 319 for 7, 139 ahead.

Comment

Originally posted by scotscor View Post
                Over for the day. Do the have any realistic chance or is the draw the best that they can hope for?

You never know. If they could stay there 'till Lunch, and set Pakistan something around 175, anything could happen.

Comment

Originally posted by Piquet View Post
                  You never know. If they could stay there 'till Lunch, and set Pakistan something around 175, anything could happen.
                  The mocker Gods approve heartily of this post.

In my humble opinion we should be happy to just be blitzed out of it tomorrow morning, tug the forelock, watch the masters hit every inch of rope for the rest of the day and thank our lucky stars we were on the same oval as them.

Comment

G’wan AfH!
                    "It’s not the team you support, it’s the club you should support. The team on the pitch will ebb and flow because that’s the nature of sport. No team has ever been successful decade on decade. The club has the history and that’s the passion you should have."

Comment

Worst possible start this morning with KOB going first ball. Boyd Rankin in with Tyrone Kane now to immediately claim the record for most northern Protestant named pairing in test cricket history.

Dig in lads.
                      "It’s not the team you support, it’s the club you should support. The team on the pitch will ebb and flow because that’s the nature of sport. No team has ever been successful decade on decade. The club has the history and that’s the passion you should have."

Comment

Massive ask for the tail enders to get to lunch. I wonder was the instruction this morning to try put 50 on the score and set a decent target or dig in and play for a draw.
                        He's a guy who gets up at six o'clock in the morning regardless of what time it is.

Comment

all gone, target of 160. Time for the raindance
                          Seven social sins: politics without principles, wealth without work, pleasure without conscience, knowledge without character, commerce without morality, science without humanity, and worship without sacrifice

Comment

2 Pakistani batsmen gone in the first four overs! 14/2.

Holy god.

Comment

3 gone!!

Holy mary mother of god

Comment

Don’t be bringing God into it. Very strict blasphemy laws in Pakistan dontcha know.

Whatever the instructions were this morning they’ll have to go for it now. Draw is very unlikely with the batting time remaining.

Comment

Working...
                                X