No announcement yet.

Cork City Football Club

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The world cup has me interested in football again. I'm even thinking of subbing to the Now TV Sky Sports package. Another alternative is going to a City game. I do fear the reaction to me as a bandwagoner, where I have about as much aptitude for football as I have for rocket surgery. Is it a pleasant enough experience at the games? €15 for a ticket seems pretty alright.

Edit: And what I mean by the "experience at the games" is that within a week of watching the world cup, I've seen more outright hostile racism, sexism, homophobia and transphobia than I have in a long time in rugby. Rugby is far from perfect, but the "banter" culture around football is really offputting.
    Last edited by Mrenda; 21st-June-2018, 09:02.

Comment

You won't see any of those things at a Cork City game, bar anti-Dublin racism.

Comment

Originally posted by whimpersnap View Post
        You won't see any of those things at a Cork City game, bar anti-Dublin racism.
        Christ you Dubs are insufferably arrogant but you're not a separate race ya know (sub-species perhaps but not a race)

Comment

This is exactly the kind of racism I'm talking about.

Comment

Originally posted by whimpersnap View Post
            This is exactly the kind of racism I'm talking about.
            Ah surely the Cork lads are funnier then me

Comment

Ah yes, the Shed often used to greet the likes of Shamrock Rovers by inviting them to "**** off back to Dublin" forgetting that in such games, the Ref is almost invariably from Dublin as well.

They don't do it so much lately.

Getting back to on-field matters, the next few games in the Cross are Portsmouth in a Preseason game (for them) on the 2nd of July, the aforementioned Shams on the 6th in the League and Legia Warsaw on the 10th in the Champions' League Qualifiers.

Tickets for the first two are available in the Shop in the Douglas Village Shopping Centre or on the night outside the ground. Neither game is likely to sell out.

Tickets for the Champions' League game are confined to Members and Season Ticket holders at the moment, public sales will follow.

EDIT The Portsmouth game kicks off at seven. There's another friendly v Burnley on the 13th, also at seven. The Shams and Legia games kick off at the usual time of 7:45.
              Last edited by Piquet; 21st-June-2018, 13:29.

Comment

Originally posted by Piquet View Post
                Ah yes, the Shed often used to greet the likes of Shamrock Rovers by inviting them to "**** off back to Dublin" forgetting that in such games, the Ref is almost invariably from Dublin as well.
                "I'd rather be a Paki than a Dub" is one I've heard many times. And I've heard similar chants from Rovers and Bohs fans, but at all clubs these neanderthals are told to shut up by the majority of normal people. At least we're not English rugby fans singing slave songs without a hint of irony

Comment

Tickets for Cork City v Legia Warsaw are available in the Club Shop in the Douglas Village Shopping Centre. See here

You'll need a "proof of purchase" for a City League match this season, to get one.

If anyone is interested, I have a number of match tickets from earlier in the season.

Send me a PM if you'd like one.

Comment

City at home to the Shams and the Ref's from.................................Limerick!!!

That's the opposite to the Tom Jones song.

Comment

The officials have just missed a stonewall Pen for City immediately followed by a Red card for a City player.

They're also allowing the Shams' 'keeper to take the best part of a minute over each Goal Kick.
                      Mind you, City aren't playing great either.

Comment

Now let me get it out at the start, City were shyte tonight.

There was never any danger of a goal at either end except for the Pen that City missed.

Both teams, particularly the Shams made some good play in midfield but neither found anything in the proverbial final third.

Their respective ineptitudes, however, pale into insignificance when compared to that of Mr Hennessy, the Man in Pink.

As mentioned above, he didn't start well but his performance got worse with time. Failure to apply an advantage, missing obvious frees, giving them where no obvious offence occurred, stepping out the ten yards for a free, marking the line with his shaving foam and standing two or three yards away while players overstepped the mark without sanction are only some examples of his foulups.

If there was any justice, his whistle would be confiscated.

EDIT 3749 unfortunates witnessed that performance, for our sins.
                        Last edited by Piquet; 6th-July-2018, 21:29.

Comment

Scoreless at Halftime at the Cross. Legia are significantly better than anyone City have faced so far this Season.

That includes the Duns.

Having said that, neither ' keeper had had much to do so far.

The Ref is most assuredly not a Homer.

Comment

0-1 in the end. 5795 there. Small for a sell-out, although there were a good few empty seats to be seen. City had two chances. One from a corner where Legia digressed from the current fashion and had a defender on the back post who cleared off the line.

Beatty shot narrowly wide after a good run shortly afterwards but with about ten minutes left , Legia got a free on the right thirty yards or so out. They put it straight across to the inside left channel from where Kucharczyk put it in the top corner.

They were far more skilful than City but on the few occasions that City managed to press their defence, they seemed to show a bit of the Corporal Jones Syndrome.

Comment

Cork City Football Club

Cork beat 3-0 in Poland tonight. Will now go into the Champions path in the Europa League. Good news is that they got a bye in R2 of EL and the draw for R3 is on Monday.

Even if they go out in EL R3, will still pocket around €1.3MN from the campaign.
                              Last edited by neill_m; 18th-July-2018, 08:03.

Comment

Cork have drawn the loser of the Celtic/Rosenborg tie in the Europa League 3rd Qualifying Round.

Comment

Working...
                                X