No announcement yet.

Cheltenham festival thoughts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does "Brain Injury" include spinal chord injury, I wonder.

Comment

Originally posted by Piquet View Post
      Does "Brain Injury" include spinal chord injury, I wonder.
      I wouldnt think so. But no Brain injury is a blessing. Lets hope they get some good news regarding the spine
      When their numbers dwindled from 50 to 8, the other dwarves began to suspect Hungry

Comment

Originally posted by Benji View Post
        I wouldnt think so. But no Brain injury is a blessing. Lets hope they get some good news regarding the spine
        Fingers crossed for him. To be positive, to see the recovery of Peter Toole shows that miracles can happen. He might not be there yet but his early prognosis was absolutely brutal and to see him riding the horse simulator a while back on ATR was something I never thought I would see. Best wishes to JT.

Comment

Taken from Sky Sports.......

Jockey JT McNamara, who fractued two vertebrae in a shocking fall at the Cheltenham Festival, is set to be transferred to a hospital in Dublin in order to be closer to his family.

The 37-year-old remains in a stable condition at Frenchay Hospital near Bristol, having been airlifted there from the racecourse after his fall from Galaxy Rock in the Fulke Walwyn Kim Muir Chase 10 days ago.

A statement issued on Monday afternoon jointly by Dr Adrian McGoldrick, Irish Turf Club Senior Medical Officer and Lisa Hancock, CEO of the Injured Jockeys Fund on behalf of the McNamara Family, said: "JT McNamara remains in a stable condition at Frenchay Hospital, Bristol. He is now fully alert but requires full time ventilation at present.

"In due course JT will be transferred to the National Spinal Unit at The Mater Hospital, Dublin where he will be closer to his family. His wife Caroline and family very much appreciate everyone's continued good wishes and prayers on JT's behalf."

A popular figure in the weighing room as well as being one of the sport's leading amateur riders, McNamara was a winner at last year's Festival on Teaforthree, now a leading Grand National contender. His injury cast a shadow over the remainder of the Festival, with winning jockeys and trainers admitting that they felt unable to celebrate while their thoughts lay with their colleague.

Comment

Collected my winnings (€25!!!) yesterday! Janey mac but those betting shops are like an alternate universe.... I was waiting for the lady to be free to take my ticket and about 3 men rushed the counter, pushed in front of me, and practically threw their money at her! Bloody hell, tis a war zone in there... that and the vacant look on all the faces was enough to send me running for the hills.

Gave the shop assistant a laugh though when I said I was there to collect my Cheltenham winnings!
            The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man - George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by SecondRowGal View Post
              Collected my winnings (€25!!!) yesterday! Janey mac but those betting shops are like an alternate universe.... I was waiting for the lady to be free to take my ticket and about 3 men rushed the counter, pushed in front of me, and practically threw their money at her! Bloody hell, tis a war zone in there... that and the vacant look on all the faces was enough to send me running for the hills.

Gave the shop assistant a laugh though when I said I was there to collect my Cheltenham winnings!
              No single place will ever give you a clearer indication of what a locality is really like than the bookies. Pleased you made it out in one piece SRG!!??!!

Comment

Injured jockey John Thomas McNamara is said to be in “a very positive frame of mind” despite confirmation today that the serious neck injury he suffered at Cheltenham over two weeks ago has resulted in paralysis.

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/raci...ysis-1.1343439
                Please support Milford Hospice. Click here to donate.

Comment

Jesus. That's a v sad outcome :(
                  The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man - George Bernard Shaw

Comment

As Clare Balding said, it is the only sport where an ambulance follows the action. It will be cold comfort but at least, thanks to Lord Oaksey there is a proper fund to support lads and lasses who wind up like John Thomas.

Comment

Originally posted by fitzy73 View Post
                      Injured jockey John Thomas McNamara is said to be in “a very positive frame of mind” despite confirmation today that the serious neck injury he suffered at Cheltenham over two weeks ago has resulted in paralysis.

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/raci...ysis-1.1343439
                      This is a sports story that is deeply tragic. What happened in Glasgow tonight is almost irrelevant. Good luck to JT.
                      "I don't believe in fairytales," O'Connell once told me, "even though it feels like I've been lucky enough to live through a few. However it ends, I'll feel lucky."
                      Donald McRae, Guardian Rugby, October 2015

Comment

Have they said what level of paralysis?

Trying to be positive, but paraplegic is obviously better than quadriplegic.
                        "If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards - checkmate!" Zapp Brannigan

Comment

From the neck down.
                          Tic-Toc. POC and DOC. Stop the clock.

Comment

Working...
                          X