Cheltenham festival thoughts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cheltenham festival thoughts

Champion hurdle is the race of the meeting for me ..... Binocular (champion), Menorah (course& distance), Peddlars Cross (C&D plus never lost a race) , Hurricane Fly (is his Irish form solid enough?)

Also any thoughts on a horse called Rock on Ruby? [img]smileys/cool.gif[/img]
    James Lovelock - "Enjoy life while you can. Because if you're lucky it's going to be 20 years before it hits the fan."

I think the bookies will make an absolute fortune.
    We'll engrave your name in gold, as we did in days of old.
    Roll along lovely Axel, roll along.

Comment

Have backed Fiveforthree for the world hurdle at 33/1, he's now 16's. Might get placed.

Anybody else think that Kauto looks a big price at 7/1 or so, or am I being silly?
      Wally_fan 25/04/09
      \"bump bump bump, trying to keep the thread up there. holy mary im drunk. and in love with trish. although you all dont care about that. doesnt matter, i still love her\"

Comment

I don't think hes up to it anymore.
        We'll engrave your name in gold, as we did in days of old.
        Roll along lovely Axel, roll along.

Comment

Sure he was 12/1 in places after the KG now that was a big price .... Is he not up to it after one bad race? ...........

James Lovelock - "Enjoy life while you can. Because if you're lucky it's going to be 20 years before it hits the fan."

Comment

Originally posted by moritz

Champion hurdle is the race of the meeting for me ..... Binocular (champion), Menorah (course& distance), Peddlars Cross (C&D plus never lost a race) , Hurricane Fly (is his Irish form solid enough?)

Should be a cracking race alright. Heading over for the week and can't wait. You're right about Peddlers Cross never been beaten and he has course form but never run C&D.

Comment

Originally posted by garryowen2323

Should be a cracking race alright. Heading over for the week and can't wait. You're right about Peddlers Cross never been beaten and he has course form but never run C&D.

Heading for week myself. Agree CH looks like the race of the week. Couldnt have Peddlers Cross to be honest, not fluent enough over his hurdles for a race like this, every hurdle the like of Binocular will be making ground on him. Would love to see him winning it but just think lacking the class against this type of opposition.

Menorahs form stands up, winner of Supreme Novice last year, won the greatwood under top weight in testing conditions, v impressive in beating cue card and Silviano Conte (whos form sincehas not added to Menorah to be fair). battler who hasnt been taken to the edge of his talents yet, stable in form, Im on it for value since early Jan? Do I think he will win? No to be perfectly honest.

Dont think Hurricane Fly desrves the quote he has. Hasnt won at the festival, unsure about his ability to come up the hill, hype now based on two wins in Leop over Solwhit (who would be 20s+ if he was entered). I wouldnt be backing HF anyways.

Mille Chief decent price and probably has the quality required, maybe a year too soon, would need to be beating Celestial halo by far more than he did on Saturday to look like a champion.

Leaves Binocular, Peddlers beat him first day out but would say Bonouclar wasnt race ready, has been v impressive in 2 of 3 wins since. Outstanding over the sticks, proven champion, comes up the hill, trainer in outstanding form, champion jockey on his back. Current price will look huge if he wins.

Interesting one tomorrow, Starluck is running over fences for the first time. Entered in Arkle, if he wins tomorrow I think he will be short for the Arkle and is a live contender

Comment

Agree that Kauto is past his best - not a bad e/w at that price. Hard to see beyond Binocular for me (pun intended)

Comment

Originally posted by ciaranb
                  Agree that Kauto is past his best - not a bad e/w at that price. Hard to see beyond Binocular for me (pun intended)

Agreed. Looked past it winning in Down Royal and was well beat in King George, only possible explanation being that he was wound up for Stephens Day and the delay didnt suit him. Long Run looks a decent price

Comment

Originally posted by bobbin
                    Originally posted by garryowen2323

Heading for week myself. Agree CH looks like the race of the week. Couldnt have Peddlers Cross to be honest, not fluent enough over his hurdles for a race like this, every hurdle the like of Binocular will be making ground on him. Would love to see him winning it but just think lacking the class against this type of opposition.

Menorahs form stands up, winner of Supreme Novice last year, won the greatwood under top weight in testing conditions, v impressive in beating cue card and Silviano Conte (whos form sincehas not added to Menorah to be fair). battler who hasnt been taken to the edge of his talents yet, stable in form, Im on it for value since early Jan? Do I think he will win? No to be perfectly honest.

Dont think Hurricane Fly desrves the quote he has. Hasnt won at the festival, unsure about his ability to come up the hill, hype now based on two wins in Leop over Solwhit (who would be 20s+ if he was entered). I wouldnt be backing HF anyways.

Mille Chief decent price and probably has the quality required, maybe a year too soon, would need to be beating Celestial halo by far more than he did on Saturday to look like a champion.

Leaves Binocular, Peddlers beat him first day out but would say Bonouclar wasnt race ready, has been v impressive in 2 of 3 wins since. Outstanding over the sticks, proven champion, comes up the hill, trainer in outstanding form, champion jockey on his back. Current price will look huge if he wins.

Interesting one tomorrow, Starluck is running over fences for the first time. Entered in Arkle, if he wins tomorrow I think he will be short for the Arkle and is a live contender

Agree with pretty much all of that!

Peddlers - needs further, not quick enough but will stay on. Somersby-esque

Menorah - Was at the Greatwood and looks good. Bothy ran well last weekend too to help the form. If Cue Card wins before the Champion on Tuesday then form will look even better

Hurricane Fly - Very hard to know how he will manage the hill having no course form. Could be anything but priced about right. Got stung 2 years ago saying same thing about Go Native thinking he'd blow up once he hit the hill

Binocular - Has to be favourite and will be shorter on the day. Unreal quick over the hurdles. Has everything going for him. Can put a line through first run this year. Nowhere near fit enough

I struggle to see Starluck getting up the hill in the arkle personally but fences may be perfect for him. Should be very itneresting viewing tomorrow

Comment

I really like the look of <S&#079;NG>Unaccompanied</S&#079;NG> in the Triumph at 6/1 [img]smileys/cool.gif[/img]

Comment

Even more confused the more I look at the Champion hurdle - will be a cracker!

Any thoughts on Bensalem (like him but can't the the niggling feeling at the back of my mind that he is a bridle horse??)

Also any thoughts on Knight Pass for the bumper ?

Comment

Agreed re the CH, more I look the more I can make a case for most of em. Dunquib might be value to run into a place, if you take Menorahs formline from last years Supreme Novices then Dunguib wont be far away from it at anything liek that form. The Novice ws only 3 secs slower than the CH last yr, thats menorah right in the mix and takes from Binoculars win somewhat.

Read somewhere that 40+ Montjeus had run in the champion hurdle over the years and none had won, thats a massive negative for the fly.

Comment

Are you sure its not 40+ run at Chelt from Montjeu ?

Comment

probably is Moritz, was thinking that I must have misheard it. Makes the stat all the worse then, that they couldnt win any breed of race there [img]smileys/shock.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                              X