MMA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MMA

Just wanted to start a more general thread here for MMA, for news & links on events, rather than using the older UFC ones.

Trying to get some links for the Strikeforce event shortly

This Saturday, Strikeforce and M-1 GLOBAL will make history when they present a Mixed Martial Arts fight card that will feature the universally recognized No. 1 male and female fighters in the world stepping into the same cage on the same night for the first time.
    Fedor “The Last Emperor” Emelianenko , the world’s No. 1 pound for pound fighter, will take on Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu black belt and top-ranked heavyweight Fabricio Werdum in the main event. The No. 1 female fighter, Cris Cyborg, will defend her Strikeforce Women’s World 145-pounds Championship against Jan Finney in the semi-main.
    Cung Le and Josh Thomson will also appear in featured fights on Saturday.
    Le, of San Jose, is a former Strikeforce middleweight titlist. He relinquished the belt last year to pursue an acting career that has since spawned two major motion picture releases, but returned Dec. 19, 2009, at HP Pavilion to face Sacramento’s Scott Smith. Le dominated before losing via a shocking third-round KO. He’ll take on Smith in a rematch of one of MMA’s most epic come-from-behind knockouts.
    Thomson, of San Jose, will return to the cage for the first time since losing the Strikeforce world lightweight title to top rival Gilbert “El Nino” Melendez on Dec. 19, 2009. He’ll face dangerous submission artist Pat “Bam Bam” Healy in a lightweight bout.

Looking forward to fights with Cung Le and Cris Santos in particular!

links- 1 so far
    Last edited by LuckyDucker; 24th-February-2013, 02:20.

116 for UFC tonight. G'wan Carwin [img]smileys/smile.gif[/img]

This is better I think

Comment

Strikeforce is on Bravo 2, channel 153 on Sky (also featuring some good womens welterweight fights)

Comment

Good news for mma followers with sky sports!

UFC lands Sky Sports deal</span></font>

Sky Sports will screen the first UK showing of the new 13-week Ultimate Fighter series, it has been announced.

By Gareth A Davies
        13 Sep 2010

The deal to screen the Team GSP v Team Koscheck Series from Sept 21 on Sky Sports 2 represents a major move forward in broadcasting for the leading mixed martial arts organisation, UFC.

Marshall Zelaznik, president of the UFC’s International Division, told Telegraph Sport: “It is hard to build a sport on a narrow distribution platform, and our plan is to allow fans to see the product as inexpensively as possible. We are always conscious of how we make the sport more accessible and more available.”

While the sport is clearly growing rapidly in the UK, Zelaznik admits that building mixed martial arts “is a fragile process”.

He said: “Putting The Ultimate Fighter on Sky will create a halo effect of mainstream awareness. We are probably three or four years behind the US. We are trying to get it exposed to a new sports fan. We know we already have a solid fan base, but being on the Sky platform means an even bigger market to showcase the sport to mainstream sports fans.”

“Misconceptions about the sport are breaking down as more people become aware of it. They will see on this series that these are real athletes, with real dreams.”

This season of The Ultimate Fighter features 28 of the world’s best lightweight (11stone 1lbs) prospects competing in an elimination tournament to crown the next Ultimate Fighter and win a six-figure contract with the UFC.

The competitors will be split into two teams - one coached by UFC Welterweight Champion Georges St-Pierre, the other by No1 contender Josh Koscheck - and endure a gruelling regime of jiu-jitsu, judo, Muay Thai, karate, boxing and wrestling in a state-of-the-art Las Vegas training facility.

The intense competition between the teams will continue after they leave the gym - at the Ultimate Fighter House.

The two finalists will square off in a finale held in front of a sold out Las Vegas crowd, where the winner will be declared “The Ultimate Fighter”. UFC President Dana White will once again serve as host of the series, with Mike Tyson featuring in the first episode.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/oth...oxingandmma/79 99460/UFC-lands-Sky-Sports-deal.html

Comment

Tom Watson vs Alex Reid is being shown live on Bravo shortly, starts at 10 (channel 123 on Sky)

Mir vs CroCrop at UFC 119 later
          http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/sport/g...es/100012682/u fc-119-mir-to-stop-faded-crocop-and-telegraph-tipping-chart/

Comment

G'wan LD you hot bit of stuff!!

Comment

Watched that Reid v Watson fight last night. Was more like a bar room brawl, very entertaining mind. Watson should keep fighting guys at that level and he could have a good career, God love him if he ever meets someone good.
              \"There is no need for temples, no need for complicated philosophies. My brain and my heart are my temples; my philosophy is kindness\".
              Dalai Lama

Comment

Why is it they always use that stupid cliche, pound for pound, and what's the name of these block busting martial arts movies so I can avoid them when I see them on the bargain shelf in the rental store.

psychoanalysis is wasted on the Irish; Sigmund Freud

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTsFm...;feature=relat ed

classic K1 fight

Comment

Does anyone have anything to say about the boxing clinic up
                    in frankfield? Im going to give mma a go and just want to see
                    if anyone has anything to say about it.
                    its sore tackling the biggst man on the pitch but its even sorer watching that man run past you and score a try...snap them back in to reality...size is nothing in this game...

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Im7uo...;feature=relat ed

best staredown ever!

Comment

pm sent bazz

treatcity, ah... all I can suggest is avoid the Steven Seagal section?!

kaboom, have you seen this one? I think he's a little nuts alright[img]smileys/lol.gif[/img]

Comment

Lookin forward to tomorrow night [img]smileys/cool.gif[/img]
                          "Newmarket hit Clonlara hard in the first ten minutes but doing so to a team like Clonlara is like hitting a bear. Better off to play away and not to antagonise the beast."

Comment

link for 121

looking forward to brock lesnar vs cain velasquez, and tito ortiz vs matt hamill

Comment

i have it on espn [img]smileys/biggrin.gif[/img] lesnar is going kick a**

Comment

Working...
                              X