X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tippete7trees
    replied
    Originally posted by Piquet View Post
    Interesting analysis of the Derby by Kevin Blake [URLSo alt="https://www.attheraces.com/blogs/kevin-blake/05-July-2020/what-really-happened-in-the-derby-and-oaks"]here[/URL]
    Of course there's no guarantee that Love would have repeated the Oaks run,,,,,,,,,,,the main thing I get from it is Serpentine was a bit of an unknown factor so you can't blame the other jockeys too much, they reckon anyway there were almost flat out and assumed the 2 pacemakers would fall back. But Serpentine is out of Galileo and seems had a lot more quality then he necessarily showed in the few previous races other than his last one where maybe he found his mettle. A dark horse disguised as a chestnut. Unlike MFans where there's too many chestnuts disguised as dark horses.

Leave a comment:

• Piquet
    replied
    Interesting analysis of the Derby by Kevin Blake here

Leave a comment:

• Stanley
    replied
    Originally posted by tippete7trees View Post

Others jockeys getting stick for watching each other and not alert to Serpentine who can stay, it was obvious from 4 furlongs out he couldn't be caught, still going very very strong.
    As for Aidan O'Brien.................we will never see his like again. Touched by the gods. He's only in his late 40s, could end up with 16 Derby winners or more.
    Then we could have Joseph or Donnacha taking over.

Magnier's sons already embedded in Coolmore Stud's ambitions, AOB's sons will/should follow on the training side both had weight problems as jockeys but rode wonderful horses at the absolute top, a gap in their father's CV, now corrected, AOB must have rode every race beside them in the saddle.

The existing partnerships around ownership continue to expand with Coolmore the dominant partner, it is an unreal operation.

Questions about tax exist but they employ a lot of people, they have taken on the Arab money for 30 years and are well ahead.
    Last edited by Stanley; 5-July-2020, 20:53.

Leave a comment:

• tippete7trees
    replied
    Well, that was a bit of a turn up for the books.

Serpentine, with Emmet McNamara up, has won the Derby at 25/1, having led from start to finish.

He took off coming down the hill and just kept going.

Khalifa Sat was second at 50s and Amhrán Na Bhfiann was third at 66s.

The Tricast on the Tote paid £56K.

That's Aidan O'Brien's eighth win, a record.

and with seven different jockeys.
    Others jockeys getting stick for watching each other and not alert to Serpentine who can stay, it was obvious from 4 furlongs out he couldn't be caught, still going very very strong.
    As for Aidan O'Brien.................we will never see his like again. Touched by the gods. He's only in his late 40s, could end up with 16 Derby winners or more.
    Then we could have Joseph or Donnacha taking over.

Leave a comment:

• Piquet
    replied
    Well, that was a bit of a turn up for the books.

Serpentine, with Emmet McNamara up, has won the Derby at 25/1, having led from start to finish.

He took off coming down the hill and just kept going.

Khalifa Sat was second at 50s and Amhrán Na Bhfiann was third at 66s.

The Tricast on the Tote paid £56K.

That's Aidan O'Brien's eighth win, a record.

and with seven different jockeys.
    Last edited by Piquet; 4-July-2020, 16:25.

Leave a comment:

• Piquet
    replied
    Love completes the 1000 Guineas-Oaks double by seven lengths in a record time.

That's eight for Aidan O Brien.

Ennistymon was second.

Leave a comment:

• Piquet
    replied
    Originally posted by ormond lad View Post
    fairly certain there were no stalls as most of the stall handlers refused to work.
    Yes, according to the Grauniad, only four were willing to turn up and eleven are needed.

Leave a comment:

• ormond lad
    replied
    No Stalls in Leicester. Presumably that's to keep the handlers away.

The favourite in the 5:45 had an awful start and looked to me to have lost by a nose.

The Judge thought otherwise. I'd like to see the photo
    fairly certain there were no stalls as most of the stall handlers refused to work.

Leave a comment:

• Piquet
    replied
    No Stalls in Leicester. Presumably that's to keep the handlers away.

The favourite in the 5:45 had an awful start and looked to me to have lost by a nose.

The Judge thought otherwise. I'd like to see the photo

Leave a comment:

• Piquet
    replied
    Frankie Dettori wins the Coronation Stakes and now has won every Royal Ascot Group One race and, it seems, he only needs the July Cup to complete all of the English Group Ones.

The second was returned at 16/5. I haven't seen that price before. (I suppose it's just out from 100/30)

Leave a comment:

• Piquet
    replied
    Betty has a winner in the Windsor Palace, appropriately enough

He was 7/1 yesterday, started at 7/2.

Did the owner plunge, I wonder?

Leave a comment:

• Piquet
    replied
    Question
    Hukum has just won the 2:25 at Royal Ascot, there now.

I have a question. The horse was down to carry 8-11, according to the Irish Times and (on line) At The Races but the jockey has just weighed in at 9-1. There was no mention before, during or after the race of any overweight being carried.

What's the story?

Leave a comment:

• Piquet
    replied
    A good win for Love in the Guineas today a good price too, for a Coolmore horse, 4/1. She was always prominent, on the outside, within a few lengths of the leader, took the lead with about a furlong to go and pulled away. She's 2/1 at best for the Oaks.

Like yesterday, the favourite Quadrilateral, was third. She was a bit keen in the opening furlong or so and never really settled, according to her jockey. She'd like a bit further so we could see the two meeting again at Epsom.

Leave a comment:

• Piquet
    replied
    It's back to ITV for Virgin One today.

There was a lot less "fluff", yesterday with the Racing TV coverage

Leave a comment:

• Piquet
    replied
    The Winter Favourite for the Guineas, Pinatubo, was third today.

A furlong out, he was "near enough, if good enough" as the cliché has it, but didn't get the trip, for me.

Kameko, with Oisín Murphy up, won it by a neck from Witchita, one of the O'Brien quartet.

It was Murphy's first English Classic.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X