X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• eoinmc
    started a topic Horse Racing Thread

Horse Racing Thread

2000 Guineas about to get underway in Newmarket.

St Nicholas Abbey was a classy 2yr old last year and could be
    something special if he goes on to win here.

Here he is winning the Racing Post Trophy last year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjTgpAOK_Vs

• blackwarrior
    replied
    I hadn't watched the National in years but did so yesterday with a family group and enjoyed it. Brilliant TV coverage, Aintree looked great and what a ride by Russell and Tiger Roll. And the Irish owned the place after the finish.

Leave a comment:

• the plastic paddy
    replied
    Originally posted by Piquet View Post
    Watching the racing recently, it seems to me that, across the water, all National Hunt races now start about 50 yards behind the Start Line.

Should they not add a quarter of a furlong to the distances?
    Certainly makes an absolute Horlicks of those who rely on time in their studies. Brilliant performance from little Tiger Roll to win the Grand National yesterday. He could be called the winner from miles out. Masterful ride from Davy Russell, if you ever needed someone to ride for your life he would be the man. The Wylie’s run of dreadful luck continued as their runner was the sole fatality in the race, and the first for seven years. A most enjoyable meeting although I hope, in Ireland, you were spared the utter gibberish that came out of the mouth of Bryony Frost on the ITV coverage, lovely kid and cracking jockey but she cannot string a coherent sentence together!! Looking forward to Punchestown now!!!

Leave a comment:

• Piquet
    replied
    Watching the racing recently, it seems to me that, across the water, all National Hunt races now start about 50 yards behind the Start Line.

Should they not add a quarter of a furlong to the distances?

Leave a comment:

• Piquet
    replied
    I was down the Bookies today and saw the betting on the 4:10 at Newcastle. There was a market on "without the favourite" and to finish in the top two. Nothing curious there, you might say, but what I thought was curious was that the leading three in the "top two" market were respectively 4/9, 4/9 and 4/11. The race was won by one of the joint second favourites with the other one second and the favourite third.

A more curious market was the one on the 4.20 at Warwick. The "to finish second" market also featured three odds on shots at 4/9, 4/7 and 8/11, but what I found most peculiar was that the Second Favourite was the horse left out in the "without" market. As it happened, the favourite won.

Leave a comment:

• Stanley
    replied
    Sir Erec, favourite for the Triumph Hurdle, had to be reshod before the race, tragically broke a leg halfway around and had to be put down.

Was still a full horse so monetary value was going to rise if he kept on winning, JP owned him and can well stand the monetary loss, 3 horses died this year, so sad for everyone concerned.

Leave a comment:

• Piquet
    replied
    Fourteen all in the Prestbury Cup.

Leave a comment:

• Piquet
    replied
    Willie Mullins had four runners in the Gold Cup.
    Going out for the last circuit, only one, Al Boum Photo, was left.

He went on to win it to give Mullins his first win in the race.

Unfortunately, one of his other runners, Invitation Only had to be put down.

Leave a comment:

• Piquet
    replied
    Sir Erec, favourite for the Triumph Hurdle, had to be reshod before the race, tragically broke a leg halfway around and had to be put down.
    Last edited by Piquet; 15th-March-2019, 16:22.

Leave a comment:

• lawrence
    replied
    And the bookies got a beating, always brings a smile to
    my face...

Leave a comment:

• the plastic paddy
    replied
    And Ted Walsh!!! Absolutely brilliant, “ If you don’t like racing, go watch Peppa Pig!”

Leave a comment:

• the plastic paddy
    replied
    What an absolutely amazing day it was today. Tinged with all sorts of emotions. My highlight, just, was Paisley Park winning the stayers for his lovely owner and Emma Lavelle, Barry Fenton and Aidan Coleman. But Bryony was fantastic. Sad that my favourite jockey Noel Fehily has decided to hang up his boots but hopefully he will get out in one piece, it does always give me the heebie jeebies when jockeys announce their retirement ahead of time... probably one of my favourite ever Cheltenham days and I didn’t win a penny...

Leave a comment:

• fitzy73
    replied
    Just about recovered from my trip there.

Not for the first time, Jamie Codd saved me a fortune!

Leave a comment:

• the plastic paddy
    replied
    Michael Fortune firstly told us that a punter bet £100,000 on Altior to win £40,000, then showed us the actual money.

If I had bet that much, I would have expected him to win a lot more easily, for my peace of mind.
    Odds on, watch on...

Leave a comment:

• Piquet
    replied
    Michael Fortune firstly told us that a punter bet £100,000 on Altior to win £40,000, then showed us the actual money.

If I had bet that much, I would have expected him to win a lot more easily, for my peace of mind.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X