No announcement yet.

Horse Racing Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Surprised at how quiet things were in Ballybrit for the week. Crowds not down but people spending money more in bars and little with the tote/bookies.
    think there was 17000 or so there yesterday but bookies down by a few hundred thousand

Comment

Bataash was wonderful like shlte off a shovel, he could have won by 6 more lengths, Hamdan's kid brother will not be taking over this one.

Comment

Stradivarius wins the Lonsdale at York and with it the £1,000,000 bonus.

He made hard work of it, winning by two lengths or so. He was never in any danger but if I had him backed at 4/11, I'd expect him to win a lot more easily.

Frankie reckoned he's not as good as he was at Royal Ascot.
        Last edited by Piquet; 24th-August-2018, 14:50.

Comment

Alpha Delphini (40s) beats Mabs Cross (12s) "by a pixel" in the words of the commentator in the Nunthorpe. Bataash was fourth for the second year in a row, finding nothing when asked.
          Last edited by Piquet; 26th-August-2018, 15:50.

Comment

Here's the photo from the Nunthorpe.
            The form book will say this was a race won by a nose, but in fact it was won by a single pixel on a photo print

Comment

Joe Schmidt has a horse called Cosmic Horizon running in the 16:25 race at Leopardstown tomorrow. Trained by Joseph O'Brien

Comment

Donnachadh O'Brien is asked, on ITV, "what is your greatest strength as a jockey?"

He replies "I'm Aidan O'Brien's son"

Comment

Originally posted by Piquet View Post
                  Donnachadh O'Brien is asked, on ITV, "what is your greatest strength as a jockey?"

He replies "I'm Aidan O'Brien's son"
                  The lad tells no lies, there is a lot more to it but that was like the starter question, he displays a better sense of humour than Joseph.

Comment

Wonderful training performance by Gosden with Enable yesterday, great ride by Frankie but can't help Sea of Class wins with a better draw, she thundered down the last 300m.

Comment

Wow, this thread has gone quiet!!! It has been a remarkably dry winter in Cheltenham but it looks like we are going to get a proper drop of rain between now and champion hurdle day. I walked around the course yesterday and it was already considerably wetter than at the beginning of February. I have heard mention of 40 mm of rain in the next ten days, coming on top of fairly extensive watering that could produce another soft ground meeting.

Comment

I'm heading to Cheltenham on Tuesday. Anything worth a punt?
                        Please support Milford Hospice. Click here to donate.

Comment

Something with flippers if this rain keeps falling!?!? A load more yesterday. I think it could even be heavy in places on Tuesday. And it is forecast to be quite cold all week, and Prestbury Park cold is colder than normal cold.

As for the racing? I think it is going to be a bookies benefit this year. My only hope is Lalor wins the Arkle, the way Hayley Woollcott has handled herself since her husband took his own life last year has been inspirational, might not do much to dry the ground though as there won’t be a dry eye in the house if he gets up the hill in front.

Willie Twiston Davies let the cat out of the bag about Al Dancer at Ascot, I understand they really do think he is the best they have had, I was mightily impressed but am not sure they will be appreciative of this rain.

The Champion Hurdle is going to be fascinating, I wonder whether Nicky Henderson might stick a pair of blinds on Buveur D’Air to sharpen him up as his best asset, his fantastic hurdling, has been letting him down this season. Apples Jade has looked good but I am not sure what she has beaten in the process. All this rain could play to Apples and Laurina who is a lovely big mare but, if he hurdles to his electric best I think I will stick with Buveur.

Comment

Originally posted by fitzy73 View Post
                            I'm heading to Cheltenham on Tuesday. Anything worth a punt?
                            You might need a boat-style punt with all the rain
                            "There are a lot of points that we’ve left behind and this is with a young group. That probably tells you what they’re capable of and that they’re a very good side.

Probably next year or the year after next they will take some stopping"

Anthony Foley, May 2016. Axel RIP

Comment

Havent looked completely beyond day 1 yet but Lalor in the Arkle, Laurina in Champion Hurdle and Ok Corral are 3 main bets i have for Tuesday

Comment

I was listening to the radio this afternoon and a jockey, whose name I can't remember, who is riding an Irish horse next week Tiger Roll or something that won the Cross Country last year and is expected to win again this year said that the horse will carry 11-4 or so this year and his waking weight every morning is 11-7.

​​​​​He said that he'll have to be 11-2 or so to make the weight and described how he will do this in such terms that I reckon he does this routinely.

That can't be good for one.

Comment

Working...
                                X