Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Horse Racing Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Originally posted by Benny View Post
    Outstanding performance from Many Clouds to win that race and I was so delighted when he passed the line. Then it all went wrong and I just had a numb feeling. He will go down as a warrior. Probably the best Grand National winner in many decades. A warrior who gave everything and is everything that is good about national hunt racing.
    On a par with Hedgehunter for me

    Comment


      Originally posted by garryowen2323 View Post
      Regarding the Richard Johnson debate above..........am I the only one who feels strongly about Ruby Walsh having the opposite problem to plastic paddy's view on Johnson. He must have the worst record of any jockey in history at getting over the final fence. Sits and completely lets it up to the horse to decide with no guidance at all. Drives me crazy! Every week he has final fence falls over both hurdles and fences

      Take today for example......Melon buckled at the last and was lucky to stand up, Royal Caviar fell at the last and Nichols Canyon fell at the last.
      You may go back and look at the two races again. He asked Melon for a jump at the last and he took off too early. Same with Nichols Canyon. If he had sat completely still, Nicholls would have stayed up and just popped it.
      I dont like the Guy but he is a different level from any other Jockey i have ever seen. The likes of McCoy(Amazing driven sportsman but so unnatural over fences)and Johnson wouldnt lace his boots!

      Comment


        To win a Gold Cup you need 3 things imo
        1. Jump
        2. Stamina
        3. Be able to dig in and fight

        Is Thistlecrack now value ? No Coneygree, Don Cossack or Vautour. Both Hedgehunter and Many Clouds were excellent GN winners but would be classed below par GC if either of the two had ever won the GC.
        James Lovelock - "Enjoy life while you can. Because if you're lucky it's going to be 20 years before it hits the fan."

        Comment


          Lads does anyone's know the story with Kevin Thornton and the investigation into him? Don't see any update since November online.

          I only ask because I'd mentioned Many Clouds death on track to the better half. She knows Thornton since childhood and saw how he was castigated last year
          "Newmarket hit Clonlara hard in the first ten minutes but doing so to a team like Clonlara is like hitting a bear. Better off to play away and not to antagonise the beast."

          Comment


            Originally posted by moritz View Post
            To win a Gold Cup you need 3 things imo
            1. Jump
            2. Stamina
            3. Be able to dig in and fight

            Is Thistlecrack now value ? No Coneygree, Don Cossack or Vautour. Both Hedgehunter and Many Clouds were excellent GN winners but would be classed below par GC if either of the two had ever won the GC.
            There is only 1 horse who is value and that's Djackadam at 7/1. Can't be out of the frame. Forget the run at Christmas. Outlander hasn't a hope of being placed.

            Comment


              1. Is Cue card past it or can you forgive him a poor run in the KG ?
              2. I am discarding the Lexus form, so kind of agree with Djackadam
              3. Native River is an out and out stayer and his weight carrying performance in the WN was excellent

              All in all looking like a poor GC , Thistlecrack may drift to 3/1 on the day and that is backable
              James Lovelock - "Enjoy life while you can. Because if you're lucky it's going to be 20 years before it hits the fan."

              Comment


                Originally posted by moritz View Post
                1. Is Cue card past it or can you forgive him a poor run in the KG ?
                2. I am discarding the Lexus form, so kind of agree with Djackadam
                3. Native River is an out and out stayer and his weight carrying performance in the WN was excellent

                All in all looking like a poor GC , Thistlecrack may drift to 3/1 on the day and that is backable
                1. He has had plenty tough races and wouldnt be one for me. There is no chance of Thistlecrack being 3/1 on the day.

                Comment


                  I looked up Many Clouds on Wiki last night and it seems he was descended from Northern Dancer (Great Grand Sire via Sadlers Wells (grand Sire) on his sire's side and from Roberto (Great Grand Sire) on his Dam's side.

                  I still remember Lester Piggott practically carrying Roberto over the line to win the '72 Derby by a Short Head from Rheingold.

                  These days he'd have been stood down for a good few weeks for the lathering he gave him in the last 100 yards

                  Comment


                    Originally posted by Piquet View Post
                    I looked up Many Clouds on Wiki last night and it seems he was descended from Northern Dancer (Great Grand Sire via Sadlers Wells (grand Sire) on his sire's side and from Roberto (Great Grand Sire) on his Dam's side.

                    I still remember Lester Piggott practically carrying Roberto over the line to win the '72 Derby by a Short Head from Rheingold.

                    These days he'd have been stood down for a good few weeks for the lathering he gave him in the last 100 yards
                    Not a soft bit of foam either!!!


                    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

                    Comment


                      Horse Racing Thread

                      Originally posted by Isa View Post
                      1. He has had plenty tough races and wouldnt be one for me. There is no chance of Thistlecrack being 3/1 on the day.
                      He might do if the bookies are having a good week which, this year, I think they might. Looks like Champagne West is going for it, anyway and into 20s now so my 33s looks good value. If Don Poli is on a going day the race could fall into his lap as well. Was walking the dog at the course today, all the marquees are flying up, jebus it is some operation!!!


                      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                      Last edited by the plastic paddy; 30th-January-2017, 17:10.

                      Comment


                        Originally posted by the plastic paddy View Post
                        He might do if the bookies are having a good week which, this year, I think they might. Looks like Champagne West is going for it, anyway and into 20s now so my 33s looks good value. If Don Poli is on a going day the race could fall into his lap as well. Was walking the dog at the course today, all the marquees are flying up, jebus it is some operation!!!


                        Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                        Backed Don Poli last year but is simply paceless and won't go close. Have been backing Djackadam for the last few weeks and will continue every week until the festival. They are very sweet on him.

                        Comment


                          Originally posted by Isa View Post
                          Backed Don Poli last year but is simply paceless and won't go close. Have been backing Djackadam for the last few weeks and will continue every week until the festival. They are very sweet on him.
                          I think Don Poli's issues are mental, myself. Whatever happens though, after watching Saturdays race back, a couple of times, Thistlecrack simply didn't stay and now that chink has been exposed I can't see the other lads letting up. I don't think it is a great GC, however.


                          Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

                          Comment


                            Originally posted by the plastic paddy View Post
                            I think Don Poli's issues are mental, myself. Whatever happens though, after watching Saturdays race back, a couple of times, Thistlecrack simply didn't stay and now that chink has been exposed I can't see the other lads letting up. I don't think it is a great GC, however.


                            Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                            No doubt Thistlecrack will stay. It's getting him settled and jumping is the problem and Tom Scu is not the man for that. If Davy or Ruby were on it I wouldn't lay him.
                            As for Don Poli he simply is not good enough and too slow.

                            Comment


                              Originally posted by Isa View Post
                              No doubt Thistlecrack will stay. It's getting him settled and jumping is the problem and Tom Scu is not the man for that. If Davy or Ruby were on it I wouldn't lay him.
                              As for Don Poli he simply is not good enough and too slow.
                              Unless Scudamore gets injured he will ride the horse.


                              Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

                              Comment


                                Originally posted by Isa View Post
                                You may go back and look at the two races again. He asked Melon for a jump at the last and he took off too early. Same with Nichols Canyon. If he had sat completely still, Nicholls would have stayed up and just popped it.
                                I dont like the Guy but he is a different level from any other Jockey i have ever seen. The likes of McCoy(Amazing driven sportsman but so unnatural over fences)and Johnson wouldnt lace his boots!
                                He's the best jockey to have on the best horse but I've seen him too often butcher races and for whatever reason ends up on the floor at the last far too often for my liking

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X