No announcement yet.

Horse Racing Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aussie trainer Bart Cummings sadly passed away over the weekend. Simply an incredible career spanning 62 years as a trainer.

Winner of 266 Group One races including 12 Melbourne Cups (5 of those he trained the first 2 home), 7 Caulfield Cups, 5 Cox Plates, 4 Golden Slippers, 9 VRC Oaks and 8 Newmarket Handicaps.

He spent millions in the late 80s on yearlings and was smashed by the recession in the early 90s losing millions but somehow kept the yard ticking over.

Comment

Hurricane Fly retired. No injuries, just run all his races. 10 wins from 10 races at Leopardstown, all grade ones.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Gibson View Post
        Hurricane Fly retired. No injuries, just run all his races. 10 wins from 10 races at Leopardstown, all grade ones.
        22 grade one wins a world record. Brilliant trainer performance out of Willie Mullins and his team to keep any horse going at that level for so long, to do it with a Montjeu who can be very temperamental is exceptional. Istabraq is still the best hurdler I have seen but Hurricane Fly is next in the list.

Comment

Will the current rain over the country affect the Leoparstown going enough for Gleneagles to be pulled out?

Comment

Originally posted by sparks View Post
            Fields of Athenry running in the 15:45 at York today
            Running in the St Leger at Doncaster today.

Comment

Originally posted by Piquet View Post
              Will the current rain over the country affect the Leoparstown going enough for Gleneagles to be pulled out?

Still no decision, they both could be pulled out.

Comment

Stewards Enquiry on the Leger. Bondi Beach beaten a head but bumped twice in the final two furlongs. In any other country in the world he would get the race.

Probably not here. Channel 4 seem to hope not anyway.

EDIT: From the Tannoy "Places are revised as follows: First Number One......."

1st: Bondi Beach 2/1 JF

Comment

Stewards Enquiry on the Leger. Bondi Beach beaten a head but bumped twice in the final two furlongs. In any other country in the world he would get the race.

Probably not here. Channel 4 seem to hope not anyway.

EDIT: From the Tannoy "Places are revised as follows: First Number One......."

1st: Bondi Beach 2/1 JF
                  I saw a pig flying last night.

Comment

According to the Racing Post and also here Michael Owen's horse, Brown Panther who won the race last year, was pulled up six furlongs out in the Irish St Leger and "fatally injured"

Comment

According to the Racing Post and also here Michael Owen's horse, Brown Panther who won the race last year, was pulled up six furlongs out in the Irish St Leger and "fatally injured"
                      Did not look good. Hope it doesn't put Owen off at all, he is very good for the game.

Comment

He has tweeted a few times see here but the full texts are only available on sportlobstser, it seems.

Comment

Has this thread died a slow death or is there any interest in the Melbourne Cup week/Breeders Cup weekend ahead of us?

How about the Arc and Frankie's ride. Or the Racing Post Trophy and Frankie's ride?!

Anyone else buzzing for the start of the National Hunt season?

(the plastic paddy.........I'd rather we had a good chat here rather than petty Lions talk again!!)

Comment

Yes indeed, leave the Lions until 2017. Sadly it looks as though Benny is no longer posting which is a real shame. I confess, I have not had the time to keep up with the horses, this flat season. That said Golden Horn looks like he disproved my theory that the three year old colts this year didn't take much beating but, the York loss will always be a nagging doubt for me. Delighted Legatissimo is staying in training for next year, her 1000 guineas time was unbelievable compared to Gleneagles so I would be delighted to see her campaigned at a 8/ 10 furlongs next year.

I am looking forward to the Breeders cup but wonder whether the poor draws for the European raiders will have done for them.

As for the jumps, it does feel strange with no McCoy around but some of the nicer horses are starting to appear, I can't wait to see how Vautour goes.

Comment

Never really warmed to the flat season (or even jumps racing during the Summer). Always associate it with the short days, cold weather and soft ground.

Really looking forward to seeing the 3m chasers this season. The King George on 26 December looks like it could be a real belter with Vautour, Don Cossack and Coneygree likely to give Silviniaco Conti a much stiffer test than he's had in the last few years. The Lexus a couple of days later should be interesting too with the likes of Don Poli, Djakadam and Road to Riches likely to feature.

The 2m hurdles, in contrast, looks a little barren with the retirement of the Fly and Jezki's injury. Hopefully My Tent or Yours can come back successfully from missing all of last season, or one or two of Nicky Henderson's promising juveniles from last season (Top Notch, Hargam and Peace and Co) can step up. Otherwise it'll be a procession of Faugheen leading home Arctic Fire while The New One fails to live up to the hype again.

Comment

The three mile chasers look very exciting!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X