No announcement yet.

Horse Racing Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well Taghrooda took the field apart yesterday to win the Oaks in great style. She looks set fair for another few victories this year.

Tarfasha ran really well to finish second and could have a chance to land the Irish Oaks if she gets a little bit of cut.

Anyway onto today and of course it is the big one with the Derby at 4:00.

Epsom:

2:40: Group 1 Coronation Cup: If the rain stays away I have to give a big chance to Flintshire who won the Grand Prix De Paris last year in great style. However he and the rest are up against a rejuvenated world class Cirrus Des Aigles, the only horse to make Frankel have to work. He recently beat the Arc winner Treve in the Prix Ganay and then went and won another Group 1 at Longchamp over a trip shorter than he wants but easily. Even if the rain doesn't come he may be too good for Flintshire. Talent won last year's Oaks and while she is a very good filly this looks beyond her. Ambivalent is talented also but again you'd expect to her to fall a few pounds short here.

4:00: Group 1 Derby: Without rain it is difficult to get away from Australia. He has the breeding and the form to be a serious force in this race. He is a very short price though and I'd prefer AOB to be in better form. Kingston Hill is a very good horse who should like this distance but his draw is a real disadvantage. The draw may also count True Story out of it even if he is good enough. Geoffrey Chaucer may turn the form around with Fascinating Rok and Ebanoran especially if he gets a bit of rain and he could be a danger. I'd give a bit of a chance to one of the longer priced ones, Western Hymn. He has been coming along nicely under the radar and should like the step up to 1m4f and also I don't think he'll be too worried whether there is rain or not, similar to his sire High Chaparral who produced top class form on firm, good and softish going.

Comment

Heavy showers in Epsom this morning have pushed the ground to good, good to soft in places.

Comment

I can't help but think Arod is over priced at 20s. Definitely getting my each way money. I may be blinded by the fact I backed The Great Gatsby last week but for me he should be 12s.

Comment

Originally posted by the plastic paddy View Post
          Heavy showers in Epsom this morning have pushed the ground to good, good to soft in places.
          Back to good again now, no excuses for anyone I would suggest. Australia for me, not clever but the Guineas is the best trial for the race and this lad is bred in the purple.

Comment

Back to good again now, no excuses for anyone I would suggest. Australia for me, not clever but the Guineas is the best trial for the race and this lad is bred in the purple.
            I will be interested to hear what you made of that Benny, I suspect that was a good Derby. Did you get four places ew on Arod GO2323?

Comment

Interesting that they had serious sickness at Ballydoyle in the spring.

Comment

I will be interested to hear what you made of that Benny, I suspect that was a good Derby. Did you get four places ew on Arod GO2323?
                Hi TPP. I think after two very disappointing Derby winners we have thankfully have one who looks a seriously classy individual. That was a fantastic performance I thought both visually and with the Group 1 winning 2nd standing up the form. The third was a bit close for comfort but that can happen at Epsom. I'll be interested to see if they now go to The Curragh or go to 10f. If he was mine I'd be heading for the King George at Ascot in July either after one more run or not.

Comment

Horse Racing Thread

Originally posted by Benny View Post
                  Hi TPP. I think after two very disappointing Derby winners we have thankfully have one who looks a seriously classy individual. That was a fantastic performance I thought both visually and with the Group 1 winning 2nd standing up the form. The third was a bit close for comfort but that can happen at Epsom. I'll be interested to see if they now go to The Curragh or go to 10f. If he was mine I'd be heading for the King George at Ascot in July either after one more run or not.
                  They keep exentuating the horses speed, wonder if they will go the 10 furlong route myself. Time was very impressive as well.
                  Last edited by the plastic paddy; 7th-June-2014, 16:25.

Comment

Now all eyes turn to New York with the big Belmont Stakes Day including that assault on the Triple Crown by California Chrome.

My selections:

5:40: Grade 2 Brooklyn Invitational: Just taking a small chance on Eriugena.

6:16: Grade 3 Jaipur Invitational: Difficult one to get a handle on but I think I'll have a minimum wager on Anyriderill Do.

6:54: Grade 2 Woody Stephens: Grade 1 placed Social Inclusion is the likely favourite in this and he should run well. I think I might just take him on with Embellishing Bob.

7:34: Grade 1 Acorn: My Miss Sophia landed the Grade 2 Gazelle at Aqueduct back in April and with extreme ease if my memory serves me correctly before going down just 4l to the potentially scandalously talented Untapable in the Kentucky Oaks. No real fears about dropping back 1f in distance here and she is nearly impossible to oppose but at odds on. I am going to chance an EW on an improving filly, Tiz So Sweet at about 20/1.

8:14: Grade 1 Ogden Phipps: Now here we have a top class race. Just the 6 fillies turning out but three of them are multiple Grade 1 winners. Beholder won last year's Breeders' Cup Distaff and she is a serious filly but she has only once raced on the East Coast and that time she was beaten in the Kentucky Oaks by Princess of Sylmar who then went on to win 3 more Grade 1 races including one at Belmont. She geared up for this race by winning a little race at Aqueduct easily. She has to have a huge chance today. However the last of the three is the one I am going to have a nice bet on and that is Close Hatches. Second to Beholder in the Distaff but she has won a Grade 1 here at Belmont and with consumate ease. They have all beaten each other over the last year but on this track I expect Close Hatches to come out on top.

9:00: Grade 1 Just A Game Stakes: This one on the turf. Stephanie's Kitten won this last year from Better Lucky and I think they are the ones to concentrate on again. I am going to take a little chance on that form being turned around this time as I liked Better Lucky's last run when she was second to the classy Judy The Beauty in a Grade 1 at Keeneland.

9:48: Grade 1 Metropolitan: Another good race with a number of Grade 1 winners in the field. Last year's Belmont Stakes winner Palace Malice has been in roaring form lately and he has to rate as a serious contender here. Indeed if he runs up to his best he may just be too good. Last year's Kentucky Derby 4th Normandy Invasion is a danger although he was recently beaten by Palace Malice by 4l and I am not sure he can turn that around. Shakin It Up is interesting although he has to prove himself on the track.

10:45: Grade 1 Manhattan: 10f on the turf for this one. Like a lot of turf races in America this one has no really outstanding Grade 1 performer. Jeremy Noseda ha ssent over Grandeur and he has a chance but I think he will come up a little short. Seek Again was about a 100 rated handicapper in England for John Gosden but he won the Grade 1 Hollywood Derby last year on his first US Start. On his second start a few weeks ago in a Grade 1 at Churchill Downs he finished just 1/2l second to US Top turf performer and one of the best turf milers in the world(2 time Breeders' Cup Mile winner) Wise Dan. he may have been flattered by that but it shows he is capable at this level and he faces nothing of Wise Dan's calibre today. At a longer price I'd take a look at Five Iron.

11:52: Grade 1 Belmont Stakes: The one we are waiting for. Can California Chrome do it and become first Triple Crown champion since 1978. Everything is against him, history, stats, his breeding, the gruelling schedule. However this lad may just be able to rise above all of that and do the job. He'll have to battle for it but he can do that. Will it be enough???

Of the opposition the most interesting are:

Commanding Curve: Second at Churchill and kept fresh for this he has an obvious chance.

Ride on Curlin who was running down the favourite in the Preakness may like the step up in trip although I am not convinced of that.

Wicked Strong who was 4th at Churchill has some interested watchers. Again though I can't see the evidence he will improve for the trip.

Tonalist: He won last time at Belmont quite well by 4l and his Dam side gives some hope he will enjoy the trip more than most. He would be my idea of the biggest danger to California Chrome.

Comment

Originally posted by Benny View Post

11:52: Grade 1 Belmont Stakes: The one we are waiting for. Can California Chrome do it and become first Triple Crown champion since 1978. Everything is against him, history, stats, his breeding, the gruelling schedule. However this lad may just be able to rise above all of that and do the job. He'll have to battle for it but he can do that. Will it be enough???

Of the opposition the most interesting are:

Commanding Curve: Second at Churchill and kept fresh for this he has an obvious chance.

Ride on Curlin who was running down the favourite in the Preakness may like the step up in trip although I am not convinced of that.

Wicked Strong who was 4th at Churchill has some interested watchers. Again though I can't see the evidence he will improve for the trip.

Tonalist: He won last time at Belmont quite well by 4l and his Dam side gives some hope he will enjoy the trip more than most. He would be my idea of the biggest danger to California Chrome.

In the end it did prove a bridge too far for California Chrome. He did not stay the 1m4f and ended up finishing fourth. Tonalist, as I expected, was the one to profit with a fantastic stretch drive to grab the lead in the last 50 metres or so.

Palice Malice did prove to be far too good for the opposition in the Metropolitan.

The Ogden Phipps turned out as good a race as I expected and hoped for with Close Hatches just prevailing from Princess of Sylmar.

All in all a great night of racing.

Comment

Great coverage of the US racing there Benny. In awe of your knowledge as always.

TPP -sadly no 4th pay out this time. He ran his race in the parade ring and never settled. I still think himself and Gatsby will be big players in the summer races.

Australia is the closest thing to Sea The Stars I have seen since the great one went to stud. My god did he travel! Workmanlike then to finish it off. Ultra impressive and as Benny said, a proper Derby again finally!

Comment

Originally posted by garryowen2323 View Post
                          Great coverage of the US racing there Benny. In awe of your knowledge as always.

TPP -sadly no 4th pay out this time. He ran his race in the parade ring and never settled. I still think himself and Gatsby will be big players in the summer races.

Australia is the closest thing to Sea The Stars I have seen since the great one went to stud. My god did he travel! Workmanlike then to finish it off. Ultra impressive and as Benny said, a proper Derby again finally!
                          If your fella and the third had their minds on the job they would have finished closer. But all the razzmatazz and hullabaloo of Derby day is part of the challenge of the race. I think the comparison to Sea the Stars could prove to be apposite, he didn't do much in front for sure. Can't wait to see where they go with him, going to be a cracking season I think, maybe Australia can deliver the holy grail of a Breeders cup classic win!!! What do you think Benny?

Comment

Must be the Cape Cross influence in them both!!

Comment

Now some good racing today around Europe including the French Champion Hurdle at Auteuil.

Auteuil:

1:30: Grade 1 4YO Hurdle: Willie Mullins seems to hold the aces here with Abbyssial who is ridden by Ruby. He won so well at Punchestown that you have to think he has a major chance in this. I wouldn't ignore the claims of Roll On Has though or indeed of Ambroise.

2:40: Grade 2 Chase: I like the look of Milord Thomas in this.

3:10: Grade 1 French Champion Hurdle: All the usual suspects turning up in this with Mullins running three, Thousand Stars, Zaidpour and Diakali while also Zarkandar is in the line up. They will all have to go some to beat last year's winner Gemix. However I am very interested in Bog Warrior here. This could really suit him with the ground soft and he has Barry Geraghty on board.

San Siro:

4:30: Gran Premio Di Milano: Biz The Nurse will be odds on in this and easy to see why. It is hard to make a case for the others although I wouldn't rule out the second favourite Orsino and at a longer price Orpello may have a chance.

Perth:

4:25: City of Perth Gold Cup Handicap: I like the look of Guess Again in this.

Curragh:

3:40: Listed Race: Parish Hall looks to have found an opportunity to get back into the winners circle but I wouldn't rule out a big run from Nonchalant.

Comment

Roll On Has wins quite nicely as Abbyssial doesn't stay the trip.

Comment

Working...
                                X