No announcement yet.

Horse Racing Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GOING: Chase, Good to Soft, Soft in places; Hurdle, Soft, Good to Soft in places (GoingStick: Chase 6.5, Hurdle 6.3)
    WEATHER: Dry last 24 hours. Forecast dry and sunny.

From racing Post website.

Is this accurate?
    Wally_fan 25/04/09
    \"bump bump bump, trying to keep the thread up there. holy mary im drunk. and in love with trish. although you all dont care about that. doesnt matter, i still love her\"

Comment

Watched a recording of the first race and would say that would be right ground description.

Comment

Cue Card p*ssed up from Edgardo Sol with Menorah jumping like a slug in third. Cue Card looks very good just have serious misgivings about the jockey when the pressure comes on.

Comment

Originally posted by Benny View Post
          I've decided to go with your advice on Red Cadeaux. I can absolutely see he is a great form choice here and that is important to me. Could only get 8/1 but not worried about that. I am more interested in him winning that getting a point or two more. :)

However as my second choice I am sticking with Kelinni. I take the points you made about him but I like this horse. I know a bit of that is sentiment because I tipped and backed him back in September at Rosehill but also he is getting in here on a very low weight. It wouldn't be the first time a horse won the Melbourne Cup having run(and won) three days before. Shocking did this back in 2009 and I backed him that time and I could see a repeat of this happening or almost happening. Backed him EW @ 16/1. :)
          Well Red Cadeaux never got into it as Green Moon wins the Melbourne Cup.

However Kelinni did manage to grab the 4th place so at least I didn't end up empty handed. :)

Comment

Cue Card hugely impressive although Menorah was well below his best, not travelling at any stage in the race. Edgardo Sol is not up to this standard clearly.

Brilliant ride by Tizzard to also win the Novice Chase on Theatre Guide. He just allowed Walsh and McCoy to zip ahead and crucify each other while patiently waiting, waiting and waiting until he needed to put him in the race and scooted clear to win easily in the end. Hinterland's big mistake when ploughing through an earlier fence didn't help him although it was not the defining moment of the race.

Comment

By the way TPP, you can see the racing live here..

http://tykestv.eu/tykes1.php

Comment

Well Red Cadeaux never got into it as Green Moon wins the Melbourne Cup.

However Kelinni did manage to grab the 4th place so at least I didn't end up empty handed. :)
                Complete disaster of a race! If it was run again tomorrow I still wouldn't back Green Moon. Slowest Melbourne Cup pace I've seen in a long time. Pity O'Brien didn't send over Windsor Palace or someone!! They only pay top 3 over here so good thing you were backing with proper bookies. I'd a small small amount on Fiorente for a place (Ballymacoll sentimental bet)

Mount Athos flew home and Red Cadeaux got blocked off when starting his wide run down the straight but neither had a chance in winning off that slow pace. It was an Australian run Cup rather than a European style 2miler so fair play to them.

First 7 home were all Irish bred though which gives me great satisfaction

Comment

Oaks Day today at Flemington for those insomniacs at home (or those with Sky+ and early bets on!)

Race 4 – Sumakaray. Has been winning well in country races. Brought down to Flemington now (trainer has good strike rate when bringing horses to the big tracks) and has Luke Nolen booked to ride. Good each-way chance at 11/1. Meidung worthy favourite at 3/1. Slightly disappointed last at Randwick but has great form second to Nechita/Dear Demi this year. Snowden horses running well at present too.

Race 6 – Oaks – Dear Demi has both won me and lost me money in recent times. I’ll stick with her for loyalty sake again. Loves getting stuck in traffic and failing to get clear runs lately. Zydeco rightly favourite after the Wakeful win. Dear Demi had to give her 6lbs that day and with a clear run would have been upsides in my opinion. Drawn 12 today (Zydeco 7) I think she can get the cover she needs without having to hug the rail and get boxed in. At 7/2 with Sportsbet refunding 2nd place if Zydeco wins she’s worth another chance. For fancy money Maraatib flew home in the Wakeful behind Zydeco and the extra distance looks in her favour. Nice each-way chances at 17/1 with the Hayes clan running well without winning this week.

Race 7 – 2 horses taken my eye here are Pharomac (7/2) and Gerontius (8/1). The value here is with Gerontius each-way for David Hayes again.

Race 9 – New York at 5/2 will do me. Usually I try to take on the favourite but I think today will be his day.

Comment

Also I had a look back at all the races from Derby Day (Sat) and Cup Day (Tues). I still stand by my theory that the Cup wasn't run at breakneck pace but it wasn't snails pace either. I think the front runners were ridden extremely intelligently with slight stamina doubts about some, they settled into a comfortable pace. Also having reviewed the races over the 2 days I realised that those on the inside and up with the pace were more successful than I've ever seen at Flemington I think. Usually the hold-up horses pick up the leaders. So the combination of smart riding and slight track bias won the day I think.

Comment

Good call on Dear Demi. Good finish between her and Zydeco.

Comment

Good call on Dear Demi. Good finish between her and Zydeco.
                        Ended up being my biggest bet in a few months so delighted with it. Race worked out exactly as I thought/hoped it would with her wide draw. Dropped in behind, got some cover, came around stalking Zydeco and pounced. Brilliant stuff!

Comment

Last day of the flat season in England with the traditional finish in the November Handicap day at Doncaster.

These are my interests.

Doncaster:
                          2:00: Fillies Listed Race: Sajjhaa will be very well fancied here but I am not sure as she often manages to find a way not to win. Instead I'll have a look at Dorcas Lane who should be just about cherry ripe now having her 4th run of the season, even if she has a touch to find on the formbook.

2:35: November Handicap: As usual has a field of over 20 making this a difficult one but I am just about zoning in on The Tiger.

3:10: Listed Sprint: I think last year's winner, Sirius Prospect, is coming back to that level of form just at the right time for this and he will do for me.

3:45: Handicap: Another 20+ field for this one. I am having a wee look at Shamaal Nibras.

While today we also have a few really good jumps races.

Wincanton:
                          1:40: Handicap Hurdle: Taking a little chance on Miss Milborne.

2:15: Grade 2 Novice Chase: I like the look of King Of The Night in this one.

2:50: Grade 2 Elite Handicap Hurdle: Very interesting race. Favourite currently is the Triumph Hurdle winner and Champion Hurdle 5th, Zarkandar, who heads the weights here. He is a seriously classy individual but it is asking a lot of a 5Y0 to carry 11-12 to victory, giving well over a stone to most of the field. He could do it though as he carried top weight of 11-1 to victory in his return last year. The second favourite is the Ruby Walsh ridden Prospect Wells. I have to say though I am unconvinced about this lad and I'm just ruling him out(He'll probably win now of course.) Next in line is Balder Success who won a few times last year in OK races before falling and unseating when upped in grade at Cheltenham and Punchestown. The one that interests me most, apart from Zarkandar, is Baby Mix. Granted he came up shy in the Triumph last season but had earlier won a good Grade 2 race at Kempton. Getting in on a lovely weight here of 10-4 I think he is worth a pound or two of a wager.

3:25: Badger Ales Handicap Chase: Very good race here and to be honest you could select half the field and not get the winner. I am having a look at two in particular though. Formerly almost top class(170ish rated) and Grade 1 winner Tamarinbleu is now a 12 year old but racing off a mark of 149. He has a decent record fresh and I wouldn't be surprised to see him challenging for a place at least. The other one is Ballyallia Man.

Comment

Question for TPP: Did you hear anything about Ruby Walsh retiring at the end of this season? Bit of a rumour seems to be doing the rounds.

Comment

Horse Racing Thread

Question for TPP: Did you hear anything about Ruby Walsh retiring at the end of this season? Bit of a rumour seems to be doing the rounds.
                              Hadn't heard anything but would not be surprised. Will ask some questions. King of the night will win today BTW, needs to go right handed IMO.

Comment

Re: Horse Racing Thread

Got my tickets for the King George yesterday. First time going.

Any thoughts from the experts on here or am I better off waiting till mid December for an ante post bet?
                                Please support Milford Hospice. Click here to donate.

Comment

Working...
                                X