Horse Racing Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by the plastic paddy View Post
    Finished third at 16s so not the worst pick up; if the horse was down as trained by paul Nicholls he would have been 2/1 at most, keep yer eyes on Harry Fry, a young trainer on the way up!!!!!
    It was a good run from him TPP. Definitely one to keep an eye on, and the trainer too. :)

Comment

Silviniaco Conti was quite impressive in the Charlie Hall. As long as his jumping holds up he looks set fair for a good season.

I am looking forward to seeing the return of Grands Crus. He disappointed a little at Cheltenham but I still think he could emerge as a serious force this year. I believe he is scheduled to start off in the Paddy Power. It will be interesting to see how he fares in a big field given his running style. I just hope he can really come on this year because I think he has the potential to be top class.

Comment

O Garryowen2323, Garryowen2323! wherefore art thou Garryowen2323? I do hope you are putting together your write-up for the Melbourne Cup. My E-mail is awaiting this crucial document. :)

Comment

Also TPP, I backed Raya Star at Ascot. Feck he was impressive carrying 11-12 to victory. Alan King saying as well he was surprised he was so sharp which I guess means he will improve for thr run, not to mention the fact he is only a 6Y0 anyway so you'd expect more improvement this year. This fellow IMO is well worth following this year.

Comment

Also it was great to see old Tidal Bay winning the Grade 2 Hurdle at Wetherby. This lad has his issues but on his day he is seriously talented of course. That's 2 wins in a row for him now.He last did that back in 2008. Feck I still remember the day he absolutely hosed up in the Arkle and again at Aintree when he looked like he was going to be a world beater.

Comment

Originally posted by Benny View Post
              O Garryowen2323, Garryowen2323! wherefore art thou Garryowen2323? I do hope you are putting together your write-up for the Melbourne Cup. My E-mail is awaiting this crucial document. :)
              I'm back!!! Perfuse apologies to those for my absense on Saturday for Derby Day in Flemington. I spent most of the weekend in A&E waiting for a doctor to take a look at my David Beckham-esque metatarsal injury! Luckily they had the racing on. Unluckily I missed out on backing Alcopop and Nechita to victory (plus some unlucky losers no doubt but I'll dwell on the winners I would have backed!)

It's nearly 9pm here now and just about to leave work (it's tough putting these budgets together for next year!) but I'll be spending a few hours finalising the preview tonight and praying for some overnight rain! I should be back in here around 7.30am in the morning (8.30pm your time tonight) and will email it onto anyone interested then (no internet back in the apartment currently which is a killer)

Comment

Originally posted by Benny View Post
                Also it was great to see old Tidal Bay winning the Grade 2 Hurdle at Wetherby. This lad has his issues but on his day he is seriously talented of course. That's 2 wins in a row for him now.He last did that back in 2008. Feck I still remember the day he absolutely hosed up in the Arkle and again at Aintree when he looked like he was going to be a world beater.
                This bit of news absolutely made my morning over here. Love the little (big) monkey to pieces. Inglis Drever was my favourite NH horse of the past decade and Tidal Bay isn't far off. Still think he'd give Big Bucks a run for his money on his day but we won't see that happen now. Any 5m races out there for him?!

Comment

Originally posted by garryowen2323 View Post
                  I'm back!!! Perfuse apologies to those for my absense on Saturday for Derby Day in Flemington. I spent most of the weekend in A&E waiting for a doctor to take a look at my David Beckham-esque metatarsal injury! Luckily they had the racing on. Unluckily I missed out on backing Alcopop and Nechita to victory (plus some unlucky losers no doubt but I'll dwell on the winners I would have backed!)

It's nearly 9pm here now and just about to leave work (it's tough putting these budgets together for next year!) but I'll be spending a few hours finalising the preview tonight and praying for some overnight rain! I should be back in here around 7.30am in the morning (8.30pm your time tonight) and will email it onto anyone interested then (no internet back in the apartment currently which is a killer)
                  Any old excuse for your abandoning of us will do eh?

Ha only joking of course. Hope you are in good order and really looking forward to your analysis. :)

Comment

Originally posted by garryowen2323 View Post
                    This bit of news absolutely made my morning over here. Love the little (big) monkey to pieces. Inglis Drever was my favourite NH horse of the past decade and Tidal Bay isn't far off. Still think he'd give Big Bucks a run for his money on his day but we won't see that happen now. Any 5m races out there for him?!
                    Oh yes indeed. Inglis Drever was one I really loved as well. What a heart he had to go with his ability. I love really classy horses but I also love the battling horses. When you have the 2 together it is something extra special.

And yes at his best I think Tidal Bay would give most horses a run for their money.

Comment

Hopefully that write-up got to you Benny! For those interested............

VERDICT:
                      • Dunaden and Americain are the 2 best in the field and carry top weights for that reason. Just carrying a bit too much weight for me
                      • Mount Athos and Galileo’s Choice could be anything. Form in egg and spoon races in UK/Ireland. Could blow away the field or could be awful
                      • Best form in the race for me is Red Cadeaux’s second behind St Nicholas’ Abbey in the Coronation Cup

PREDICTION (on good ground):
                      1. RED CADEAUX
                      2. DUNADEN
                      3. ETHIOPIA
                      4. MOUNT ATHOS
                      5. AMERICAIN
                      6. MOURAYAN

RECOMMENDED BETS*:
                      3pts each-way – Red Cadeaux
                      2 pts each-way – Ethiopia
                      1 pt each-way – Mourayan

Comment

Hi Garryowen2323, I got it. Thanks a lot. Really looking forward to this. Just about to start watching the coverage now.

Comment

I see there's a bit of rain around. I wonder how much is getting into the ground.

Comment

I've decided to go with your advice on Red Cadeaux. I can absolutely see he is a great form choice here and that is important to me. Could only get 8/1 but not worried about that. I am more interested in him winning that getting a point or two more. :)

However as my second choice I am sticking with Kelinni. I take the points you made about him but I like this horse. I know a bit of that is sentiment because I tipped and backed him back in September at Rosehill but also he is getting in here on a very low weight. It wouldn't be the first time a horse won the Melbourne Cup having run(and won) three days before. Shocking did this back in 2009 and I backed him that time and I could see a repeat of this happening or almost happening. Backed him EW @ 16/1. :)
                            Last edited by Benny; 6-November-2012, 01:08.

Comment

Tuesday afternoon sees some excellent racing at Exeter including the Grade 2 Haldon Gold Cup. It looks to be a 3 horse race between Cue Card, Menorah and Edgardo Sol. Cue Card will be about even money favourite with Menorah likely to be second in the betting at about 5/2 and Edgardo Sol at about 3/1. With Cue Card getting weight he is the obvious one but I am sticking with Menorah. I think if he can jump soundly he is better than Cue Card, though on last year's racing that is an if.

In the Novice Chase Hinterland will be a strong odds on favourite on his chasing debut. I wouldn't rule out Peckamecho giving him a run for it though.

In the 3:50 Handicap Chase I'd be looking at Wide Receiver while in the concluding Handicap Hurdle at 4:20 I wouldn't be surprised to see a decent run from Shaking Hands.

Over at Punchestown the most interesting race is probably the opening one, a Beginners Chase featuring Grade 1 Novice Hurdle winner Dedigout while Banjaxed Girl will be well fancied in the Mares Beginners Chase. In the 1:55 Handicap Chase I'd be having a wee look at Kakagh.

Comment

Horse Racing Thread

Very good racing at Exeter. Fortunately my mother's horse which was entered is not declared to lower the standard as he is probably the worst horse in training!?! The whole day will be one to watch again as lots of nice horses start off on this day at this beautiful racecourse. The Haldon is very interesting but purely on the basis of jockeys I will be having a bit on Edgardo Sol, I think a lot of menorahs and cue cards problems are down to pilot error myself and I don't think the horses have much confidence in their riders. Hinterland will be very short but we have had a lot of rain and even a covering of snow in the West Country so there could be a surprise result.

Comment

Working...
                                X