No announcement yet.

Golf

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I agree with you MR, he has never shown respect for the games traditions and he's a petulant little b*llix and always has been. His ungraciousness to give any credit to mickelson in the peter kostis interview at the masters was typical of him

Comment

<DIV ="storyer">
      <H1>Rory McIlroy named Euro Golfer of the Month</H1>Thursday, 6 May 2010 16:16 </DIV>
      <DIV ="story"><?:namespace prefix = rte ns = "urn:rte-search" /><RTE:>

Rory McIlroy's first US Tour victory, achieved with closing rounds of 66 and 62 at Quail Hollow, has earned him the European Tour's Golfer of the Month award for April.

Although the tournament ended on May 2, two days before his 21st birthday, it is the start date that made him eligible for the award.

'The final round was one of those rounds you are never going to forget to be honest,' he said.
      <DIV id=story_island></DIV>

'I was in such a good frame of mind going out that I knew I had a chance.

'There is no better feeling in the world than to go out and beat such a high quality field over such a good golf course.'

To read more: http://www.rte.ie/sport/golf/2010/0506/mcilroyr.html</RTE:></DIV>

Comment

Originally posted by Mebawsa Ritchie
        Originally posted by O Garas Foot
        Originally posted by Paddie

Errm...what was the lesson he was supposed to learn again?

To stop throwing his clubs and cursing when he hits a bad shot

and also to keep his d*ck in his pants

Corrected. He continues to show no respect for the great traditions of a game that has brought him enormous wealth, and has enabled him easily access a considerable amount of snatch [img]smileys/lol.gif[/img]

Not so sure about the throwing of clubs (personally haven't witnessed any golfer throw a club, bar the ole putter somersault). As for the "cursing", will ye give over. I can only assume that ye have played golf before, and sometimes a brutal shot deserves a good expletive,,in other words..let he who is without sin and all that. As regards the traditions of golf, yeah sure, expletives are frowned upon somewhat. This is the same game whose laws forbid "tucking ones trousers into ones socks" or indeed to wear a shirt without a collar is deemed heretical. This the same game which 30 odd years ago wouldn't have allowed Tiger Woods into the Club house, not to mind the course because as Ali G would say "because 'e is black". Please spare me your abject horses**te.
        Romani ite Domun

Comment

Errm...what was the lesson he was supposed to learn again?

To stop throwing his clubs and cursing when he hits a bad shot

and also to keep his d*ck in his pants

Corrected. He continues to show no respect for the great traditions of a game that has brought him enormous wealth, and has enabled him easily access a considerable amount of snatch [img]smileys/lol.gif[/img]

Not so sure about the throwing of clubs (personally haven't witnessed any golfer throw a club, bar the ole putter somersault). As for the "cursing", will ye give over. I can only assume that ye have played golf before, and sometimes a brutal shot deserves a good expletive,,in other words..let he who is without sin and all that. As regards the traditions of golf, yeah sure, expletives are frowned upon somewhat. This is the same game whose laws forbid "tucking ones trousers into ones socks" or indeed to wear a shirt without a collar is deemed heretical. This the same game which 30 odd years ago wouldn't have allowed Tiger Woods into the Club house, not to mind the course because as Ali G would say "because 'e is black". Please spare me your abject horses**te.
          I'm not even going to bother compiling a detailed response to that.

Suffice to say Tom Watson advised Woods to reform his on course behavior.
          Yorn desh born, der ritt de gitt der gue,
          Orn desh, dee born desh, de umn bork! bork! bork!

Comment

There are high profile golfers who have played away from home before you know.

EVERY golfer loses it language wise (even TW...Tom Watson).

I also seem to recall an incident where on the back 9 of a British Open, JM Olazabal hooked a drive OB and let out an unmerciful FUUUUUUUCCCKKKKKK IITTTT (even though not the mother tongue you understand) and the refereee for the match just said.."I thought he was quite restrained!"

My point is , the camera is always on Tiger, it is rarely on the lesser lights (e.g. Shane Lowry...curses likea truck driver). Of course you are going to see it more with Tiger purely because the camera is on him for nearly every shot he plays..especially now.
            Romani ite Domun

Comment

There are high profile golfers who have played away from home before you know.

EVERY golfer loses it language wise (even TW...Tom Watson).

I also seem to recall an incident where on the back 9 of a British Open, JM Olazabal hooked a drive OB and let out an unmerciful FUUUUUUUCCCKKKKKK IITTTT (even though not the mother tongue you understand) and the refereee for the match just said.."I thought he was quite restrained!"

My point is , the camera is always on Tiger, it is rarely on the lesser lights (e.g. Shane Lowry...curses likea truck driver). Of course you are going to see it more with Tiger purely because the camera is on him for nearly every shot he plays..especially now.
              I agree. Woods is the most famous, newsworthy, and photographed of them all - which is exactly why he needs to be the best behaved.

Comment

For me his swearing isn't a problem its all the other things. The club throwing is a major problem, he bounced his driver into the crowd in australia ffs. Also not letting Yang put last when he won the pga was typical of woods. And don't get me started on his caddy.....he's as bad as him. By all accounts there was a lot of people in both the golf media and the tour that were quiet happy when everything started going tits up for woods

Comment

For me his swearing isn't a problem its all the other things. The club throwing is a major problem, he bounced his driver into the crowd in australia ffs. Also not letting Yang put last when he won the pga was typical of woods. And don't get me started on his caddy.....he's as bad as him. By all accounts there was a lot of people in both the golf media and the tour that were quiet happy when everything started going tits up for woods
                  Bingo.

Comment

irishtimes.com - Last Updated: Friday, May 7, 2010, 19:22
                    <H1>McIlroy and Harrington miss cut</H1>
                    <DIV style="CLEAR: left"></DIV>

<S&#079;NG>Golf:</S&#079;NG>Despite his tender years, nobody needs to tell Rory McIlroy about the fickle nature of professional golf. Just a week after making his breakout win on the PGA Tour, the 21-year-old was cut back down to size at Sawgrass.

After yesterday’s round of 73 at The Players Championship, McIlroy started this morning knowing a round in the 60s was needed not just to fight his way back into the tournament but to simply ensure his presence over the weekend.

On the day, McIlroy wasn’t able to deliver. A bogey at the first didn’t help his cause but three straight birdies from the fifth hinted at a reversal of fortunes. It failed to materialise. A double bogey at the 10th dropped him back to one over and he limped his way home to finish on that number.

With the cut scheduled to fall at one under, the youngster was all but assured to miss his third cut in four events. Such statistics could suggest a game in crisis. McIlroy, of course, has the Quail Hollow title secured safely in his display cabinet to banish any such demons

Not so Padraig Harrington, who is now facing his second weekend off in three after finishing on two over. The Dubliner flirted perilously close to the line over the first two days and could not get it going on a course he has performed well at in the past.

McIlroy missed the cut on his debut last year and said: “You can’t see fairways when you are on the tee and I find it hard to line up.”

The event is held on the same course each year and when reminded he had better get used to it now he is in the world’s top 10 he replied: “If it wasn’t a $9.5 million dollar event I might not have to.”

Harrington’s ball on the sixth was so far up in the palm tree that it could not be identified and so he had to return to the bunker from where he had played the shot.

That said, the Dubliner commented: “A three-putt on the 11th (for a par) cost me dearly. Things didn’t really go my way, not that I played fantastic.”

Graeme McDowell was faring considerably better that his two fellow Irishmen after a sparkling round of 65 moved him to seven under but that was still five behind the clubhouse leader Lee Westwood who took another step towards his first victory in America for over 12 years.

Westwood added a seven under par 65 to his opening 67 and held the early lead in golf’s richest event. On 12 under par, the European number one — third, third and second in the last three majors — was only two short of the tournament’s 36-hole record set by Greg Norman in 1994.

He was, however, just one stroke in front of Japan’s Ryujni Imada (66) and also Francesco Molinari, whose decision to play in Florida rather than at his home Italian Open was paying handsome dividends.

Molinari matched Westwood’s round as he continued his bid to go one better than his brother Edoardo’s runners-up finish at the Arnold Palmer Invitational two months ago.

As for Tiger Woods, who blew out by eight shots with a horrid 79 the previous Friday, he had five birdies, but also two bogeys and a double bogey. That translated into a one under 71 and a three under halfway aggregate. With half the field still on the course he was in a tie for 39th.

Just teeing off again was Phil Mickelson. The Masters champion was two under and with Woods where he was the chance remained for him to take the world number one spot.

For that, however, he had to win and Westwood, the player he pushed into second spot at Augusta, had made that a tough task for him.

Comment

Tiger withdraws from the Players Championship, with a neck injury......
                      WAH !!!!My neck hurts from having to look up at the leaderboard and see how far behind i am [img]smileys/shock.gif[/img] [img]smileys/shock.gif[/img]

Gee ! He played the US open on one leg and won!!!! [img]smileys/sad.gif[/img] [img]smileys/cool.gif[/img]
                      Caoimhin De Burgh

Comment

Originally posted by skinnyryan
                        Tiger withdraws from the Players Championship, with a neck injury......
                        WAH !!!!My neck hurts from having to look up at the leaderboard and see how far behind i am [img]smileys/shock.gif[/img] [img]smileys/shock.gif[/img]

Gee ! He played the US open on one leg and won!!!! [img]smileys/sad.gif[/img] [img]smileys/cool.gif[/img]

irishtimes.com - Last Updated: Sunday, May 9, 2010, 17:29
                        <H1>Sawgrass a pain in the neck for Woods</H1>

<S&#079;NG>Golf:</S&#079;NG>Struggling Tiger Woods pulled out of The Players Championship, golf’s richest event, on the seventh hole of his final round at Sawgrass today. Complaining of a stiff neck, Woods had dropped from four under par to two under and from 45th place to 51st when he told playing partner Jason Bohn he was quitting.

The last time he did it during a round was as an amateur at the 1995 United States Open.

It came on the day he was in danger of losing his world number one spot to Phil Mickelson, although for that to happen the Masters champion had to take the title from five strokes behind leader Lee Westwood.

This was the third event of Woods’ return from personal issues which sent him into hiding in November.

At Augusta a month ago he amazed most people by managing a fourth place finish, but in the Quail Hollow Championship in North Carolina last week he crashed out by a massive eight shots after a second round 79.

Woods finished his third round 71 yesterday with two bogeys and he was struggling again on his return.

Three putts on the short fourth brought his first bogey and two holes later he carved his drive into the lake and dropped another shot.

Another wild drive came on the seventh and after failing to find the green from there he called a halt.

If Woods had continued he was almost certain to finish outside the top 30 at two consecutive tournaments for the first time in his professional career.

Comment

irishtimes.com - Last Updated: Monday, May 10, 2010, 21:09
                          <H1>Neck problem could curtail Tiger's schedule</H1>

Tiger Woods has described his schedule as “up in the air” until he sees the result of a scan on his injured neck after he pulled out of The Players Championship on the seventh hole of his final round complaining of discomfort.

He insisted there was “zero connection” between the problem, which may be a bulging disc in his upper back, and the November 27th car crash which led to revelations about a series of affairs.

The pain, he said, had started a fortnight before he ended his five-month absence from the game at The Masters a month ago. Anti-inflammatory pills have not helped.

“I’m at a point now where I just can’t go any more,” he said. The scan is planned on his return to Orlando.

“For me not to play all 18 holes, that was as angry and as frustrated as I’ve been in a long time. I can’t make the movements that I made before.”

If advised he can start playing again soon the world number one’s next event will probably be his defence of the Memorial title in Ohio at the start of June.

The injury coupled with his personal problems do, however, cast fresh doubt about whether Woods will make the trips across the Atlantic for July’s Open Championship and October’s Ryder Cup.

He is also scheduled to take part in JP McManus’s Pro-Am at Adare Manor on July 5th and 6th.

Long journeys on planes, even on luxury executive ones, may not be what the doctor orders, especially if there is the possibility of the journey being made longer by volcanic dust clouds.

This all comes on the back of reports Woods has been or is about to be served with divorce papers following the sex scandal that came to light last November.

Woods has until May 27th to enter for St Andrews, the course on which he won by eight shots in 2000 and by five in 2005, but there is nothing to stop him pulling out after that if he does not want to take any risks with his health.

As for the Ryder Cup, an event he missed two years ago following reconstructive knee surgery and for which he currently needs a wild card pick, he simply might not fancy the idea of two rounds a day in a Welsh valley so late in the year.

Sunday’s playing partner Jason Bohn had thought Woods had pulled out with a wrist injury when he walked over and told him he had had enough.

However, according to Woods, who was down in 51st place at the time: “I’ve been playing with a bad neck for quite a while.

Comment

Woods to make Ireland trip

Comment

McIllroy going bad in US Open, +9 through 12 holes today.
                              Graeme McDowell -3 through 14 though.

Comment

McDowell -4 thru 15 [img]smileys/thumb-up.gif[/img] [img]smileys/biggrin.gif[/img]
                                Caoimhin De Burgh

Comment

Working...
                                X