No announcement yet.

Golf

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

beat the course record by 2 shots and sank an incredible 42foot putt on the 18th to finish it to an almighty roar.

you can watch some of the highlights here:

http://www.pgatour.com/video/

thank god there wasn't a french golfer of note at this...

Comment

He got a nice dig at Lee Westwood: "That is how you close out the final day, Lee". [img]smileys/lol.gif[/img]

Comment

hollow victory for mcIlroy.

Comment

Originally posted by RED 49
          hollow victory for mcIlroy.
          it's a small bird really in the grand scheme of things.

Comment

On a weekend of depression in rugby,well done Rory[img]smileys/thumb-up.gif[/img]

Comment

Found out today he has opted to pledge for GB in the golf for the Olympics!
              If a man tried to take his time on earth and prove before he died what one man's life could be worth, I wonder what would happen to this world

Comment

Originally posted by Humpty Dumpty

Found out today he has opted to pledge for GB in the golf for the Olympics!
                was a big story quite a while back HD
                "They think they know us, but they haven't a clue"

Comment

Originally posted by lactose intolerant
                  Originally posted by Humpty Dumpty

Found out today he has opted to pledge for
                  GB in the golf for the Olympics!
                  was a big story quite a
                  while back HD
                  Didn't really get any coverage in the main stream media though. I
                  wonder what coverage of him will be like at, and after the olympics this
                  side of the border.

Comment

This story is from the rte website
                    <H1>Players can't meet Monty's Ryder request</H1>

Wednesday, 5 May 2010 16:04

Colin Montgomerie is resigned to having potential Ryder Cup players decline his request to play in next month's Wales Open - but insists the strong field for the BMW PGA Championship will make amends.

European captain Montgomerie wanted all potential members of his team to play at Celtic Manor from June 3-6 in preparation for the Ryder Cup at the same venue in October.

A clash of dates with Jack Nicklaus' prestigious Memorial Tournament on the US Tour means Montgomerie will not get his wish, with the likes of Lee Westwood, Ian Poulter and Rory McIlroy all set to be at Muirfield Village instead.
                    <DIV id=story_island></DIV>

However, Montgomerie is happy that those players, along with defending champion Paul Casey, Graeme McDowell and three-time major winner Padraig Harrington, will compete at a revamped Wentworth later this month.

'I've asked everybody to play in Wales but I'm not sure about the entry list as such,' Montgomerie said ahead of this week's Italian Open in Turin, where today's pro-am was washed out following several days of rain. 'Graeme McDowell is playing and Luke Donald has changed his schedule to play.

'Of course it's opposite the Memorial tournament which is unfortunate, one of their biggest events. But as long as the ones that aren't competing in Wales compete well in the Memorial, I'll let them off.

'I can only ask, I can't tell anybody. We have a much stronger field this year than we've ever had in Wales and I look forward as captain to hosting them down there and seeing how they progress.

'It's in their own interests to play there. If you win on the Ryder Cup course four months before the Ryder Cup it can do you no harm.

'I'm very happy with the BMW PGA at Wentworth, the field there is the strongest it's ever been. I understand they can play wherever they want but I'm so glad that they come and support the PGA now.

'Everyone is excited to be playing there on a new course and I believe nearly everybody that you will see in Wales for the Ryder Cup will be playing there. That's exceptional and that's all I can do.'

Montgomerie can also take comfort from the excellent form displayed by his likely team members this year, with McIlroy completing his first win on US soil on Sunday with stunning closing rounds of 66 and 62 at the Quail Hollow Championship.

Poulter also beat Casey in the Accenture World Match Play final in February - Sergio Garcia also reached the semi-finals - and Westwood was runner-up in the US Masters at Augusta.

'To lead by one going into the final round of the Masters and shoot under par is a super effort and I told Lee that, he was just beaten on the day by a better golfer unfortunately,' Montgomerie added.

'And then to follow that with Rory's performance... to start the day four behind and win by four was incredible, shooting 62 round a course of that quality. It can only help others over there.

'I can't tell my players where to play. If they want to play in America, fine, as long as they do well when they're over there. It was a super performance by Rory and he can only go from strength to strength.'

Montgomerie will play the first two rounds in Turin alongside another young star, Italy's Matteo Manassero, who is making his professional debut after a stellar amateur career.

Manassero was just 16 when he became the youngest ever winner of the British Amateur Championship in 2009, and went on to finish 13th in the Open at Turnberry in the same year, before proving it was no fluke at Augusta last month.

The youngest player in Masters history, Manassero achieved the best finish by a European amateur for 73 years, finishing joint 36th on four over par, two places and three strokes better than Garcia managed when he was the last British Amateur champion to survive the cut in 1999.
                    <P

Comment

Who do people fancy for the '5th Major' which just teed off in Sawgrass this week? Poulter &amp; Mickelson i reckon with a small e/w bet on Garcia!!

Would be great to see McIlroy back up last weeks heroics with a good performance this weekend. Heard on 'off the ball' during the week that it is not definite that he will represent Britain at the Olympics. That was only one interview in which he hinted at that but seemingly in plenty others he has indicated he will represent Ireland.

Comment

I almost hope Woods crashes out early and loses his world No.1 ranking.

The uppity fool hasn't learned one thing since his "indiscretions" became public.

Yorn desh born, der ritt de gitt der gue,
                        Orn desh, dee born desh, de umn bork! bork! bork!

Comment

Hope Harrington shows up strong this week.

Comment

Originally posted by Mebawsa Ritchie
                            I almost hope Woods crashes out early and loses his world No.1 ranking.

The uppity fool hasn't learned one thing since his "indiscretions" became public.

Errm...what was the lesson he was supposed to learn again?
                            Romani ite Domun

Comment

Originally posted by Paddie

To stop dropping his club and telling himself he sucks when he hits a bad shot

and also to keep his d*ck in his pants

Comment

Originally posted by O Garas Foot
                                Originally posted by Paddie

To stop throwing his clubs and cursing when he hits a bad shot

and also to keep his d*ck in his pants
                                Corrected. He continues to show no respect for the great traditions of a game that has brought him enormous wealth, and has enabled him easily access a considerable amount of snatch [img]smileys/lol.gif[/img]
                                Yorn desh born, der ritt de gitt der gue,
                                Orn desh, dee born desh, de umn bork! bork! bork!

Comment

Working...
                                X