X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

irishtimes.com - Last Updated: Wednesday, April 28, 2010, 08:46
    <H1>Woods paired with Cink and Cabrera</H1>
    <DIV style="CLEAR: left"></DIV>

<S&#079;NG>Golf – US PGA Tour:</S&#079;NG>Tiger Woods will be joined by Stewart Cink and Angel Cabrera when he continues his comeback at the Quail Hollow championship in North Carolina this week.

The three major winners – Cink is the reigning British Open champion and Cabrera captured the Masters last year – have been handed an early 7.40am (12.40pm Irish time) tee-time tomorrow morning and will start Friday’s second round at 12.40pm (5.40pm Irish time).

Woods is playing in his second tournament of the year after his 144-day hiatus following revelations about his personal life. He finished fourth in the Masters two weeks ago.

Padraig Harrington and Rory McIlroy are also back in action after both missed the cut at Augusta. Harrington has been Zach Johnson and Sean O’Hair while McIlroy, who had intended to take an extended break after the Masters, plays alongside Scott McCarron, and Bubba Watson.

Lee Westwood, meanwhile, has clarified a recent comment in which he appeared to claim he was the world's best golfer.

After finishing runner-up to Phil Mickelson in the Masters, Westwood was quoted as saying: "I'm playing the best golf of anyone. It's hard to argue for anyone else. If you are (the best) you might as well say it. It builds confidence."

Westwood was asked about that comment during a press conference last night and was happy to set the record straight.

"I've been out here long enough to know that things get just twisted around slightly to suit people," he told reporters.

"Somebody asked me, 'tee to green, do you think you are the best player in the world at the moment'?

"And I said 'the way I played at Augusta, which is the last time I played and the last time all the best players in the world got together, I led the greens in regulation, so it was very difficult to argue against that the last time we all played.

"At least talking to you here now I can tell you the question I was asked and what I replied."

Westwood has enjoyed a leisurely fortnight break since the Masters. Last week's airline shutdown in Europe scuppered a holiday in Barbados, so he spent the time instead at home in England.

Comment

This story was taken from rte.ie
      <DIV =storyer>
      <H1>No return to party days for Woods</H1>Thursday, 29 April 2010 09:00 </DIV>
      <DIV =storyer></DIV>
      <DIV =storyer>

Tiger Woods insists there is no danger of him falling back into bad old ways now he is starting to pick up his travelling US Tour life again.

'No, not at all - not after what I've been through and the treatment,' said the world number one on the eve of his second comeback event.

The Quail Hollow Championship in Charlotte, North Carolina, also features Phil Mickelson.

<DIV id=story_island></DIV>

The Masters champion fell ill on Tuesday and was treated for dehydration after managing only five holes of yesterday's pro-am, but was expected to play this afternoon.

A sex scandal kept Woods out of action for nearly five months but he managed fourth place in his first week back at Augusta and after initial disappointment he had not done better the 34-year-old now reflects it was a 'pretty reasonable' effort.

The tournament and the reception he received from fans there cheered Woods no end and he commented: 'I have had a lot of struggles internally for a while now and that's one of the reasons why it wasn't that much fun.

'The game is now where it used to be and where it should be. It should be fun. It is a game. Even though I do it for a living, it's still a game and it wasn't that for a while.'

On the possibility of a less favourable welcome at coming events he added: 'Whether they do or not, it's happened before, and happened before any of this ever happened. I have dealt with that before.

'But as far as the fans here over the years, they have been great and there is no reason why that shouldn't continue.'

Much of the American's focus in recent weeks has been on attempting to return to some kind of normality and while that may be happening on the golf course, he admits it is far from the case off it.

Woods added: 'There are paparazzi everywhere and at home, helicopters here and there and people driving by and paparazzi camping out in front of the gates still.

'That hasn't changed.'

Woods lost some sponsors but his golf course design business has not come to a halt.

'We're still getting offers all over the world. It's just a matter of do I have time to do it.'

He has even been to a rock concert since The Masters, although that brought some negative publicity.

'I had a great time. A couple of the (Nickelback) band members are friends of mine and that's why I went. And unfortunately I got criticised for seeing my friends!'

As for the state of his game, signs of rust were still there in his pro-am.

'It was scratchy. I hit some bad tee shots, some bad iron shots, bad chips, bad putts - but I still shot under par somehow.'

Woods is also playing next week's Players Championship in Florida and has already entered for June's US Open at Pebble Beach.

Prior to falling sick Mickelson said he had been working hard the last week and felt he was close to how he played at The Masters.

'I'd like to be a little bit more consistent, but I felt like Augusta was a perfect place for it to come together and I was fortunate that it did.'</DIV>

Comment

irishtimes.com - Last Updated: Thursday, April 29, 2010, 13:00
        <H1>Montgomerie hits a bum note</H1>

<S&#079;NG>Golf:</S&#079;NG>Furious Ryder Cup captain Colin Montgomerie made no secret of what he thought of some nearby music after a last-hole bogey six left him six shots off the early lead in the Spanish Open in Seville today.

Even before handing in an opening 71, one-under-par, Montgomerie yelled at tournament director Miguel Vidaor after being told that the noise from the tented village had already been turned down once.

“Should never have happened in the first place,” shouted the eight-time European number one before adding, with expletive deleted: “Is this a party or a golf tournament?”

Montgomerie had just three-putted the long ninth and, having bogeyed the 231-yard seventh as well, his hopes of ending more than 22 months without a top-10 finish had taken a real blow.

It came as no surprise in the circumstances that the Scot, famous for his temper, refused to talk to reporters after emerging from the scoring area.

It seemed rather appropriate that the clubhouse leader at that point was a former disc jockey, England’s Paul Waring.

The 25-year-old, English amateur champion in 2005, had an eagle and six birdies on the Real Club course, but by bogeying the 432-yard last fell alongside Argentina’s Ricardo Gonzalez.

And then the South American, who has happy memories of the venue after winning the 2004 Seville Open, closed with a birdie to set a new target of 65. Gonzalez was three shots clear of Waring’s compatriots Chris Wood and Chris Gane, Welshman Stephen Dodd and fellow countryman Rafa Echenique.

Former champion Peter Lawrie had a frustrating morning, carding two double-bogeys but scrambling for a level par round of 72. Shane Lowry is currently best of the Irish after a 71 while Michael Hoey (76) and Simon Thornton (77) have ground to make up simply to make the cut.

Comment

Tiger Woods missed the cut for only the sixth time
          in his professional career after a horrendous second-round back nine at
          the Quail Hollow Championship.

The world number one, who
          started the day two over after a first-round 74, began with a birdie on
          the first.

But Woods, 34, went on to card three successive bogeys
          from the 10th before two straight double bogeys on the 14th and 15th
          holes to finish with 79.

Woods's total of 153 was his highest
          ever score for the first two rounds.

Woods has
          previously only missed the cut five times in 240 professional starts. His
          last half-way exit came in the Open at Turnberry last year

Comment

irishtimes.com - Last Updated: Saturday, May 1, 2010, 20:17
            <H1>McIlroy gives himself early birthday present</H1>

<S&#079;NG>Golf: </S&#079;NG>Rory McIlroy gave himself an early 21st birthday present when he shot a six under par 66 to surge into contention early in the third round of the Quail Hollow Championship in Charlotte, South Carolina.

Using a "trusty old putter" he dusted off overnight, the Holywood golfer mixed nine birdies with three bogeys to post a five under 211 total.

Less than three months ago McIlroy was ranked seventh in the world but he has struggled since mainly due to a nagging back injury.

"It was a great round of golf," said McIlroy who turns 21 on Tuesday. "I feel as though I've been hitting it well for the last couple of weeks and not really getting much out of my game.

"But today I knocked a few putts in and gave myself plenty of chances. It puts me in a nice position going into tomorrow," he added.

"I'm happy with where I'm at because the last couple of rounds have been a bit of a struggle. It's just nice to get going and get myself in some sort of contention going into Sunday."

The world number 13, who joined the PGA Tour this year, said his back was still a problem but added he was on the road to recovery.

"It's getting better," he said. "It will probably take another two or three months to clear fully but I feel as if I can swing with a lot more freedom and practice more.

"I feel I can hit more balls and spend more time on the range which has definitely helped."

Billy Mayfair was the overnight leader on eight under after a second consecutive 68. The left him one ahead of Masters champions Phil Mickelson, who opened his third round with a birdie.

Mickelson was joined in a share of second by fellow American Paul Goydos and Argentina's Angel Cabrera.

Pádraig Harrington carded 70 to get to two under.

Comment

Shane Lowery -9 3 off the lead going on to the back nine in Spain.
              Anybody who sees a psychiatrist would want their head examined. &nb sp;Henry Ford

Comment

Originally posted by ormond lad

<S&#079;NG>Golf: </S&#079;NG>Rory McIlroy gave himself an early 21st birthday present when he shot a six under par 66 to surge into contention early in the third round of the Quail Hollow Championship in Charlotte, South Carolina.

Using a "trusty old putter" he dusted off overnight, the Holywood golfer mixed nine birdies with three bogeys to post a five under 211 total.

Less than three months ago McIlroy was ranked seventh in the world but he has struggled since mainly due to a nagging back injury.

"It was a great round of golf," said McIlroy who turns 21 on Tuesday. "I feel as though I've been hitting it well for the last couple of weeks and not really getting much out of my game.

"But today I knocked a few putts in and gave myself plenty of chances. It puts me in a nice position going into tomorrow," he added.

"I'm happy with where I'm at because the last couple of rounds have been a bit of a struggle. It's just nice to get going and get myself in some sort of contention going into Sunday."

The world number 13, who joined the PGA Tour this year, said his back was still a problem but added he was on the road to recovery.

"It's getting better," he said. "It will probably take another two or three months to clear fully but I feel as if I can swing with a lot more freedom and practice more.

"I feel I can hit more balls and spend more time on the range which has definitely helped."

Billy Mayfair was the overnight leader on eight under after a second consecutive 68. The left him one ahead of Masters champions Phil Mickelson, who opened his third round with a birdie.

Mickelson was joined in a share of second by fellow American Paul Goydos and Argentina's Angel Cabrera.

Rory is2 up with4 to play
                Anybody who sees a psychiatrist would want their head examined. &nb sp;Henry Ford

Comment

Originally posted by cornerboy
                  Originally posted by ormond lad

Rory is2 up with4 to play

Eagle at 15

Comment

some round by mcilroy 9 under for the round with 2 to play ..4 shot lead

Comment

Birdies 18th for 62. Wins handy.

7 3s on the back 9.

17 birdies and 1 eagle in last 36 holes.

Incredible.

Comment

Originally posted by RED 49
                        some round by mcilroy 9 under for the round with 2 to play ..4 shot lead
                        round of 62 -10,8 birdies and an eagle, for rory mcilroy finishes -15 total ,4 shot lead over phil mickleson who has 2 to play.

Comment

Unreal performance by McIlroy over the last 2 days. 17 birdies, 1 eagle and no dropped shots.

Comment

Savage. Fair play to him
                            "Some people don't know their easy lives... I wouldn't be so ungrateful" - Fiacre Ryan - #AutismAndMe

Comment

Rory wins the Quail Hollow Championship by 4 shots[img]smileys/thumb-up.gif[/img]
                              If a man tried to take his time on earth and prove before he died what one man's life could be worth, I wonder what would happen to this world

Comment

He takes home a cool $1,152,000
                                If a man tried to take his time on earth and prove before he died what one man's life could be worth, I wonder what would happen to this world

Comment

Working...
                                X