Golf

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ruck Em View Post
    Would it of been applied to the 14 year old lad?
    Andrew Cotter, BBC Sport at Augusta
    "The rules of golf are clear. Tiger took an incorrect drop so there's only one outcome. Guan Tianlang will have to be disqualified."

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	2476753

Comment

To be fair Tianland was warned, then advised he was being put on the clock, and only then penalised.
        Yorn desh born, der ritt de gitt der gue,
        Orn desh, dee born desh, de umn bork! bork! bork!

Comment

I have no problem with the penalty for Tianlang, I just feel if it was someone other than Tiger it would of been a DQ.

The golf world is split on this, Faldo is supposed to be spitting blood about it (not sure that strengthens the anti-tiger camp)..... on the other hand

"This is the greatest ruling of all time." -Fred Couples. "Fantastic. A good thing for golf."

Comment

Nick Faldo Calls On Tiger Woods To "Do The Manly Thing" And Quit
            Golf Channel analyst and three-time Masters champ Nick Faldo crushed Tiger Woods this morning, claiming Woods made no attempt to obey the rules of golf and that he deserved disqualification—then pleading with Tiger to "do the manly thing" and retire from the tournament.

Faldo pointed to Tiger's own words, in which he admits dropping the ball in a more advantageous location, then to the rules that state explicitly a player must drop the ball "as close as possible" to the original point of play. He then argued for Tiger's resignation:

He should really sit down and think about this and the mark this will leave on his career, his legacy,everything. he should really sit quietly with whoever he trusts, Mark Steinberg, a few others, maybe Lindsey as well, and sit and just go, wow, I would be doing the rule manly thing to go, I have broken the rules of golf.

Look at the players that we've had on tour recently. Brian Davis the most recent one. He's in the hazard, he takes his back swick, he touches a dead reed, the thickness of a straw. It brushes it. He calls the ruling on himself. And that's one of the rules, when every player knows that did not change the lie of the golf ball and did not change the stroke at all. Right? This one has clearly changed the lie of the golf ball, absolutely clearly. and many of us or our careers have called out playing partners, oh, I'm in the rough, I'm taking it back, and the ball is going dunk, moved a quarter of an inch, and we've all called it and said, oh, one shot. OK, mate. And get on with it. We've done this for years, all of us. We've all policed ourselves. That's the most wonderful thing about this game of golf. By the black and white of these rules. It's been around since 1911, usga, and, you know, sometimes the black and white is harsh. But i think Tiger would gain massive brownie points if he stood up and said, you know, you're right, guys, I clearly have broken the rules. And I'll walk, I'll see you next week.

Comment

@paddypower: EXCLUSIVE! Snapshot of Tiger Woods having a game of football! http://t.co/lcry1KBDQV

@paddypower: BREAKING: Golf officials announce new rule, 'The Tiger Rule', stating that Tiger Woods can do whatever (and whoever) the hell he likes.

Comment

Originally posted by Ruck Em View Post
                I have no problem with the penalty for Tianlang, I just feel if it was someone other than Tiger it would of been a DQ.

The golf world is split on this, Faldo is supposed to be spitting blood about it (not sure that strengthens the anti-tiger camp)..... on the other hand

"This is the greatest ruling of all time." -Fred Couples. "Fantastic. A good thing for golf."
                Seems the old sanction of automatic dq has been relaxed, and not just for Woods. It's fair enough imho.

Comment

This is the result of loosening up the rules of golf. If you break a rule of golf you take the full penalty not what some committee decide you should get. This changes golf forever. Woods by his own addmission dropped 2 yards back to make the shot easier....you just cant do that.
                  Anybody who sees a psychiatrist would want their head examined.*&nb sp;Henry Ford

Comment

Looks like the tee times will remain unchanged and Tiger will still go out with Fdez Castano.

He would of been with Toms if adjusted.

Comment

Originally posted by cornerboy View Post
                      This is the result of loosening up the rules of golf. If you break a rule of golf you take the full penalty not what some committee decide you should get. This changes golf forever. Woods by his own addmission dropped 2 yards back to make the shot easier....you just cant do that.
                      It's not clear yet when/where this relaxation happened. If it was just decided in Auguta today it's clearly wrong.

Comment

Seems it wasn't decided locally.......

When looking at whether or not Tiger Woods would face disqualification for what ultimately amounted to an illegal drop on Friday at the 2013 Masters, we all looked directly at Rule USGA Rule 26-1 which determines the legality of a drop. But we didn't consider the Rule 33.7, which ultimately kept Woods from being booted by the rules officials in Augusta.
                        Rule 33.7 (or the revision to Rule 33.7/4.5 if you prefer) can best be summed up as a "new technology rule" and was instituted by the PGA Tour in April of 2011.
                        Under the new rule, "a penalty of disqualification may in exceptional individual cases be waived, modified or imposed if the Committee considers such action warranted."
                        But the real application of the Rule can be seen through a statement from Fred Ridley, Chairman of the Competition Committee, on the two-stroke penalty assessed to Tiger. (Emphasis mine.)
                        "The subsequent information provided by the player's interview after he had completed play warranted further review and discussion with him this morning," Ridley wrote. "After meeting with the player, it was determined he had violated Rule 26, and he was assessed a two-stroke penalty. The penalty of disqualification was waived by the Committee under Rule 33 as the Committee had previously reviewed the information and made its initial determination prior to the finish of the player's round."
                        So the basic gist is this: Tiger was playing, got hosed when he hit a flagstick and the ball careened into the water, he dropped from a spot near where he hit his first shot, saved bogey, and then no one said anything until Tiger mentioned dropping two yards back from the spot he originally dropped at.
                        Rule 33-7 is supposed to keep unnecessary disqualifications from coming around. Under the description of Rule 33-7/4.5 there's a "not reasonably have known" factor that applies.
                        "However, if the Committee is satisfied that the competitor could not reasonably have known or discovered the facts resulting in his breach of the Rules, it would be justified under Rule 33-7 in waiving the disqualification penalty prescribed by Rule 6-6d," the rulebook reads. "The penalty stroke(s) associated with the breach would, however, be applied to the hole where the breach occurred."
                        “For some time we have been concerned that, in certain limited circumstances, disproportionate disqualification penalties have been required by the Rules," Peter Dawson, chief executive of The R&A said in April 2011. “This carefully considered decision reflects our desire to ensure that the Rules of Golf remain fair and relevant in the changing environment in which the game is played today.”
                        The entire purpose of the rule amendment was designed to keep the new-age technology that can quickly allow folks at the course or folks watching not to flip the script by calling into the PGA and busting players for something they unwillingly did.
                        And so Rule 33-7 saved Tiger Woods. At least for now.

Comment

Actually the more I think about this the more I reckon Woods would be better advised to withdraw from the Masters.

If he won it the victory would be under a cloud of suspicion, and his career would be tarnished.

Withdraw now and he'd be a hero.

Comment

Tiger Woods ‏@TigerWoods3m
                            At hole #15, I took a drop that I thought was correct and in accordance with the rules. I was unaware at that time I had violated any rules.

Tiger Woods ‏@TigerWoods1m
                            I didn’t know I had taken an incorrect drop prior to signing my scorecard. Subsequently, I met with the Masters Committee Saturday morning..

Tiger Woods ‏@TigerWoods27s
                            and was advised they had reviewed the incident prior to the completion of my round. Their initial determination...

Tiger Woods ‏@TigerWoods17s
                            was that there was no violation, but they had additional concerns based on my post-round interview. After discussing the situation...

Tiger Woods ‏@TigerWoodsnow
                            ...with them this morning, I was assessed a two-shot penalty. I understand and accept the penalty and respect the Committees’ decision.

"They think they know us, but they haven't a clue"

Comment

It's some mess isn't it .
                              When their numbers dwindled from 50 to 8, the other dwarves began to suspect Hungry

Comment

If he plays today he'll be displaying his lack of true class. Nothing new there I suppose

Comment

Working...
                                X