Clear All

Irish Stadium Shortage Reaches New Height

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=629>
    <T>
    <TR>
    <TD colSpan=3>
    <DIV =mxb>
    <DIV =sh></DIV>
    <DIV =sh>Seeing as the precedent has now been set, I wonder if the good folk of the Ulster council will see fit to assist their Northern bretheren in thier hour of need.</DIV>
    <DIV =sh></DIV>
    <DIV =sh>Ducks for cover</DIV>
    <DIV =sh></DIV>
    <DIV =sh></DIV>
    <DIV =sh></DIV>
    <DIV =sh>N Ireland face home game dilemma </DIV></DIV></TD></TR>
    <TR>
    <TD vAlign=top width=416><!- S BO -><!- S IIMA ->
    <TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=203 align=right>
    <T>
    <TR>
    <TD>
    <DIV>
    <DIV =cap></DIV></DIV></TD></TR></T></TABLE><!- E IIMA -><!- S SF ->Northern Ireland may have to play their home matches in Scotland or England unless the government pay to replace Windsor Park's damaged roof.

Irish Football Association president Jim Boyce said the organisation did not have the estimated £325,000 needed to replace the roof on the North Stand.

Boyce said that without assistance there was a "serious possibility" home games would move from Windsor Park.

But March's Euro 2008 qualifier with Sweden will go ahead at the stadium. <!- E SF ->

However, a safety certificate issued before last week's friendly with Wales in Belfast will not be given again after the Euro qualifier against the Swedes on 28 March.

The North Stand roof was damaged in storms over the Christmas period and early January.

"We have been told a decision will have to be made after the Sweden match to either replace the roof of the North Stand or just take it off," Boyce told the Belfast Telegraph.

"The estimated cost of a new roof is £325,000 and we simply don't have that sort of money.

"As there is no other stadium in Northern Ireland capable of hosting international football, going to probably Scotland, or maybe England, would be the only avenue open to us."

Safety concerns over Windsor Park have not been isolated to the North Stand roof.

An independent report looking at the Windsor Park's suitability for international football recently assessed the stadium as a significant fire risk.

A major area of concern was that smoking was still allowed in the wooden South Stand. </TD></TR></T></TABLE>

[img]smileys/lol.gif[/img][img]smileys/lol.gif[/img]
    Grandpa Simpson: The last time the meteors came, we thought the sky was on fire. Naturally, we blamed the Irish. We hanged more \'n a few.

Comment

I like the timing[img]smileys/lol.gif[/img]

I think the GAA did agree to allowing all Irish teams in so surely they can let Norn Iron in[img]smileys/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Sure the GAA would let them into Croker.. can i suggest Matt as an independent broker?

Comment

After Windsor Park and that USA '94 qualifier, those f*ckers can swim across to the motherland and play their games. I'm sure they'd love it.
          Grandpa Simpson: The last time the meteors came, we thought the sky was on fire. Naturally, we blamed the Irish. We hanged more \'n a few.

Comment

If Casement Park can host a Hunger Strike commemoration, then I can see no difficulty whatsoever with it hosting a soccer match under the GAA's Parity of Esteem guidelines.

After all, Belfast is in the UK, so it's not as if soccer is a foreign game there.
            New infraction avoidance policy: a post may be described as imbecilic, but its author should never be described as an imbecile.

Comment

There were a few lads interviewed on Season Ticket after the Wales game the other night and they were asked whether the old Home Nations competition should be ressurected and the said that it would be great to do so as playing teams from the "mainland" was very exciting! [img]smileys/biggrin.gif[/img]

Well fúck off to the "mainland" then if your stadium is falling apart.
              It happened, and I was there.
              4.48pm, Saturday 20th May 2006.
              What does grease taste like? Is it like chicken?

Comment

Originally posted by Old Dog

If Casement Park can host a Hunger Strike commemoration, then I can see no difficulty whatsoever with it hosting a soccer match under the GAA's Parity of Esteem guidelines.

After all, Belfast is in the UK, so it's not as if soccer is a foreign game there.
                Does part of you pine for the days when Dublin was in the UK?[img]smileys/biggrin.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by Chief
                  Does part of you pine for the days when Dublin was in the UK?[img]smileys/biggrin.gif[/img]

[img]smileys/shock.gif[/img] [img]smileys/shock.gif[/img] you mean it isn't?????But when did this happen ... and why wasn't I told?

New infraction avoidance policy: a post may be described as imbecilic, but its author should never be described as an imbecile.

Comment

Would ravenhill not be an option? What size crowd do the NI soccer team attract?

Comment

Would ravenhill not be an option? What size crowd do the NI soccer team attract?
                      <!-
                      var SymReal&#079;nLoad;
                      var SymReal;

Sym()
                      {
                      window.open = SymWinOpen;
                      if(SymReal != null)
                      SymReal();
                      }

Sym&#079;nLoad()
                      {
                      if(SymReal&#079;nLoad != null)
                      SymReal&#079;nLoad();
                      window.open = SymRealWinOpen;
                      SymReal = window.;
                      window. = Sym;
                      }

SymReal&#079;nLoad = window.&#111;nload;
                      window.&#111;nload = Sym&#079;nLoad;

//->

All seater only for WC/EC Qualifiers. Even with temp stands in could Ravers reach 10k seats?

Since the revamp of Casement I think it's mainly seated with benches on the old terraces. Is anyone sure about this?

Comment

After Windsor Park and that USA '94 qualifier, those f*ckers can swim across to the motherland and play their games. I'm sure they'd love it.
                        <!-
                        var SymReal&#079;nLoad;
                        var SymReal;

Sym()
                        {
                        window.open = SymWinOpen;
                        if(SymReal != null)
                        SymReal();
                        }

Sym&#079;nLoad()
                        {
                        if(SymReal&#079;nLoad != null)
                        SymReal&#079;nLoad();
                        window.open = SymRealWinOpen;
                        SymReal = window.;
                        window. = Sym;
                        }

SymReal&#079;nLoad = window.&#111;nload;
                        window.&#111;nload = Sym&#079;nLoad;

//->

exactly [img]smileys/lol.gif[/img]
                        \" 220 horses, i gotta gun, a siren, a tank full of city gas....DON\'T YOU LOVE IT\"

Comment

Working...
                        X