• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does Anyone Even Care Anymore?

'Shock' revelations from Mark McGwire.

Beeb

Baseball star Mark McGwire admits steroids use</span>

Retired US baseball star Mark McGwire has admitted using steroids during his career, including when he broke the sport's home run record in 1998.

He said he had used steroids on and off for nearly a decade and he apologised.

The confession by McGwire, who played for the St Louis Cardinals, follows a similar steroid admission by the New York Yankees' Alex Rodriguez in 2009.

The Cardinals announced in October that McGwire, 46, would be its hitting coach for the 2010 season.

"I used steroids during my playing career and I apologise," McGwire said in a statement published on the Major League Baseball (MLB) website.

"I remember trying steroids very briefly in the 1989-1990 offseason and then after I was injured in 1993, I used steroids again.

"I used them on occasion throughout the 90s, including during the 1998 season. I wish I had never touched steroids."

He added: "It was foolish and it was a mistake. I truly apologise. Looking back, I wish I had never played during the steroid era."

Correspondents say McGwire's reputation has been in question since 2005, when he refused to answer questions on illegal drug use at a Congressional hearing.

During the hearing he repeatedly said he was "not here to talk about the past" when asked whether he took illegal steroids when he hit the then-record 70 home runs in 1998 or at any other time.

TWIB - if you don't start copying and pasting into Notepad first I will beat you with a big stick!! SRG</span>

The Beatings Will Continue Until Morale Improves

TWIB, were steroids ever 'legal' in baseball (or indeed in any other sport)? I seem to recall a general acceptance that baseball players were 'juiced up' and that it was not illegal at one time.
    \"Does he attract trouble? Put it like this, if total and utter trouble was thunder and lightning, he\'d be on top of the highest mountain in a thunderstorm, wearing wet copper armour shouting \'all Gods are b*****ds\'\"

Comment

Still a shame. Sport is hardly just sport anymore - too much riding on it for some not to cheat. Those who are weak in the first place. Cycling is gone, baseball, swimming, it is hard to care about those sports now.

I'm naive enough to hope its not happening in rugby anyway.

Comment

I was in the States that summer ('98 and the entire nation was gripped by the battle between Sammy Sosa (Cubs) and McGwire (Cardinals) for the race to beat Roger Maris' HR record. (The Wuddled Cup was a very distant second, given the NBA had finished as well). It was fascinating to watch. All of that is tainted by admissions and accusations down through the years of steroid use/abuse.
        The Beatings Will Continue Until Morale Improves

Comment

indeed its quite pathetic, but I remeber at the time,there were doubts by many then too...any such records should be stripped....
          Seas suas agus troid!

Comment

MLB was going through major problems with tv viewing in 90s due to
            player strikes etc, the commissioner of the league, who also happens to
            own one of the teams, seemed to have turned a blind eye as obviously
            the HR race led to massive increase in audiences. Barry Bonds, Jason
            Gianbi, A Rod, Palermo, and many others have all been outed. They now
            have a 50 day ban for first time offenders, with Manny Ramierez being
            first high profile suspension last year for taking a female fertility drug,
            obviously a masking agent

Comment

Bonds got all the crap at the time...now people like McGwire &amp; Clemens can come out with a fraction of the attention.

Nearly everybody in MLB was using drugs and it wasn't forbidden at the time.

Comment

As Charlie Harper said Baseball was better when they were on steroids.
                Stewie: We\'re playing house...
                Lois: But that kid is all tied up!
                Stewie: Roman Polanski\'s house.

Comment

Originally posted by wally_fan
                  Still a shame. Sport is hardly just sport anymore - too much riding on it for some not to cheat. Those who are weak in the first place. Cycling is gone, baseball, swimming, it is hard to care about those sports now.

When do pro. rugby players actually get tested for performance enhancing drugs? id imagine its easier to get caught in swimming, cycling etc.

Comment

Originally posted by zeno
                    Bonds got all the crap at the time...now people like
                    McGwire & Clemens can come out with a fraction of the attention.Nearly
                    everybody in MLB was using drugs and it wasn't forbidden at the time.
                    Bonds got most of the stick because he was such an asshole, and he
                    was involved with Balco, of Marion Jones fame. He still hasn't retired,
                    just no one wants him

Comment

Originally posted by bosh12
                      Originally posted by zeno
                      Bonds got all the crap at the time...now people like

McGwire &amp; Clemens can come out with a fraction of the attention.Nearly

everybody in MLB was using drugs and it wasn't forbidden at the time.

Bonds got most of the stick because he was such an asshole, and he

was involved with Balco, of Marion Jones fame. He still hasn't retired,

just no one wants him
                      Bonds did get the crap because the media hate him. People think Bonds is an asshole because he values his privacy and refuses to play the media game. His father Bobby didn't handle the fame thing too well. Bonds is without doubt one of the best baseball players of all time..drugs or no drugs.

McGwire was a thumper...Bonds could do it all field, steal, hit..everything. There is talk of him coming back as a designated hitter and perhaps he could do that.

Comment

Bonds was an asshole because he mocked the prosecutors of IRS in
                        court, he bullied all those around him, he use to curse repeatedly during
                        interviews, he had about eight birds on the go at one time, obviously he
                        was an immense player, but a complete asshole

Comment

Originally posted by kahalui
                          Originally posted by wally_fan

When do pro. rugby players actually get tested for performance enhancing drugs? id imagine its easier to get caught in swimming, cycling etc.

Dont they randomly test 2 players after a game? remember reading something, like that in Foleys book, him having to wait hours to take a piss
                          The Source for this post is The Internet

Comment

They cheat, they all cheat ffs (well not all of them, but enough.) And the sad fact of life is that nobody cares anymore, the pros can do whatever the hell they like, it seems.

The lot of them, and if it's not drugs, it's cheating on the field, or getting charges dropped against them, and no or little jail time compared to what some regular lad would get, or God only knows what else they do, and get away with. What a joke it is.

And somewhere underneath all that crap the sport's in there, the sport that held more importance, at some stage..I'm sure, than marketing, sponsorship deals, winning no matter what, cheating, and a massive wage to go along with it....money, money, money, that's what it's all about.
                            So they fool us into thinking that they're brilliant, and so succesfull off their own back.
                            Only then for the clowns to come out years later, when they've retired and say otherwise, trying to uphold some sort of integrity and acting like there's some sort of nobility about it, and saying sorry, I cheated..worst decision of my life, wish I could take it back..blah, blha, blah and all that bulls**t, thinking that they should be then given a pat on the back for owning up to it.

They're not sorry, and not for a second would they want to give up all that money that cheating earned them. No honour, no pride. Just cheats.

Long live the GAA.

The Maul is Back!! LONG LIVE THE MAUL!!

Stringer is bigger even than his own immense shadow. Pound for pound, he is the best tackler in the world. If you put him into bag of cats he\'d come out without a scratch. He was hit very late for Murphy\'s try. And when he got up, as we knew he would, the crowd cried his name as if he had just fixed the economy.Billy Keane-After Munster\'s famous loss to the AB\'s.

The Bull-Truly irreplaceable, a mountain of a man. 100 caps!!

Comment

Originally posted by The Word Is Born
                              I was in the States that summer ('98 and the entire nation was gripped by the battle between Sammy Sosa (Cubs) and McGwire (Cardinals) for the race to beat Roger Maris' HR record. (The Wuddled Cup was a very distant second, given the NBA had finished as well). It was fascinating to watch. All of that is tainted by admissions and accusations down through the years of steroid use/abuse.

Yep, that HR race was huge alright, only seems like yesterday.
                              \"This year is different because this year they won\'t beat snow off a rope. They\'ll revert back to type and get 6 shades of s**t bate out of them in the group stages of the HEC ...\" Tobyglen 21 Sept 2010

Comment

Working...
                              X