Half Marathon - Marathon.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 99_oK? View Post
    One long run (90-140 mins) per week is all that is needed, so any chance you could fit it around work? Some of the best marathoners used to do that - e.g. I know/knew a few guys in Dublin (e.g. Hooper) who ran to/from work a couple of days a week, same in UK. Danny McDaid did it during work (he was a postie...), by jogging his round bag over his shoulder...! I know a few guys in Limerick who fit in their training with travel to-from work too at times. Don't know your work/travel details you could think about it.
    Best of luck with whatever you do!
    As did Jim Hogan/Cregan, Irish runner who won the marathon at the European Championships in Budapest in the mid 1960's. (often overlooked in Ireland as due to a falling out with Athletics Ireland (or somesuch) he ended up running for England midway through his career.)
    It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into.

Every plan I have is the best plan in the room. Everybody get quiet and listen to it, and everybody will win

Comment

Michael now lives out near Knocklong now. Breeds a few horses and can still wear a dapper hat. Had no problem mixing work and training, in fact he'd say you need to work to keep it regular. Was world record holder at 6 miles track and heard him at a talk a few years back where he said he and his running mates were feared like the Africans are now - they had a toughness born out of necessity and hard work. Tough too - he won his first Irish championship barefoot.....
      Had no time for AAU/BLE (& it was reciprocated......), esp. when the blazers criticised him for going out to try and break the great Bikila (he was the only runner to challenge him in big races).
      He first ran for GB in 66 and beat Ron Hill among others to win the European marathon later that year. Dave Bedford and Ron Clark name him as one of their heroes.
      Returned to Ireland about 15 years ago when he retired. Ronnie Long helped him write an autobiography a few years back. Think Hartman has his Euro medal for his collection.

Comment

Michael now lives out near Knocklong now. Breeds a few horses and can still wear a dapper hat. Had no problem mixing work and training, in fact he'd say you need to work to keep it regular. Was world record holder at 6 miles track and heard him at a talk a few years back where he said he and his running mates were feared like the Africans are now - they had a toughness born out of necessity and hard work. Tough too - he won his first Irish championship barefoot.....
        Had no time for AAU/BLE (& it was reciprocated......), esp. when the blazers criticised him for going out to try and break the great Bikila (he was the only runner to challenge him in big races).
        He first ran for GB in 66 and beat Ron Hill among others to win the European marathon later that year. Dave Bedford and Ron Clark name him as one of their heroes.
        Returned to Ireland about 15 years ago when he retired. Ronnie Long helped him write an autobiography a few years back. Think Hartman has his Euro medal for his collection.
        I have the book, actually been meaning to ask him to sign it but wouldn't know where to start to look for him and wouldn't want to bother him tbh. It's a decent read if you're thinking of picking it up. He certainly wasn't averse to hard training anyhow.
        It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into.

Every plan I have is the best plan in the room. Everybody get quiet and listen to it, and everybody will win

Comment

Anybody else running the dublin marathon 5 weeks from today?
          started training at the start of june and have ran a 6k and 10k race and combined training with rugby pre season
          did 16miles today in 2hrs30mins(with some big hills) so trainings going alright.

Comment

Originally posted by ormond lad View Post
            Anybody else running the dublin marathon 5 weeks from today?
            There's a large group that meets in UL track for a session every Tue night at 7pm (6:45 for 7....). It's usually a 'speed/interval' session. Last week's was 4 x 6 mins, 1 min recovery, not sure what's on 2moro's menu. All levels from occasional joggers to good club/provincial level. All welcome, ask for Joe (it's officially the W. Limerick AC weekly track training session).

About a third of the group (over 60 last week) are doing Dublin. Most hoping to do it between 3 and 4:20.

Comment

There's a large group that meets in UL track for a session every Tue night at 7pm (6:45 for 7....). It's usually a 'speed/interval' session. Last week's was 4 x 6 mins, 1 min recovery, not sure what's on 2moro's menu. All levels from occasional joggers to good club/provincial level. All welcome, ask for Joe (it's officially the W. Limerick AC weekly track training session).

About a third of the group (over 60 last week) are doing Dublin. Most hoping to do it between 3 and 4:20.
              thanks. would do that but have rugby training tues and thurs night. i may go in and do a bit with nenagh olympic AC or triathlon club over the next few weeks as there's some kind of group doing something for 4 weeks time
              aiming for 4.30ish but as its my first marathon im not pushed at all about my finish time. crossing the line will do

Comment

Originally posted by ormond lad View Post
                thanks. would do that but have rugby training tues and thurs night. i may go in and do a bit with nenagh olympic AC or triathlon club over the next few weeks as there's some kind of group doing something for 4 weeks time
                aiming for 4.30ish but as its my first marathon im not pushed at all about my finish time. crossing the line will do
                Funny enough quite a few Limerick Tri lads do the UL Tue night (+ at least 2 nayna olymp), as the Dublin run is just after the tri season ends. And 2 ex-players (now coaches) were doing it last year too. Try to get along some tine, in the meantime get your long runs in and no injuries. presume you have contacts for Olympic & Tri (PM me if you need no.s).

Comment

Working...
                X