Half Marathon - Marathon.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Half Marathon - Marathon.

Just wondering if any of you are presently training for the half marathon in dublin in september or the big one in October? I am hoping to do both but very much a novice so just wondering is there any more out there in the same boat as me - marathon virgins if you like!!!

Training for the half-marathon in Dingle in early September, normally do 10k runs so trying to stretch it a bit.

Comment

Buy a good pair of runners and some blister plasters

Comment

Don't get runners knee like I did!
        The highway's jammed with broken heroes on a last chance power drive.
        Everybody's out on the run tonight but there\'s no place left to hide.

Comment

Originally posted by Shannonman

Just wondering if any of you are presently training for the half marathon in dublin in september or the big one in October? I am hoping to do both but very much a novice so just wondering is there any more out there in the same boat as me - marathon virgins if you like!!!

i am training for my first marathon in Dublin this october,

Good rubber dollies are by far the most important item.

I am currently running about 60 to 70km a week which is about the bare minimum at this point in time

Iam running a half marathon once a week on my own but am fairly wrecked after it. I need to get to do at least 30k in 1 go before the big one

Another good tip is use Nokia sports tracker to map where,how fast you run etc.

Other options of this are wayfinder sports on sony and I believe the I phone has a version too

Comment

Originally posted by Shannonman

If you are starting from scratch for the marathon then you're seriously behind!

You would need to be running 10k on a very regular basis at this stage for the 1/2 marathon and picking it up to about 15-16k before the event. The last couple of k's in the race are taken care of by adrenaline and the buzz of the event.

Oh, and runners are paramount to it, if you have the wrong type for your foot then you could seriously damage yourself.

Comment

Am in training for this years Dublin Marathon as well, not my first one though.
              Get yourself a good training guide - Hal Higdon's has been recommended elsewhere, I'm using Richard Nerurkar's training plan at the back of this book
              The key is to build up the distances slowly on your long slow runs to a maximum of 20/22 miles about 4 weeks before the marathon, and keep your long slow runs slow!
              You can look for speed/fitness in your shorter runs during the week but if its your first time just getting around will probably be your aim!
              mapmyrun.com is handy for plotting routes as well.

Dublin Northeast FF free since Feb 27th 2011

Comment

Originally posted by My2Cents
                Get yourself a good training guide - Hal Higdon's has been recommended elsewhere, I'm using Richard Nerurkar's training plan at the back of this book
                The key is to build up the distances slowly on your long slow runs to a maximum of 20/22 miles about 4 weeks before the marathon, and keep your long slow runs slow!
                You can look for speed/fitness in your shorter runs during the week but if its your first time just getting around will probably be your aim!

have you heard of this walk/ run marathon where you walk after every mile for 60 seconds for the first 18 miles - its meant to protect you and you can improve your time allegedly

Comment

Anyone doing The Nike+ Human Race this year on the 24th October? Ill be in London that weekend so i might just walk a 10k around london and log my time!

Comment

Originally posted by Reacher
                    Anyone doing The Nike+ Human Race this year on the 24th October? Ill be in London that weekend so i might just walk a 10k around london and log my time!
                    Just registered yesterday for the New York one.If its anything like last years it will be a great event.
                    No signature

Comment

Originally posted by rebelkell

Originally posted by My2Cents

have you heard of this walk/ run marathon where you walk after every mile for 60 seconds for the first 18 miles - its meant to protect you and you can improve your time allegedly
                      Thats the Jim Galloway one yeah? It seems to work for some people, but I'm sceptical about the approach. The only way it can work to improve times is by increasing your pace in the running sections to offset the time lost while walking, for me that would be too disruptive and could lead to a build up of lactic acid in the leg muscles during the walk period. It might be worth trying if you're prone to injuries but if you slowly build up the distances and wear the correct tackies that shouldn't be a problem.
                      Dublin Northeast FF free since Feb 27th 2011

Comment

Originally posted by DEARGDOOM
                        Just registered yesterday for the New York one.If its anything like last years it will be a great event.
                        Best of luck with it, is it in Central Park?

Comment

Am I just wierd in that I just dont see the attraction in running marathons? I'm not lazy (honestly), go to the gym 5 days a week, play (vets) and coach rugby but the thought of running that distance just makes me allergic. I've done marathon cycles, Cork to Galway, tour de Munster (600K, 4 days) but running, yuck. Yet at some stage everyone seems to catch the marathon bug. Same with golf, just dont get that either.
                          \"Golf is a game for c**ts\" Ronnie Drew

Comment

I have run 3 1/2's and 2 full marathons (Prague and Amsterdam), plus a load of 10milers (Ballycotton, Dungarvan, Mallow) and 10k's in the past few years. Most of my training bas been based on the mileage plans from this website which I found a super source for info for beginners.

http://www.marathontraining.com/marathon.html

Comment

http://www.marathonguide.com/

This is a good one too....

Comment

Working...
                              X