• Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cowboy View Post
    lance armstrong too
    Lance Armstrong isn't a sport, he just thought he was

Comment

Originally posted by whimpersnap View Post
      Is this a joke? Rugby is the answer.
      Not to this scale. There's trying to get away with it, and then there's players throwing themselves to the floor, diving, feigning injury, surrounding the referee, throwing tantrums, etc. Their cheating is not only accepted but expected. Players will try to get away with things in rugby, but they never act the way footballers do.
      The Maul is Back!! LONG LIVE THE MAUL!!

Stringer is bigger even than his own immense shadow. Pound for pound, he is the best tackler in the world. If you put him into bag of cats he\'d come out without a scratch. He was hit very late for Murphy\'s try. And when he got up, as we knew he would, the crowd cried his name as if he had just fixed the economy.Billy Keane-After Munster\'s famous loss to the AB\'s.

The Bull-Truly irreplaceable, a mountain of a man. 100 caps!!

Comment

Originally posted by Stringer9 View Post
        Not to this scale. There's trying to get away with it, and then there's players throwing themselves to the floor, diving, feigning injury, surrounding the referee, throwing tantrums, etc. Their cheating is not only accepted but expected. Players will try to get away with things in rugby, but they never act the way footballers do.
        Literally every few seconds in a rugby game there is somebody deliberately cheating. It's fine - that's the game - but it's really not something you can go and criticise other sports for.

Comment

Literally every few seconds in a rugby game there is somebody deliberately cheating. It's fine - that's the game - but it's really not something you can go and criticise other sports for.
          I agree with you, there is cheating in the game, a lot of it, there's cheating in every sport, but what I meant by cheating was the play acting and the general attitude that this cheating, this play acting is both acceptable and worse expected. If you're tackled, the expectation is that you dive. It's the norm, a player gets sent off you expect to see them swarming the referee getting in his face. etc. There's very little honesty out there and no respect for the refs. We've had our fair share of bad refs out there in rugby, but I'm always incredibly slow to criticise a ref as they have the hardest job out there, but there's just no respect in this game. There's just this culture of disrespect and nastiness in the game. It's very difficult to watch it.
          Last edited by Stringer9; 11th-March-2015, 21:28.

Stringer is bigger even than his own immense shadow. Pound for pound, he is the best tackler in the world. If you put him into bag of cats he\'d come out without a scratch. He was hit very late for Murphy\'s try. And when he got up, as we knew he would, the crowd cried his name as if he had just fixed the economy.Billy Keane-After Munster\'s famous loss to the AB\'s.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	B_2VRuSXAAELLqt.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	35.4 KB
ID:	2485128
            "Everything good about Ireland can be found in County Cork"....Lonely Planet Guide 2012

Comment

I agree with you, there is cheating in the game, a lot of it, there's cheating in every sport, but what I meant by cheating was the play acting and the general attitude that this cheating, this play acting is both acceptable and worse expected. If you're tackled, the expectation is that you dive. It's the norm, a player gets sent off you expect to see them swarming the referee getting in his face. etc. There's very little honesty out there and no respect for the refs. We've had our fair share of bad refs out there in rugby, but I'm always incredibly slow to criticise a ref as they have the hardest job out there, but there's just no respect in this game. There's just this culture of disrespect and nastiness in the game. It's very difficult to watch it.
              I think we'll just have to disagree. They are both games that, to a large extent, rely on who can better fool the referee.

Comment

I think we'll just have to disagree. They are both games that, to a large extent, rely on who can better fool the referee.
                Fair enough. I guess it does come down to who can get away with what.
                But though do you not find it very difficult to watch all that diving, general cheating and shouting in referees faces etc.? Regardless of what players do on the pitch you'll have to search hard to find players acting like that.

There's a respectful attitude in the players have towards the game, but while football is a skilful game, they've no respect, and I find if very hard to watch the kind of carry on.

Comment

Fair enough. I guess it does come down to who can get away with what.
                  But though do you not find it very difficult to watch all that diving, general cheating and shouting in referees faces etc.? Regardless of what players do on the pitch you'll have to search hard to find players acting like that.

There's a respectful attitude in the players have towards the game, but while football is a skilful game, they've no respect, and I find if very hard to watch the kind of carry on.
                  Today was farcical but it was also an extreme example. I disagree about rugby players having a respectful attitude towards the game - if they did they wouldn't try to pull a stroke at every opportunity. It's professional sport - players just have less scruples than they did in the good old days. Football just happens to be a lower-contact game than rugby, so you see more play-acting around physical fouls.

Comment

Abolish the crazy rules that allow Jack Grealish to play for the Republic of Ireland
                    By MARTIN SAMUEL - SPORT FOR THE DAILY MAIL

English journalist wants rules changed shocker! However, some of his arguments are downright hostile. So they've woken up and seen a player they'd like, and now want the granny rule changed. We can have Andy Townsend, because he was "unwanted" by England ... etc.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/article-3049357/Abolish-crazy-rules-allow-Jack-Grealish-play-Republic-Ireland.html

Anyway, as far as I know, even if FIFA abolished the granny rule (unlikely), guys like Grealish can still play because they are eligible for Irish nationality - correct?
                    "I don't believe in fairytales," O'Connell once told me, "even though it feels like I've been lucky enough to live through a few. However it ends, I'll feel lucky."
                    Donald McRae, Guardian Rugby, October 2015

Comment

football needs to move to a real time clock that stops when there are injuries or arguments... something like 60 mins. it will cut out 90% of the bull**** we see in the champions league knock outs.

Comment

Originally posted by blackwarrior View Post
                        Abolish the crazy rules that allow Jack Grealish to play for the Republic of Ireland
                        By MARTIN SAMUEL - SPORT FOR THE DAILY MAIL

English journalist wants rules changed shocker! However, some of his arguments are downright hostile. So they've woken up and seen a player they'd like, and now want the granny rule changed. We can have Andy Townsend, because he was "unwanted" by England ... etc.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/article-3049357/Abolish-crazy-rules-allow-Jack-Grealish-play-Republic-Ireland.html

Anyway, as far as I know, even if FIFA abolished the granny rule (unlikely), guys like Grealish can still play because they are eligible for Irish nationality - correct?
                        would having an irish grandmother make grealish eligible for irish citizenship? without any residency served?

Comment

Originally posted by hellovating View Post
                          would having an irish grandmother make grealish eligible for irish citizenship? without any residency served?
                          Yes, according to this site: http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en...r_descent.html
                          "I don't believe in fairytales," O'Connell once told me, "even though it feels like I've been lucky enough to live through a few. However it ends, I'll feel lucky."
                          Donald McRae, Guardian Rugby, October 2015

Comment

Jimmy Greaves had a stroke yesterday.

He's in Intensive Care according to RTE Radio News.

Comment

Messi still has all the time in the world on the ball. I don't watch a giant amount of soccer but can someone suggest a reason why Barca bought Rakitic? He plays a bit like Kieran Donaghy or even Jim Hamilton, a big flat footed lummox

he's very, agricultural.
                              Last edited by Cowboy; 6th-May-2015, 19:11.
                              I am the million man.

Comment

They need a non-superstar who's willing to work like a dog to feed the superstars up front.

Messi is so far out there on his own, compare his attitude to the show pony last night (who I've championed in the past)!!
                                "Everything good about Ireland can be found in County Cork"....Lonely Planet Guide 2012

Comment

Working...
                                X