The Football Thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NotreDameRFC View Post
    British transfer record signings Bale and Andy Carroll £120m..

top Portuguese signings £117m Ronaldo and Figo..

hyper inflated valuations in UK?
    The problem is in Spain, whose clubs bought three of those players.

Comment

The problem I see is the clubs selling the players. They keep pushing the price up knowing the prospective suitors are willing to pay over the odds. It's all about getting into the CL in England and that one player could make the difference. How can a player unwanted by Real Madrid (Ozil) be worth £42m?! For once the only club looking to do good business is Liverpool.
      He's a guy who gets up at six o'clock in the morning regardless of what time it is.

Comment

Absolutely in the case of Carroll, the biggest waste of money since AC broke the world record in the 90's for Lentini. However for Real it is actually a good piece of business, offloaded Ozil so they really only spent 50m half to be paid this season and half next, shirt sales alone will easily cover that. I suppose we all look at transfers in the wrong light as such, these are businesses buying assets and like any purchase is a risk as to whether or not it pays for itself.
        "Everything good about Ireland can be found in County Cork"....Lonely Planet Guide 2012

Comment

Bit harsh on Lentini, he was almost killed in a car crash. Andy Carroll only had to contend with Stewart Downing.
          "It’s not the team you support, it’s the club you should support. The team on the pitch will ebb and flow because that’s the nature of sport. No team has ever been successful decade on decade. The club has the history and that’s the passion you should have."

Comment

Originally posted by Jenta View Post
            Bit harsh on Lentini, he was almost killed in a car crash. Andy Carroll only had to contend with Stewart Downing.
            Well now I just feel bad!!
            "Everything good about Ireland can be found in County Cork"....Lonely Planet Guide 2012

Comment

Originally posted by Grandpasimpson View Post
              Absolutely in the case of Carroll, the biggest waste of money since AC broke the world record in the 90's for Lentini. However for Real it is actually a good piece of business, offloaded Ozil so they really only spent 50m half to be paid this season and half next, shirt sales alone will easily cover that. I suppose we all look at transfers in the wrong light as such, these are businesses buying assets and like any purchase is a risk as to whether or not it pays for itself.
              As a US Sports fan...im not bothered or fazed by the transfer fees and realise the net benefits a club like RM get from signing Ronaldo for example.
              Moreso questioning value for money on the pitch when you compare the British duo compared to the Portuguese duo.

Alex Rodriguez the disgraced baseball player had signed a $275m contract with the Yankees.
              "Hell, I'm not saying I'm an angel, but when it came to dirty tricks I couldn't hold a candle to the Irish Mafia" Jimmy Hoffa

Comment

Originally posted by redherring View Post
                The problem I see is the clubs selling the players. They keep pushing the price up knowing the prospective suitors are willing to pay over the odds. It's all about getting into the CL in England and that one player could make the difference. How can a player unwanted by Real Madrid (Ozil) be worth £42m?! For once the only club looking to do good business is Liverpool.
                Would you think so re Liverpool? From the outside looking in..it looks like Arsenal and Spurs have widened the gap back to liverpool again.
                "Hell, I'm not saying I'm an angel, but when it came to dirty tricks I couldn't hold a candle to the Irish Mafia" Jimmy Hoffa

Comment

Originally posted by Jenta View Post
                  That player from brazil Denhilson?? Sao Paulo to Betis? Was the biggest flop in terms of mega transfers.

Comment

Originally posted by Grandpasimpson View Post
                    they really only spent 50m half to be paid this season and half next, shirt sales alone will easily cover that.
                    how many shirts will it take to make that back though?
                    "Some people don't know their easy lives... I wouldn't be so ungrateful" - Fiacre Ryan - #AutismAndMe

Comment

That player from brazil Denhilson?? Sao Paulo to Betis? Was the biggest flop in terms of mega transfers.
                      And I stuck the bandy-legged numpty's name on the back of my Brazil '98 jersey!
                      Marty in the Morning

Comment

Some other recent flops that spring to mind:

Sheva - Milan to Chelsea 30.8m GBP
                        Robinho - Real to Man City 32.5m GBP (and they had to pay 1.8m to Santos)
                        Kaka - Milan to Real 56m GBP (left on a free last week back to Milan.. could be fantastic business for the Rossoneri)
                        Marty in the Morning

Comment

I was listening to Talk Sport earlier and half heard a question as follows: "Can you name the 13( I think) teams in the top four levels of English Football with "ton" in their name?"

Anyone?

Comment

Would you think so re Liverpool? From the outside looking in..it looks like Arsenal and Spurs have widened the gap back to liverpool again.
                            Well I'm speaking purely in terms of finances. Liverpool look like they've done some shrude business. A Spanish colleague of mine reckons Aspas and Luis Alberto were very good deals for the price they got them at. I think it is too early to tell whether the gap has been stretched back to Liverpool or have they closed on the other two.
                            He's a guy who gets up at six o'clock in the morning regardless of what time it is.

Comment

Originally posted by Piquet View Post
                              I was listening to Talk Sport earlier and half heard a question as follows: "Can you name the 13( I think) teams in the top four levels of English Football with "ton" in their name?"

Anyone?
                              Are Newton Heath included?

Comment

Aston Villa, Brighton & Hove Albion, Everton, Darlington, Charlton Athletic, Accrington Stanley, Northampton Town, Southampton, Preston North End, Wolverhampton Wanderers, Bolton Wanderers.

Struggling with two more. Not sure about Darlington and AS?

Comment

Working...
                                X