Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Football Thread.

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #61
    irishtimes.com - Last Updated: Thursday, May 6, 2010, 19:01
    <H1>Mancini receives vote of confidence</H1>
    <DIV style="CLEAR: left"></DIV>


    <S&#079;NG>Soccer:</S&#079;NG>Manchester City chairman Khaldoon al-Mubarak has squashed speculation that Roberto Mancini will be sacked this summer and revealed the Blues boss will be given “all the tools he needs” to make the club a success.





    As Mancini was installed as successor to Mark Hughes in December and given the stated target of reaching 70 points or cementing a top-four berth, last night’s defeat to Tottenham, which means the Blues will just miss out on both counts, has been interpreted by some as the death knell for his reign.


    Yet, despite the negativity that surrounded their handling of Hughes’ departure, Khaldoon and owner Sheikh Mansour have never viewed Mancini’s appointment as a short-term option.


    And, although they will spend the summer planning for the Europa League rather than the Champions League as they hoped, the City hierarchy are committed to Mancini.


    “There is no speculation,” Khaldoon told www.mcfc.co.uk. “Roberto has done an excellent job. I am very happy and Sheikh Mansour is delighted with the way he has organised the team. With a good pre-season to prepare for next season he (Mancini) is going to do a wonderful job for us next season and for many years.


    “I have the highest regard for him as a human being and as a person and believe he is definitely the right manager for this club for many years.”


    Khaldoon’s words will come as a relief to the majority of the City faithful, who feel their club would benefit from a period of stability after going through five managers in the past six seasons.


    Although many would argue the Blues have performed no better than was the case when Hughes was at the helm, the argument from those inside the club is that the Welshman let himself down with a lack of communication with senior figures inside the club, particularly football director Brian Marwood, whose influence is so strong.


    Khaldoon certainly sees enough progress to be reasonably satisfied with City’s efforts this term.


    “We made a big leap last year,” he said. “It is a different team now, especially in the last couple of months. “This is a much more organised team.


    “Roberto is driven and committed. He has a winning mentality. He wants to achieve things and has the interests of the club at heart.


    “What he needs this summer is time to prepare. We know the areas which need to be improved and the manager will be given all the tools he needs to be well prepared for next season.”


    It will be fascinating to see how much reshaping of the City squad actually takes place.


    Although Mancini rubber-stamped Adam Johnson’s signing in January, his only real signing was former Inter Milan midfielder Patrick Vieira.


    He has now had time to assess the strengths and weaknesses of those at his disposal, so his handling of Robinho and Emmanuel Adebayor, who cost over €65 million between them, is awaited with eager interest.


    There could up to a dozen departures, although Carlos Tevez, who has been heavily linked with a big money move to Spain, does not look like being amongst them.


    “Carlos Tevez has scored 29 goals and has been the heart and soul of this team,” said Khaldoon. “He has been absolutely phenomenal. I have no doubt he’s going to be the best player in the world — it is just a matter of time.”


    Khaldoon must hope his claim proves to be correct and Tevez can be used as one of the attractions of a move to City given they will not be able to offer Champions League combat next term.


    There is obvious disappointment around the Blues camp about that fact, but no sense of defeatism. If those who cast envious glances towards the riches being bestowed at Eastlands feel one season’s setback is going to derail the grand Abu Dhabi-backed plan, they are mistaken.


    “We are going to

    Comment


      #62
      irishtimes.com - Last Updated: Tuesday, May 11, 2010, 08:35
      <H1>Hodgson named manager of the year</H1>
      <DIV style="CLEAR: left"></DIV>


      <S&#079;NG>Soccer:</S&#079;NG>Fulham's Roy Hodgson has been named as the manager of the year by the League Managers' Association (LMA).


      Hodgson has been recognised by his peers after steering the Cottagers to the Europa League final for the first time in their history as well as taking the London club to 12th in the Premier League on a limited budget.


      Fulham, who also reached the quarter-finals of the FA Cup, will have played 63 games this term after their prestigious clash with Atletico Madrid having started their European campaign last July.


      Tottenham's Harry Redknapp took this season's Premier League manager of the year award after guiding Spurs to fourth place but LMA Chairman Howard Wilkinson believes Hodgson's efforts since taking over an ailing Fulham in December 2007 make him a worthy winner of the overall prize.


      "Since joining Fulham, Roy has transformed the club's fortunes," said Wilkinson.


      "He initially saved them from the brink of relegation then took them to their highest ever league position last season. This year he has capitalised on that platform, achieving remarkable success in this season's Europa League.


      "He is highly respected by the LMA members and also on an international level where he has worked his miracles in no fewer than seven countries. He is a great role model for all aspiring managers and coaches and is fully deserving of this recognition."


      Newcastle's Chris Hughton is the new Coca-Cola Championship manager of the year for his efforts in taking the club back up at the first attempt, while Norwich's Paul Lambert and Rochdale's Keith Hill have been honoured for their exploits in League One and League Two respectively.


      Steve McClaren, enjoying a career renaissance in the Netherlands with FC Twente and has since taken over as boss of German side Wolfsburg, was handed the LMA's special merit award, while there were also gongs for Arsenal director Ken Friar, who won the service to football award, and Ron Atkinson, who was inducted to the LMA's Hall of Fame.


      Richard Bevan, chief executive of the LMA, said: "Tonight is a celebration of this season's managerial achievements throughout all four leagues at the highest level.


      "To be voted for and acknowledged by your fellow members, peers and competitors is a great honour and the ultimate accolade is public recognition of success.


      "The manager remains the most important man at a football club and to succeed in this profession requires extreme dedication and commitment.


      "Roy Hodgson received an overwhelming number of votes from the members and has won the LMA Manager of the Year Award sponsored by Barclays by the most significant margin in the history of the award.


      "He is highly respected within the game and held in the highest regard in the family of football. He freely gives up his time to help other coaches and managers develop and hone their skills and talents, regularly contributing to the LMA's educational programmes."

      Comment


        #63


        No surprise with this after the last few months and especiallyafter thecontroversyin april


        irishtimes.com - Last Updated: Tuesday, May 11, 2010, 12:06
        <H1>Search for Zola replacement begins</H1>
        <DIV style="CLEAR: left"></DIV>


        <S&#079;NG>Soccer:</S&#079;NG>West Ham have sacked Gianfranco Zola after narrowly avoiding relegation from the Premier League. The Hammers finished fourth from bottom, five points above Burnley, and owners David Sullian and David Gold have decided a change in manager was needed.


        The search for a successor to Zola starts immediately. The club confirmed they had terminated the Italian’s contract after months of speculation over his future at the club.


        Zola, who took charge in September 2008, struggled to keep the club in the top flight this season despite managing a squad including England players Robert Green, Matthew Upson and Carlton Cole.


        A statement on the club’s website www.whufc.com read: “West Ham United confirm that they have terminated the contract of Gianfranco Zo


        “The Board of Directors would like to thank him for his contribution and wish him well for the future.


        “The club will now be focusing its efforts on seeking a replacement. The club will be making no further comment on this matter.”


        West Ham are heavily in debt following the collapse of former owner Bjorgolfur Gudmundsson's business empire. The club was bought by ex-Birmingham City owners Gold and Sullivan in January and Zola's future had since been the subject of constant speculation.





        Zola had hinted at disagreements with the club's boardroom powerbrokers in April when he said he had not been consulted over a bid for West Bromwich Albion midfielder Graham Dorrans.





        The diminutive 43-year-old said he had been surprised to learn of the bid in a newspaper.


        Former West Ham striker Tony Cottee believes the timing of Zola's dismissal was correct but criticised the club's new regime for undermining the Italian during his reign at Upton Park.


        "I am pleased they haven't messed around and it dragged on for months,” said Cottee. "If they are going to do it, get it done, but the fans will judge it on the calibre of the manager coming in.


        "I think Gianfranco has done a decent job in difficult circumstances.


        "It hasn't been easy for him, everything that could have gone wrong at West Ham has gone wrong.


        "And at the end of the season Gianfranco and the players have done well to stay up.


        "But having said that the results haven't been good enough and obviously the board have now made a decision."


        Cottee added: "What I would criticise them (the board) for is not sacking him when they first arrived at the club.


        "It did appear right from the start that Zola was not their man.


        "Various things have happened through the season that have undermined the management and the players, emails and things getting into the press. That doesn't make for a happy camp. I don't think the board handled it very well."


        Cottee believes Croatia boss and former West Ham defender Slaven Bilic is the man to transform the club's fortunes.


        He said: "The fans want a manager who will bring success. The right man for me is Slaven Bilic, I think he is head and shoulders above the other candidates.


        "I would love to see him return to West Ham.


        "He has had a great experience with Croatia but they didn't qualify for the World Cup and if West Ham could give him an escape route I think he would take it.


        "He has a lot of passion for the club and still has a place in London."

        Comment


          #64
          Fair play to Fulham last night, pity they couldn't go all the way!
          "Newmarket hit Clonlara hard in the first ten minutes but doing so to a team like Clonlara is like hitting a bear. Better off to play away and not to antagonise the beast."

          Comment


            #65
            yes a lot of disappointed supporters. My London-based son had a 17 hour coach tripHamburg - London each way with the supporters club. I can imagine how they felt!

            Comment


              #66
              Harry tells sky to **** off.

              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5fwFba59lQ

              Comment


                #67
                <DIV =storyer>
                <H1>Love the headline, from the RTE website [img]smileys/lol.gif[/img]</H1>
                <H1>Rooney available to play away from home </H1>Monday, 6 September 2010 16:20 </DIV>
                <DIV =story><rte:>


                <S&#079;NG>EURO EXTRA: Put your questions to John, Liam and Eamon for our WORLDWIDE WEB-ONLY exclusive. Click here for more.</SIKE></SMALL></NOTFORSYNDICATI&#079;N></S&#079;NG>


                The Football Association has confirmed that Wayne Rooney will travel to Switzerland ahead of England's Euro 2012 qualifier in Basle.


                The 24-year-old has been the subject of intense scrutiny in his private life over the past 24 hours and there had been some speculation that the Manchester United forward might remain at home.
                <DIV id=story_island></DIV>


                Coach Fabio Capello is yet to confirm whether he intends to select Rooney for what has been billed as England's most difficult qualifying game.</rte:></DIV>

                Comment


                  #68
                  Egypt: 'Up to 40' killed in Egypt football violence

                  There is bitter rivalry between the two teams
                  Continue reading the main story Egypt's Revolution




                  Up to 40 people have been killed in fan clashes following a football match in the Egyptian city of Port Said, state television reports.
                  The deaths occurred after supporters invaded the pitch following a match between top-tier clubs Masry and Ahly on Wednesday.
                  It is feared the death toll could rise as scores have been injured.
                  Some of the dead were security officers, the Associated Press quoted a morgue official as saying.
                  The BBC's Jon Leyne in Cairo says it appears fans had taken knives into the stadium.
                  Our correspondent says the lack of the usual level of security in the stadium might have contributed to the clashes.
                  Police in Egypt have been keeping a much lower profile since last year's popular protests that ousted President Hosni Mubarak from power.
                  Bitter rivalry Television pictures have shown images of crowds descending into the stadium, chasing rical fans and players.
                  Some were cornered in the stadium, parts of which were set on fire.
                  Egyptian fans are notoriously violent, says our correspondent, particularly supporters of Ahly known as the Ultras.
                  They have been heavily implicated in the political confrontations recently, our correspondent adds.
                  Wednesday's violence broke out at the end of the match, which, unusually, the Port Said side Masry won 3-1.
                  As match ended, their fans flooded onto the pitch attacking Ahly players and fans.
                  It is one of the worst football-related incidents in Egypt.
                  Tic-Toc. POC and DOC. Stop the clock.

                  Comment


                    #69
                    Now 76.

                    Very sad.

                    Some theories like the following one being bandied about:

                    http://tensport.com.au/news/newsarti...all-deaths.htm


                    Egypt Islamists blame Mubarak supporters for football deaths
                    Copyright AFP 2012.Published Date:02/02/2012 08:28:00 AM


                    Egypt's Muslim Brotherhood, the country's largest political force, has accused supporters of ousted president Hosni Mubarak of instigating the football violence that left 73 people dead on Wednesday.

                    "The events in Port Said are planned and are a message from the remnants of the former regime," said MP Essam al-Erian in a statement on the Islamist group's Freedom and Justice Party website.

                    In other comments, also posted on the site, Erian said: "This tragedy is the result of negligence and the lack of army and police, and those running the country bear the responsibility."

                    "The collapse of security comes as though in revenge for our call to lift the state of emergency, with deliberate destruction in the country on the anniversary of the revolution," he said.

                    "There are those who deliberately want to sow chaos in the country and place obstacles in front of the peaceful transfer of power."

                    He said parliament would send a letter to the interior minister and security chiefs asking them to "take responsibility or stay at home."
                    Life is good

                    Comment


                      #70
                      1000+ injured as well, shocking stuff.
                      Always

                      Comment


                        #71
                        Horrific scenes on tv, and once again its at a soccer match. Just shows the hatred that exists between soccer supporters of certain clubs, and I certainly have attended many soccer matches over the years, so I'am not an anti soccer person

                        Comment


                          #72
                          I have a feeling this runs deeper than soccer.
                          Life is good

                          Comment


                            #73
                            All political, sounds like the policed armed some of the hooligans
                            Always

                            Comment


                              #74
                              http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/16890236
                              On the Munster pack: "Mothers keep their photo on the mantelpiece to stop the kids going too near the fire." - Jim Noilly, BBC TV (1995)

                              Comment


                                #75
                                Lot of bad news stories in soccer atm.
                                Life is good

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X