X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

irishtimes.com - Last Updated: Thursday, April 22, 2010, 14:32
    <H1>Coppell confirmed as Bristol City boss</H1>
    <DIV style="CLEAR: left"></DIV>

Bristol City have confirmed the appointment of Steve Coppell as their new manager on a 12-month rolling contract. The 54-year-old former England international has been out of work since resigning from his post at Reading last summer.

Coppell will replace Gary Johnson, who left Ashton Gate after five years in charge in March, although caretaker manager Keith Millen, who himself had been in the running for the post, will stay in charge for the last two games of the season.

Coppell has won promotion to the top flight three times, including setting a record haul of 106 points with Reading four years ago.

City have not been in the top flight for 30 years but Coppell is intent on ending that wait.

He said: “Every manager knows that promotion is his brief and I’m no different. This is a club that wants to go forward and wants to be in the top division. It’s my opportunity to take this club there and that is our challenge.

“No one person can do it by themselves and we will need to work as a team. Football is a week-to-week industry and I will be looking for improvement. Everyone is judged on results and we need to win games but we need to finish strongly this season and look to kick on.”

Comment

irishtimes.com - Last Updated: Friday, April 23, 2010, 08:12
      <H1>Hodgson 'delighted' but cautious</H1>

<S&#079;NG>Europa League:</S&#079;NG>Roy Hodgson has claimed it would be "downright foolish" for Fulham to believe their place in next month's Europa League final has already been secured.

Despite spending 17 hours on a bus to get to Hamburg, the Cottagers fought a defiant rearguard action to claim a 0-0 draw in the first leg of their semi-final clash at the Nordbank Arena.

It means a victory of any kind on home soil next week will be enough to take Fulham into the first European final in their history.

Yet despite the positive nature of the tie, Hodgson is remaining firmly entrenched in the reality of the situation.

"It would be worse than dangerous, it would be downright foolish," said Hodgson of the prospect of thinking victory had already been achieved.

"We are at half-time, and we have to play another 90 minute half.

"Not many people leave stadiums at half-time, or go for a cup of tea thinking the game has been won.

"There is a lot of football to be played and Hamburg are a very good team. If they score a goal next week the advantage passes to them.

"The tie is open but I am delighted about that because it is very easy to put yourself out of contention."

Comment

Rafa has to go I'd say - they didnt even have one shot on target
        Stand up and fight

Comment

Originally posted by sparks
          Rafa has to go I'd say - they didnt even have one shot on target

No,no,stay stay [img]smileys/biggrin.gif[/img].

Comment

Has he said he if he was going to juve?
            Stand up and fight

Comment

Has he said he if he was going to juve?

He said he was staying at Liverpool [img]smileys/biggrin.gif[/img].

Comment

Muppet - lets all laugh at the fat spanish waiter[img]smileys/lol.gif[/img]
                Stand up and fight

Comment

I'm sure he will spend another 100 million "wisely" and packet countless millions in wages.

It will be interesting to see how much Liverpool will get sold for when they won't make the champions league.Major loss of cash for next season.

Comment

Originally posted by taz

I'm sure he will spend another 100 million "wisely" and packet countless millions in wages.

It will be interesting to see how much Liverpool will get sold for when they won't make the champions league.Major loss of cash for next season.
                    Here is hoping he does stay so [img]smileys/lol.gif[/img]
                    Stand up and fight

Comment

Originally posted by taz

Here is hoping he does stay so [img]smileys/lol.gif[/img]

Honestly,he is!

Comment

This story is from rte.ie/soccer
                        <DIV =storyer>
                        <H1>Roy Keane rules out Celtic switch</H1>Friday, 23 April 2010 09:49 </DIV>
                        <DIV =story><rte:>

Ipswich manager Roy Keane has ruled out a return to Celtic as their new boss.

The Ipswich boss ended his playing career at Parkhead four years ago following a short spell in Glasgow and is on the bookmakers' shortlist to replace Tony Mowbray, who departed last month.

However, the former Manchester United star has distanced himself from the speculation and was quoted in the Daily Record as saying: 'Be very surprised if you see me walking through the gates at Celtic Park - except if it's for the Old Firm game on Tuesday week because I might come up for that one.'

Keane believes Neil Lennon is doing a fine job as interim boss at Celtic Park, even though the Hoops were recently knocked out of the Active Nation Scottish Cup semi-final by Irn-Bru First Division side Ross County.

He said: 'Celtic are a bigger club than anyone will ever understand unless they have been involved there.

'I was there for six months and I had my problems with a few injuries, plus the manager didn't really pick me. The sheer size of the club is staggering.

'Neil has made that point and I couldn't agree more. Hopefully they will get the right manager and I have to say Lenny is doing well.

'He's won four league games but I know they lost in the Scottish Cup. They're having disappointments but that's when you find out who the real supporters are.'</rte:></DIV>

Comment

irishtimes.com - Last Updated: Friday, April 23, 2010, 14:27
                          <H1>Wenger asks fans to lay off Adebayor</H1>

Arsene Wenger has called on Arsenal fans and players alike not to target Emmanuel Adebayor when the controversial former Gunners striker returns to the Emirates Stadium tomorrow.

Manchester City boss Roberto Mancini is confident the €29million summer signing has learnt the lessons of past mistakes and will keep the focus purely on the football against his old club.

Adebayor was handed a three-match ban for raking his studs down the face of Arsenal forward Robin van Persie following an ill-advised goal celebration — an action which resulted in a suspended two-game sanction and a €29,000 fine from the English Football Association — when he raced the full length of the field to slide right in front of the Gunners supporters during the clash at Eastlands back in September.

Wenger, who plucked the now retired Togo striker from relative obscurity at Monaco during January 2006 and helped turn him into one of the hottest properties in Europe, believes all that should be left in the past.

The Arsenal boss said: “I am stubborn, but not stupid — sometimes in the heat of the moment you can do things that are not right.

“It is not only Adebayor, but also Patrick Vieira and Kolo Toure — we will welcome them all back.

“We have always had the same line of conduct — to respect what they have done for us and we want our fans to respect that as well and encourage our team.

“No matter what happened in the first game, it is important that we have a positive attitude and encourage our players.

“I believe more than ever tomorrow we will need the crowd to be behind us. I expect everybody to behave well.”

Comment

irishtimes.com - Last Updated: Saturday, April 24, 2010, 20:21
                            <H1>Given stretchered off with suspected broken shoulder</H1>

Republic of Ireland goalkeeper Shay Given looks set to miss the upcoming friendlies against Paraguay and Algeria at the RDS after injuring his left shoulder in Manchester City’s Premier League draw against Arsenal at The Emirates this evening.

City will also have to do without their number one as they continue the fight to claim fourth position and a Champions League slot for next season.

The Donegalman was fully extended in getting a hand to a stinging Abou Diaby shot after 70 minutes and looked in a lot of pain during lengthy treatment on the pitch.

Given was administered oxygen before being taken off on a stretcher to be replaced by Gunnar Nielsen.

After the game, City manager Roberto Mancini confirmed that Given had gone straight to hospital for treatment, while there was speculation that he may have broken his shoulder.

Mancini, though, believes his side can cope without Given in their last three games of the season and gave credit to Faroe Islands international Nielsen.

“I hope it’s a little injury, but I don’t know. Now Shay is in the hospital so I don’t know,” Mancini said. “I don’t think we have a problem for the next three games.”

Defender Kolo Toure admitted Given will be a loss, but gave his backing to Nielsen.

“I think he’s done his shoulder,” said the Ivorian. “He’s a really important player for us. I think the second goalkeeper did really well.”

The worry for Republic of Ireland manager Giovanni Trapattoni is that Given has already had surgery on his left shoulder, that has troubled him throughout his career.

If he requires a further operation it could also rule him out of the glamour friendly against Argentina at the new Aviva Stadium on August 11th, before Trapattoni’s side open their European Championship qualifying campaign away to Armenia on September 3rd.

Comment

Who to shout for today?

Liverpool lose: Humiliation for the fat spanish waiter [img]smileys/biggrin.gif[/img]

Burnley lose: Relegation for them [img]smileys/biggrin.gif[/img]

Burnley win: Two more local derbys to look forward to next season and a possible 6 points

Stand up and fight

Comment

g'wan the Villa[img]smileys/biggrin.gif[/img]
                                whoooooooooooooo

"They think they know us, but they haven't a clue"

Comment

Working...
                                X