The Football Thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Penalty time...
    On the Munster pack: "Mothers keep their photo on the mantelpiece to stop the kids going too near the fire." - Jim Noilly, BBC TV (1995)

Comment

Well, Lyon are out, Apoel win 4-3 on penalties...
      On the Munster pack: "Mothers keep their photo on the mantelpiece to stop the kids going too near the fire." - Jim Noilly, BBC TV (1995)

Comment

On a different matter Glen Johnson gets in his tuppence worth here about the Evra-Suarez affair. It seems....

"Evra was clever at Old Trafford.

"Luis didn't shake his hand because Evra's hand was down there. What else is Luis supposed to do? Would you go to shake someone's hand if their hand is way down there by their side? Course not.

"But then, because Luis didn't do it, Evra has pulled him back by his arm as he walked on, as if to say to everybody: 'Look, I wanted to shake his hand and he didn't...'"

"Evra probably stayed up all night thinking about how to do that. The whole thing was ridiculous."

He then has a go at Paul McGrath:

"The McGrath thing ... that's actually racist. Saying what he said is racist. He is only saying that to me because I was the only black lad wearing the T-shirt.

"He's targeting me because of my colour."

It seems the tee shirt idea was LFC's not the players

"It seemed to come across that we were making a point. We weren't. It was the club's idea. But obviously we all agreed. We didn't really think about how people would react."

Comment

If i said what I think of Evra's part in thewhole affair then I would probably be viewed as rascist.

Sir Alex trained him well is all I'm going to say for now.

I like what Glen said.
          Life is good

Comment

Evra's hand does not appear to be "way down there by [his] side" here

Leaders of the black community in Liverpool think that the club's response to the affair is seriously lacking. see here and here

Comment

Originally posted by Piquet View Post
              That's all very well but it's a competitive fixture in name only. Would they not have been better off showing the APOEL game live and showing highlights of the Barca match?
              I agree its disappointing but not surprising.

The RTE soccer panels knowledge of anything that happens outside of England is no greater than what a 12 year old may know. They have some basic knowledge about the top teams that they've pieced together from when they were in opposition to English clubs or from individuals in international tournaments and thats about it. This is the same rabble who felt it necessary to link Leverkusen to the viewers with a Tottenham loanee who wasn't playing that night, themselves a CL finalist in the previous decade.

They'd feel comfortable spouting the same lines thats been said for 6 years on Messi/Xavi/Iniesta/Alves/Fabregas etc to keep their "analysis" ticking over. They wouldn't have the slightest clue what to say about the Apoel or even the Lyon side and would have to do some actual research on them, which would never happen.
              Not that the English broadcasters would be any less ignorant or anything but I don't know why our national broadcaster has to share their narrow mindedness.

Comment

Evra's hand does not appear to be "way down there by [his] side" here
                http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg513...jpg&res=medium

Seems pretty clear to me who was making the most effort there. Evra's a disgusting person and its laughable how happy the british media are to row in behind him, he's been a vindictive hot head all his career so its not as if he doesn't have form at this kind of thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Dowlinz View Post

Evra's ....... been a vindictive hot head all his career so its not as if he doesn't have form at this kind of thing.
                  Evidence, please.

Comment

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2...wsstory.sport4
                    http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage...all-brawl.html
                    http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news...cle480541.html

Just a few minutes after taking the field fitness coach Robert Duverne reportedly stormed away from an argument with captain Patrice Evra, throwing his accreditation badge to the ground.
                    Evra was then dropped for Frances final world cup game so presumably he was being held accountable for this confrontation.

A police investigation has been launched after deaf football fans complained they had lip-read Liverpool's Steve Finnan making a racist remark towards Patrice Evra of Manchester United.
                    A claim Evra refused to dispute.

He was seen aiming a punch at French defender Evra, 26, in the scuffle between Chelsea staff and United players on Saturday. It was claimed last night Evra was called "a f***ing immigrant" during the clash.
                    Senior United players will this week tell the FA that Evra was racially abused.
                    Bethell's dad Chris, 52, last night said his son "never hit" Evra or sparked the brawl. He said: "He just stood there defending himself."

He's either the most victimised person in sport or someone with a personality who actively seeks trouble, I'll let you decide.

Comment

To be honest, neither are completely innocent, both Evra and Suarez are clowns in my opinion, and liverpool were silly to go out with the whole wearing of the support suarez tshirts.

Comment

"A police investigation has been launched after deaf football fans complained they had lip-read Liverpool's Steve Finnan making a racist remark towards Patrice Evra of Manchester United."

If what you say is true, then why does the fifth paragraph of the article in your source state: "Evra, however, was unaware of any racist taunts." ?

Comment

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2...wsstory.sport4
                          http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage...all-brawl.html
                          http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news...cle480541.html

Evra was then dropped for Frances final world cup game so presumably he was being held accountable for this confrontation.

He's either the most victimised person in sport or someone with a personality who actively seeks trouble, I'll let you decide.
                          Suarez was banned for biting a player in Dutch league... nothing but a tramp...
                          "Hell, I'm not saying I'm an angel, but when it came to dirty tricks I couldn't hold a candle to the Irish Mafia" Jimmy Hoffa

Comment

Other news today.... (www.bbc.co.uk/sport)
                            Arsenal have agreed a deal to sign Germany striker Lukas Podolski from Cologne, BBC Sport understands.
                            Reports suggest the Gunners will pay £10.9m for the 26-year-old on a four-year contract worth £100,000 a week.

Comment

If what you say is true, then why does the fifth paragraph of the article in your source state: "Evra, however, was unaware of any racist taunts." ?
                              Well consider the commonality between all the stories. Evra is no stranger to public conflicts with other players or coaching staff.

There are 3 separate racial allegations involving him in recent years, you either believe that its pure coincidence one player happens to be the innocent victim of a large portion of the leagues total allegations in the past 5 years or that Evra is such an abrasive figure he continuously draws this kind of reaction out of people around him.
                              The handshake incident and his zealous celebrating in front of Suarez made me believe he incites it and probably welcomes anything he can use against someone who'd be detestable enough to say something like that to him. Suarez is a scumbag, no doubt but he's not alone on that count. Evra is just smarter about it.

Comment

In the first case, someone alleged that a comment was made. A comment of which Evra was unaware.
                                In the second case he has a row with someone and someone else said there was a racial insult. Evra never said there was.
                                In the third case, he was found by an independent board of inquiry to have been racially abused.

I'd say that there are very few, if any, black players who have not been the object of racial abuse on multiple occasions some to their face most not.

Having said that,while I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt on the handshake incident, he was way out of order with his goading of Suarez at full time. IMHO at the very least, he should have got the "Hairdryer" treatment from Sir Alex (and who knows, maybe he did and it was kept "in house") Indeed, it could be argued the local Plod should have had a word, quiet or otherwise, with him, warning him as to his future behaviour.

Comment

Working...
                                X