• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mad Dermot Ahern talks through his arse

<DIV ="leftColumn">
    <H2>Sport</H2></DIV>
    <DIV ="rightColumn">
    <DIV id=TopSp&#111;nsorship ="ad"><!- /page title & date navigati&#111;n -></DIV></DIV>
    <DIV ="article">
    <DIV ="rightColumnFloat">
    <DIV ="images">
    <DIV ="leadPhoto showLeadPhoto">

<DIV ="phot&#111;nav">Dermot Ahern has called for an all-Ireland soccer team @@@@SPAN ="attributi&#111;n">@@@@/SPAN></DIV></DIV></DIV></DIV>
    Saturday, January 20, 2007
    By Stuart McKinley
    <DIV ="deck">

Irish Foreign Affairs Minister Dermot Ahern last night made the grave error of mixing sport with politics when he called for the football associations in Northern Ireland and the Republic to join together. </DIV>

Mr Ahern's comments at the Soccer Writers Association of Ireland annual dinner in Dundalk are unlikely to find favour among those who run the game on either side of the border.

And the opinions of a politician won't go down well with fans of the Northern Ireland and Republic of Ireland teams either as a joining together of the associations would mean a single international football team competing in European and World Cup qualifying series.

Over the last two season's the Setanta Cup has grown into a highly prestigious competition played between the top four sides on either side of the border and as revealed by the Belfast Telegraph back in October last year, UEFA are encouraging the FAI and IFA to launch a joint bid to host the 2011 European under-21 Championships.

Ahern believes with those initiatives taking place it makes sense for one body to govern football, in the same way as some other sports in Ireland, but he hasn't thought about how that it be viewed by UEFA and FIFA.

The Minister said: "Sportsmen North and South enjoy close friendships and co-operation. "The decision to establish the FAI in 1921 and its split from the IFA which was founded in 1880 was one made at a time of immense turmoil, but it is a totally different Ireland to today. Eighty six years later, we enjoy a dramatically changed Ireland.

"I believe the time is now right for both football organisations to sit down together for serious discussions on the basis that together they can achieve so much more than remaining apart. When they balance the pros and cons of having one all-island football organisation, the ledger will, I believe, come down heavily on a harmonious coming together of two noble Irish football traditions and organisations."

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sp...cle2169446.ece

</DIV>
    New infraction avoidance policy: a post may be described as imbecilic, but its author should never be described as an imbecile.

whats wrong with what he said? workd for the rugby team doesnt it? as well as a host of other sports.it would be better for the team,it would be better financially for the clubs,i mean the biggest team in the north already plays in the eircom league.many young northern nationalists are already declaring for the republic

as it stands i wouldnt see many many from the north making the irish team,although young evans looks good,and healy is well able to bang in goals.
    g\'wan bruff!!

``The answer is not heavy- handed regulations that crush the entrepreneurial spirit and risk- taking of American capitalism. That\'s what\'s made our economy great.\"
    -Barack Obama

\"The first lesson of economics is scarcity: There is never enough of anything to satisfy all those who want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics\"
    -thomas sowell

Comment

Originally posted by bruffian

whats wrong with what he said? workd for the rugby team doesnt it? @@@@SPAN style="font-weight: bold;">as well as a host of other sports.@@@@/SPAN>
      isn't it every other sport, i.e. soccer is the only sport with NI and ROI teams?

Comment

Originally posted by beir bua
        Originally posted by bruffian

whats wrong with what he said? workd for the rugby team doesnt it? @@@@SPAN style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold">as well as a host of other sports.@@@@/SPAN>

isn't it every other sport, i.e. soccer is the only sport with NI and ROI teams?

i was sure it was most of the other sports,just was 100% sure it was just soccer that was segregated,so i erred on the safe side
        g\'wan bruff!!

``The answer is not heavy- handed regulations that crush the entrepreneurial spirit and risk- taking of American capitalism. That\'s what\'s made our economy great.\"
        -Barack Obama

\"The first lesson of economics is scarcity: There is never enough of anything to satisfy all those who want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics\"
        -thomas sowell

Comment

Working...
        X