brian carney

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

brian carney

brian carney has quit rugby league, the interview with him on tv the other night he seemed very downbeat, is there any rumours he's going playing union or going back to uk rugby league, apparently the story goes he couldnt agree on money with the irfu before

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=629><T>
    <T>
    <TR>
    <TD colSpan=3>
    <DIV ="mxb">
    <DIV ="sh">Carney announces shock retirement </DIV></DIV></TD></TR>
    <TR>
    <TD vAlign=top width=416><!- S BO -><!- S IIMA ->
    <TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=203 align=right><T>
    <T>
    <TR>
    <TD>
    <DIV>
    <DIV ="cap">Carney had a superb season with the Knights last year</DIV></DIV></TD></TR></T></T></TABLE><!- E IIMA -><!- S SF ->Great Britain international Brian Carney has retired from all levels of rugby league with immediate effect.

The 30-year-old winger, who left Wigan for Newcastle Knights in 2006, only started training with his new club Gold Coast Titans on Monday.

But Carney says he wants to spend more time with his family and return home to complete his university studies.

Carney has requested the Titans hold back his release so that he will be unable to play for any other club. <!- E SF ->

<!- S I ->
    <TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=208 align=right><T>
    <T>
    <TR>
    <TD width=5></TD>
    <TD ="sibStdQuote">
    <DIV>
    <DIV ="mva">
    <DIV id=q1></DIV>Now it is time for me to make a decision that is in the interests of my family
    <DIV id=q2></DIV><BR clear=all></DIV></DIV>
    <DIV ="mva">
    <DIV ="mva">Brian Carney</DIV></DIV></TD></TR></T></T></TABLE><!- E I ->

"I have made this decision with a heavy heart and it has been a difficult decision for me to make," he said.

"I want to return home so I can go back to the UK to finish my Masters and to reunite with my family.

"I couldn't act like a fraud by taking the club's money, I knew in my heart I couldn't see the year out.

"Continuing on would have been for all the wrong reasons and I have never played the game for money, it has been for the challenge and I know my mind is not up for this new challenge.

"I have told the Titans to hold back a contractual release to ensure that media speculation is not about me doing this to go back to Great Britain to play rugby league or rugby union.

"I have always made decisions for me and now it is time for me to make a decision that is in the interests of my family."

<!- S I ->
    <TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=208 align=right><T>
    <T>
    <TR>
    <TD width=5></TD>
    <TD ="sibStdQuote">
    <DIV>
    <DIV ="mva">
    <DIV id=q1></DIV>I would like to personally thank Brian for his integrity
    <DIV id=q2></DIV><BR clear=all></DIV></DIV>
    <DIV ="mva">
    <DIV ="mva">Titans managing director Michael Searle</DIV></DIV></TD></TR></T></T></TABLE><!- E I ->

The former Wigan star signed a deal with new Australian club Titans back in 2005 with the aim joining up with them for their first season in the NRL this year.

He was released early from his Wigan contract at the end of the 2005 Super League campaign and spent last year with the Knights - scoring 16 tries.

But after joining up with new team-mates at the start of the week, Carney announced that he would not see out his two-year deal.

"We totally support Brian in his decision to retire from professional football and support his decision to return home to commence his Masters study at University and to be with his family," said Titans managing director Michael Searle.

"I would like to personally thank Brian for his integrity and the manner in which he handled this, he had the fortitude to do this face to face and that strength of character is rare today.

"Only a footballer knows when it is time to retire and Brian has been struggling with this decision for some time and we wish him all the best in the future."</FO
    Always

Comment

Fair dues to the guy for following his heart but maybe he could do his masters in UL or UCC[img]smileys/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Strange, to say the least[img]smileys/c&#111;nfused.gif[/img]

Comment

Rumour has it the Cheika is very very interested.

Comment

i heard talks of a development contract with connacht.

Comment

He was the main reason I was going to follow League this year and was the main reason for my interest in it last year

Dissapointed to say the least. Nice touch to tell the club not to release him - and he didn't take his first two months pay either - papers have nothing but respect down here at the moment!

Comment

Top lad! He spoke for the majority of British rugby league supporters when he refused to sing that stupid bloody song. One of the worst aspects of any sport involving Engerland or the British Isles XIII is the spectacle of grown men belting out a song about some woman in London and how they hope she'll sponge of us in a happy and glorious fashion for a long time. All the best to the man.
                There are only two roads, victory for the working class, freedom, or victory for the fascists which means tyranny. Both combatants know what\'s in store for the loser.

Buenaventura Durruti

Comment

What were his words about it Ronnie
                  Always

Comment

Originally posted by banjaxed
                    What were his words about it Ronnie

Well, being the gentleman he is, he simply stood there with his head bowed while that one time Jacobite tune rang around the stadium and his mates roared their heads off as though their lives depended on it and the crowd yawned, made farting noises or changed the words so as they made more sense. Just before he left for Australia, I met him and told him he was right not to sing it since most of us didn't. I gather he gets told this quite a bit when he meets supporters on his travels. He's a nice lad and spent quite a bit of time signing kids autograph books and having his photograph taken with admiring females.
                    There are only two roads, victory for the working class, freedom, or victory for the fascists which means tyranny. Both combatants know what\'s in store for the loser.

Buenaventura Durruti

Comment

Footy Show sketch[img]smileys/lol.gif[/img]

Comment

I heard a rumour that a few of the irish provinces are interested in him. Not sure if Munster are included in that.

Comment

Originally posted by Munster Mad
                          I heard a rumour that a few of the irish provinces are interested in him. Not sure if Munster are included in that.

Non-runner

Comment

Bump

Comment

He is probably just basing himself in Ireland in union so that when ( if) Dublin ever get a franchise for the bristish super league he'll be in Ireland with his education finished and ready to take charge
                              Always

Comment

Working...
                              X