Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Arrest’s over Racist Chanting .

<H1>Two arrested over Mido chanting </H1>
    Two men have been arrested over racist chanting aimed at Middlesbrough's Egyptian striker Mido during the 0-0 draw against Newcastle on 29 November.

The pair, aged 49 and 23, are due to appear before Teesside Magistrates Court on Tuesday.

A Football Association spokesman said: "The FA condemns any racist or Islamaphobic behaviour and is committed to working to stamp it out.

"We will fully support banning orders for anyone found guilty." <!- E SF ->

Mido, 25, suffered similar abuse during the corresponding fixture at the Riverside last season but no action was taken because police were unable to identify the culprits.

"It happened again because after the first time the English FA did nothing," Mido told Egyptian TV station Al Hayat.

A Middlesbrough spokesman said: "Middlesbrough FC has a very strong anti-racism stance.

"The club adopts a zero-tolerance attitude towards racism and, working with the police, we will not hesitate to ban supporters identified as directing racial abuse against players or other fans, as we have in the past.

"Middlesbrough Police have confirmed that two individuals were arrested at the game for racial chanting and have been given a court date."

Middlesbrough manager Gareth Southgate does not believe Newcastle should be punished for the incident.

"We have to rise above it. If people want to shout those things it's a reflection on them," said Southgate.

"There's a danger that we go on a witch-hunt. What do you do? Punish the club?

"They can't do anything about their travelling fans. It's an individual decision to sing what they want.

"I don't think that's fair. How can a club the size of Newcastle control individuals?

"It's a sensitive one and I understand the importance but I don't want to put the pressure on an excellent club like Newcastle."

A spokesman for Newcastle added: "The club does not condone any sort of offensive chanting."

Piara Powar, director of anti-racism campaign Kick It Out, believes the authorities should be able to identify the culprits via closed-circuit television footage and has called on football supporters to help "self-police" any racist incidents on the terraces.

"The police are now saying they are going to put in extra monitoring for the next game, but by then it will be too late," he said.

"What we need is for the police to go over the CCTV footage and do what they can, in similar way which they are in Hampshire concerning the recent incident with the Tottenham fans at Portsmouth.

"The key change we do have in English football now is there is self-policing, peer pressure which supporters who understand the implications can put on fans who are involved in abuse.

"We would urge Newcastle fans to start rooting out themselves the individuals who were involved."<!- E BO ->

About time.
    Munster – Champions of Europe 2006, 2008, 2020.

Comment

Political correctness gone mad.
      "We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

"Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy

"I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

Comment

Originally posted by Balla Boy

[img]smileys/shock.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by Balla Boy

[img]smileys/lol.gif[/img]

I agree. Rather than forcing them to stop racist chants, they should be
          encouraging them to chant about everyone. Equal opportunity chants,
          with no discrimination, that's what I say!
          Munster - Incessant Perfervidity
          "Ireland Will Choke" - Jeremy Guscott

Comment

I'm just happy that something at last is beginning to be done with these idiots.

Comment

Reminded me of this incident in our own fair land during the summer. Anyone from that part of the world know if there was any action taken against anyone?
              The early bird catches the worm but it's the second mouse that gets the cheese.

Comment

Absolute disgrace AG.
                "This was the performance Ireland had been threatening all championship but had only managed to produce in fits and starts. Defeats at the hands of France and Wales had put paid to their title aspirations, never mind a Grand Slam, but yesterday’s emphatic 24-8 win shows that this is a team moving in the right direction."

The Irish Times after Ireland beat England at Lansdowne Road on 19/03/11

Comment

Originally posted by Patman
                  Absolute disgrace AG.

Astounding. A guy I coach minis with sends parents from the line regularly, and stops matches if the coaches are screaming at the kids too vociferously.

Some people get twisted watching twleve year olds. It's frightening.
                  "We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

"Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy

"I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

Comment

Imagine if Jim Williams had been subjected to that kind of carry on at a GP ground.

Fisticuffs would have ensued, you can be sure.

Munster – Champions of Europe 2006, 2008, 2020.

Comment

Jason Sherlock got years of abuse whuilst playing with theDubs; very little (nothing?) was ever done about it.
                      Please support Milford Hospice. Click here to donate.

Comment

I know I risk dragging this thread off on a tangent, but are people upset
                        by abuse from the terraces, or just racist abuse?
                        Munster - Incessant Perfervidity
                        "Ireland Will Choke" - Jeremy Guscott

Comment

The racial stuff bothers me Who. From the league of Ireland to the Premiership where I have watched games both here and in England, seeing that sort of stuff really gets on my nerves.Watching them get away with it makes the whole thing worse.

I remember seeing Mark Rutherford when he played for Shelbournegetting racially abused at a few football grounds whenever he got the balland also a few times I could hear it on the Tv , it has no place in society. There were children in close proximity when this was going on,which makes it worse.

Its about time this sort of crap was dealt with properly so seeing a couple of fans being identified and arrested gives me a bit of hope to be honest.

Comment

Originally posted by who?
                            I know I risk dragging this thread off on a tangent, but are people upset
                            by abuse from the terraces, or just racist abuse?

I think it's a particular type of abuse, to be honest. Whether it's about race, or about someone's wife, or the lovely Everton fan who chanted "You'll never beat leukaemia" at Gary Lineker when his son was sick there has to be a line.

Calling someone a twat and a bollix is one thing, I think. But when that abuse is personal, deep seated and hate filledI start to think "this has no place on a terrace - or anywhere else".

It'sa hard line to draw, but racist abuse is just a common form ofa particular type of venom. I'm groping for a meaningful distinction, though.

Comment

Despise racial or venomous abuse a la the Lineker one above.

But I do remember giving Mr T. Brennan plenty of grief from the sideline on one of his visits to MP - fortunately (considering later events) - he chose to overlook my comments (or more likely they were drowned by the rest of the crowd doing much the same). TBH they were no bad and he good a good cheer from the Munster crowd when he was subbed during the match

"I've got lots of potatos that need peeling and manure that needs shovelling" -M. Burns :_skull__rvmp_by_bad

Comment

Working...
                              X