X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jackman Park

Does anyone know the capacity for Jackman Park, and are there plans
    to knock the old stand there? I've heard plans for a redevelopment to
    bring it to an 8,000 capacity, but not sure how reliable they are?

Also, used Cresent play games there?
    It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into.

Every plan I have is the best plan in the room. Everybody get quiet and listen to it, and everybody will win

Back in the early 1970's I played arugby match against Crescent on a pitch right beside Limerick railway and bus stations. Could that have beenJackman Park?

(Note to 2 MF regulars - Dermot Murray SJwas our coach that afternoon!)
    New infraction avoidance policy: a post may be described as imbecilic, but its author should never be described as an imbecile.

Comment

I think so, though it was called Priory Park back then, unless my
      sources are confusing me. Where's Laz when you need him?
      It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into.

Every plan I have is the best plan in the room. Everybody get quiet and listen to it, and everybody will win

Comment

Correct, it would have been called Priory Pk, and Old Crescent would have used it back then.

Comment

I peered over the wall from Limerick bus station a few weeks ago and thought that it has great potential for a nice little stadium, especially if it had access to a stand/terracing from the station side.

Comment

Cheers Laz, who owns it?

GO'C, like I said there seem to be some plans afoot to knock the old
            stand and redevelop the ground, also heard the row of 3 storey
            terraced are due to knocked, might have been all kite-flying.

Comment

LDMC own it, and the main thing is: I've played 2 and won 2 on it[img]smileys/cool.gif[/img]

Comment

Would love to see the place properly developed but can you fit all that much on the site? As I remember there is a good bit of space behind each goal end but you would need new access/exit points as you only have that narrow lane at the moment.

BTW any remember when West Ham and Liam Brady played there? I think it was around 1989 for the 'opening' of the floodlights there

Comment

I remember it was really foggy that night and you could barely see the pitch.

BTW I thought the glare was coming from Liam Brady's burgeoning bald patch...

Comment

its currently pretty run down...well not so much run down as there simply isnt much to it.a run down small stand and thats it.rathbane was probably in better shape. cant see where limerick will get the money to develop it. they average at crowds of 100 maybe 200,not a whole lot of cash going around
                    g\'wan bruff!!

``The answer is not heavy- handed regulations that crush the entrepreneurial spirit and risk- taking of American capitalism. That\'s what\'s made our economy great.\"
                    -Barack Obama

\"The first lesson of economics is scarcity: There is never enough of anything to satisfy all those who want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics\"
                    -thomas sowell

Comment

Limerick 37 it is[img]smileys/confused.gif[/img]

Comment

feic all room dare except behind the goals. Is this where Limerick 37 are proposing to play?gud memories of the place one cup final one win!!!!

Comment

I played there a few times and it had the worst surface of anything I ever played on, and that includes soccer, rugby and gaelic matches!

Comment

Playedthere a few times when the pitch was like a roller coaster, levelled out since by the looks of it.

I remember it when it was Priory Park, pretty run down and owned by Crescent College before they moved to the Comprehensive. They used it for Munster Schools games and Sports Days, etc.. ThinkOC would have played there too, before moving to Rathbane, but of that I'm not sure.

Remember Celtic playing there and of course that West Ham farce in the fog, Jesus, they made so much fuss about the floodlights I thought they were going to land planes there. Most of the rugby clubs in town had better feckin' lights, but so what.

Anyway the news that FreeTheLimerick37 have just been awarded a LOI licence has come to hand so I'd expect the place will get a makeover if the LDMC are behind this team.

Expect a few developments to take place in the near future, much of the area at that side of Colbert Station is due for works and Jackman Park is earmarked for refurbishment. Some of those 3 storey houses at the Hyde Rd. side are supposed to go to allow Buses to stream out of the Station - this will take in some of that huge space behind the goal (and the LDMC can expect top buck for that slice of JP). A new stand at the Railway embankment side and proper a Main entrance from somewhere nearer the Station End is being talked about. For extra bums on seats there is also a huge housing/warehousing development going to take in the old Guinness Depot, CIE Club, the Rail Cargo yards and part of -if not all of -Cals. Park (which has become a dump and hideout for skangers anyway).

I would imagine whatever they finish up with in Jackman Park would have a tidy enough capacity, maybe 5000. In the event that the wheel turns around and FreeTheLimerick37 bring back the good times, I'm sure that any future European HyperLeaguere-match against Real Madrid will be accommodated in Thomond Park.....unless the local GAA would by then be bidding for extra gates from any source to fill Pairc McManus.[img]smileys/lol.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                            X