Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wimbledon

Anyone else watching?

This year has been great, with very few rain delays and some big upsets (particularly in the ladies singles). Today featured two excellent 5 set mens sinles matches, the first featuring a marathon 24 game 5th set (With Ancic beating Verdasco) while this evening's comeback by scotsman Andy Murray featured some of the best tennis of the tournament. (The tiebreak in the 3rd set being a particular highlight, what a shot to win the set!!!!!!).

I have to say i'm looking forward to the ladies quarter finals tomorrow, because aside from the foregone conclusions that are the Williams sisters matches, the other 2 are wide open. I'll be hoping Vaidisova and Dementieva can keep the eye candy quotient somewhat alive and that the Polish girl can upset Serena (although after a tough 3 seter today she mightn't have it in her).

As for thursday, despite his heroics this evening, i reckon Murray's race is run, against Federer i'd give him a chance, but not against Nadal. As for Federer, Ancic might pose a problem early on but i doubt it. It will be up to the on fire (but temperamental) Safin to stop the swiss man reaching another final in Wimbledon.
    I think we'll see a Nadal vs Federer Final on sunday and that the the ladies day on saturday will have at least one Williams sister (and hopefully one of Vaidisova or Dementieva-although my dream final from an eyecandy perspective is a Dementieva vs Vaidisova one!!![img]smileys/biggrin.gif[/img])

Those of you without BBC can watch the games live on TG4 from 1pm with highlights also shown each morning and evening.[img]smileys/wink.gif[/img]

“People are broad-minded. They'll accept the fact that a person can be an alcoholic, a dope fiend, a wife beater and even a newspaperman, but if a man doesn't drive, there's something wrong with him.” - Art Buchwald

Ignoring the eye candy stuff! Tonight's game between Murray and Gasquet was absolutely brilliant. Some amazing shots played. Murray's comeback was great and the crowd were going mental!

Don't think he can beat Nadal though. Want Nadal to win the whole tournament. (Spain's year??!)

PS Eye candy gone for me since Pat Cash and Mark Philipoussis retired....
    Free Palestine.

Champions aren\'t made in the gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them - a desire, a dream, a vision.
    Muhammad Ali

Comment

Two great 5 setters today alright JL, Ancic and especially Murray were class. Murray will take a hammering off Nadal though. Unforunately all the other blokes are only playing for second place due to the existence of Roger Federer, who today played tennis on grass and therefore won. It's a common theme with him. Although Ancic was the last man to beat him on grass, in about 1927 I think, so that might even come within shouting distance of four sets.

As for the women's, well Maria's gone so I suppose I'll go for Vaidisova cause, eh, tennis and stuff....

"It’s not the team you support, it’s the club you should support. The team on the pitch will ebb and flow because that’s the nature of sport. No team has ever been successful decade on decade. The club has the history and that’s the passion you should have."

Comment

'Stuff' looking pretty good there Jenta!
        Free Palestine.

Champions aren\'t made in the gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them - a desire, a dream, a vision.
        Muhammad Ali

Comment

Yup, women's tennis has really come a long way since the commies took an interest. As such I think we can look on Anna Kournikova in a more metaphysical way, she wasn't a tennis player, she was genesis.
          "It’s not the team you support, it’s the club you should support. The team on the pitch will ebb and flow because that’s the nature of sport. No team has ever been successful decade on decade. The club has the history and that’s the passion you should have."

Comment

Originally posted by Jenta
            Yup, women's tennis has really come a long way since the commies took an interest. As such I think we can look on Anna Kournikova in a more metaphysical way, she wasn't a tennis player, she was genesis.

Best philosophical analysis I've read about Anna K!
            Free Palestine.

Muhammad Ali

Comment

Jenta, i think Sharapova is overrated from an aesthetic perspective (her tennis is pretty good more often than not!!). Compared with Vaidisova and Ivanovic she's plain. Also i have to say that in the legs dept Ivanovic has undoubtedly the sexiest legs i have ever seen, bar none!

The big pity is that 2 nonentitys got drawn against each other in the mens quarter finals, while Murray and Nadal face off, Murray and Nadal in the semi-finals would maybe make it less of a foregone conclusion as i think the nearer the prize you are the harder you fight for it (and the more likely people like Nadal and Federer are to make mistakes!). As for Ancic taking a set from Federer, he could do it, and he can go the distance in a match as he showed today, but my money for an upset on that side of the draw is on Safin, he knows the big occassions and he has the game to do it, his win over Djokovic was particularly impressive.

“People are broad-minded. They'll accept the fact that a person can be an alcoholic, a dope fiend, a wife beater and even a newspaperman, but if a man doesn't drive, there's something wrong with him.” - Art Buchwald

Comment

I'm only going to overlook that scandalous reference to the glorious Maria as 'plain' due to your inclusion of Ana Ivanovic, she's class.

Couldn't see Crazy Marat taking a set off Federer, his head will go if he reaches the semi, Lopez might even get rid of him. All the talent in the world but no head for the tough games. I'd really love to see Rafa take it off Federer this year, you can see how much he wants it, but I just can't see past the inevitable. If I was to pick a posssible five setter from the quarters I'd go for Schuettler and Clement.

Comment

I don't know, Jenta. Nadal looks incredible this year. If his knees last the pace I can see him beating Rog in the final, even though I want the maestro to make it six in a row. Nadal is just so comfortable onboth sides, going forward, at the net and even his serve is a huge weapon nowadays.

Safin did beat Rog in the semis in Australia a few years ago 9-7 in the fifth after being a set down, and he looks like he's on it this year. It's not impossible, especially if he plays as well as he did against Djokovic last week. Rog the favourite, though, obviously.

For Murray to beat Rafa on Wednesday he'll need the crowd right behind him, to play even better than he did in the final three sets against Gasquet, Nadal to have an off day and for his knees to play up. Unlikely.

Oh, and on Ivanovic - I agree with you, JL, some legs she has on her. I found myself agreeing with Terry Wogan for once on that one!

Comment

I was at the Ancic/Verdasco match, absolutely brilliant tennis, it was impossible to call in the fifth set. I think that's it for Mario though, I'd be surprised if he had anything left for Federer. Murray too, I'd be staggered if he beat Rafa, who looks dangerously in control. I'd say Rafa thinks it's his year alright.

@@@@SPAN style="font-style: italic;">The big pity is that 2 nonentitys got drawn against each other in the mens quarter finals.@@@@/SPAN> I think that's harsh - I've seen Clement and Schuettler in the past and although they've not been prominent for a year or two, both are class players and it could be a great match. Half the fun of a grand slam is seeds falling and unexpected players going deep into the draw.

And don't write off Safin. If his head doesn't "go a little bit away" as he puts it, he can beat anyone on his day.

Hope Not Hate

Comment

The Murray match last night was great but he should not have won. Gasquet defintley lost it. Gasquet played some beautiful shots.

Murray needs to stop playing the drop shot, especially when he faces Nadal as he will eat it up.

I think Ancic will give Federer a tough match, but cant see Federer losing it. As for Safin he will make the semi's.

I predict a Federer Nadal final, with Nadal winning in 5 sets. This is nothing to do with me being in love with Nadal honestly. [img]smileys/lol.gif[/img]
                      "Why am I so rubbish at life?" Quote from a Saints fan in Shannon Airport 11/04/2010

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of the day...Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Beckinder

This is nothing to do with me being in love with Nadal honestly. [img]smileys/lol.gif[/img]

One of the funniest things yesterday was seeing Rafa walking through Wimbledon virtually on his own, completely unmolested and virtually unnoticed. The last few times I've seen him have been in Spain where he is constantly surrounded by a crowd; we joke that you can hear Rafa coming twenty minutes before he gets to you because of the noise - he must think he's gone deaf in Wimbledon.

Hope Not Hate

Comment

Originally posted by ~Cat~
                          Originally posted by Beckinder

This is nothing to do with me being in love with Nadal honestly. [img]smileys/lol.gif[/img]

One of the funniest things yesterday was seeing Rafa walking through Wimbledon virtually on his own, completely unmolested and virtually unnoticed. The last few times I've seen him have been in Spain where he is constantly surrounded by a crowd; we joke that you can hear Rafa coming twenty minutes before he gets to you because of the noise - he must think he's gone deaf in Wimbledon.

I would happily follow him around. I cant believe he doesnt get a crowd around him at wimbledon, he is such a talented player. I must get myself there next year , I wont harass him too much [img]smileys/lol.gif[/img]
                          "Why am I so rubbish at life?" Quote from a Saints fan in Shannon Airport 11/04/2010

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of the day...Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life :-)

Comment

What's the story with the draw? Murray, seeded 12, played Gasquet, seeded 8, yesterday. Surely in the round of the last 16, 1 plays 16, 2 plays 15, etc. meaning 12 plays 5 and 8 plays 9.

Murray now plays Nadal who's seeded 2. but having beaten the eighth seed, he should now play the top seed, Federer.

Comment

A far as im aware the draw is split and the even seed plays each other and the odd seeds play each other. Meaning in the semi 1 should face 3 and 2 should face 4, in the final 1 should play 2.

Please correct me if im wrong.

Comment

Working...
                              X