Is League of Ireland soccer....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is League of Ireland soccer....

.... an academy? All decent Eircom league players are going to the SPL or to England. Whats the point of League of Ireland going professional then? Are they fooling themselves? With the premiership on Tellie, the bad weather, the standard of play, ignorant fans andsoccer isn't exactly the most exciting of games to watch it's a wonder anybody turns up.

The positive thing is that with soccer going badits good news for Rugby because after all, they are competing with each otherfor numbers.

The more professional they are the better the overall standard of football and also the better quality of footballer they sell, which should lead to a higher transfer fee, QED[img]smileys/cool.gif[/img]

Comment

I dunno, why anyone would support a team outside Ireland is beyond
      me. I've just watched Man Utd v. Reading and if this the best team in
      England playing I don't see the attraction.
      It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into.

Every plan I have is the best plan in the room. Everybody get quiet and listen to it, and everybody will win

Comment

It was an off day for United Joey, and besides, you're hardly the biggest footy fan in the world are you?

Regardless of whether the players are paid or not, the eircom league will always remain a feeder league for the lower reaches of the English leagues. Ireland does not have the playing or supporting numbers to compete with England. Remember, Football in England is the number one sport in a country of 55 million, It's 3rd or 4th in Ireland, a countryof 4 and a half million.
        "It’s not the team you support, it’s the club you should support. The team on the pitch will ebb and flow because that’s the nature of sport. No team has ever been successful decade on decade. The club has the history and that’s the passion you should have."

Comment

the eircom league has improved a lot in the last decade or so,and long may it continue.if people are for whatever reason going to watch soccer,it would be nice to see them supporting irish clubs,rather than "english" clubs,i say "english" since most of the top teams are managed by non-english people(ferguson,wenger,mourinho,benitez)and their players are by and large not english,and the big teams are now not even owned by english people(man u,chelsea etc).they're basically franchises which happen to be situated in england
          g\'wan bruff!!

``The answer is not heavy- handed regulations that crush the entrepreneurial spirit and risk- taking of American capitalism. That\'s what\'s made our economy great.\"
          -Barack Obama

\"The first lesson of economics is scarcity: There is never enough of anything to satisfy all those who want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics\"
          -thomas sowell

Comment

I like to see a good game of soccer as much as the next guy, but most
            of the premiership games are awful, and I can't understand why people
            would bother inventing a link to a team several hundred miles away just
            to say they follow them.
            It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into.

Every plan I have is the best plan in the room. Everybody get quiet and listen to it, and everybody will win

Comment

Originally posted by JoeyFantastic
              I like to see a good game of soccer as much as the next guy, but most

of the premiership games are awful, and I can't understand why people

would bother inventing a link to a team several hundred miles away just

to say they follow them.
              Something to talk about by the watercooler at work perhaps? "We" beat "you" at the weekend etc. etc.
              Grandpa Simpson: The last time the meteors came, we thought the sky was on fire. Naturally, we blamed the Irish. We hanged more \'n a few.

Comment

Originally posted by Chief
                Originally posted by JoeyFantastic
                I like to see a good game of soccer as much
                as the next guy, but most
                of the premiership games are awful, and I can't understand why
                people
                would bother inventing a link to a team several hundred miles away
                just
                to say they follow them.
                Something to talk about by the
                watercooler at work perhaps? "We" beat "you" at the weekend etc.
                etc.
                I, too, keep abrest of the results so I'm not stuck for conversation
                Chief, but how do people manage to invent a passionate link? I
                mean, a few weeks ago one of the top guys at Celtic admitted signing
                Keane was done to squeeze money of of their Irish based fans and
                yet people still give them more money (and if the premiership
                football is poor, the SPL is risible).

Comment

english @@@@SPAN style="font-style: italic;">premiership@@@@/SPAN> soccer is almost a cancer in english society-its made up largely of cheats and liars earning up to 200,000 sterling a week, most of the players are not english (nevermind irish) and have no connection, affiliation or passion for the area (town/city) that they apparently represent. The game is massively overhyped, (by amongst others our friends at sky), and often carries with it unsavoury factors such as violence and racism.It is a matter of time before it implodes.

I did a pub crawl in Cork recently and in EVERY pub they were watching SKY tv which was showing a Chelsea soccer game of minor importance-even in an irish trad pub that point had recommended to me. In the munster rugby store today, (and NO they didnt have a €90 padded munster jacket-they had "run out"), guess what was on the radio in the store-re-runs of the HEC final? maybe a screen showing famous munster victories or tries? coverage from thomond? nope the liverpool game on the radio-same in elverys and gleesons had a telly showing soccer and i noticed they were sold out of jackets too.

they all had plenty of liverpool man u and *mansfield shirts though

*apparently mansfield are gonna be the new chelsea according to stuart barnes and laurence llewellyn bowen and what better eejits to sell english shirts too than the irish?

If the lessons of history teach us anything it is that nobody learns the lessons that history teaches us.

Comment

Munsterforever, if you're goingsuccessfully tosettle into what is evidently a culture and an outlook drastically at odds to that which you possess, may I suggest that you quickly learn to tolerate other peoples' right to be different - including the right to watch whatever sports they wish to and support whatever clubs they may wish to.

You may previously have been able to rant and rave aboutEnglish customs and modalities and risk only a tolerant pat on the head from your English hosts, but if you seek to impose your ludicrous beliefs re. sporting purityon your Irish hosts, then mark my words, you'll get your come-uppance pretty damn soon.
                    New infraction avoidance policy: a post may be described as imbecilic, but its author should never be described as an imbecile.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Dog

Munsterforever, if you're goingsuccessfully tosettle into what is evidently a culture and an outlook drastically at odds with that which you possess, may I suggest that you quickly learn to tolerate other peoples' right to be different - including the right to watch whatever sports they wish to and support whatever clubs they may wish to.

You may previously have been able to rant and rave aboutEnglish customs and modalities and risk only a tolerant pat on the head from your English hosts, but if you seek to impose your ludicrous beliefs re. sporting purityon your Irish hosts, then mark my words, you'll get your come-uppance pretty damn soon.

and what part of my post did the pot take exception to?

If the lessons of history teach us anything it is that nobody learns the lessons that history teaches us.

Comment

OK, I'll make it more simple for you - when in Rome, do as the Romans do. If you can't work that one out, then try Googling it.

New infraction avoidance policy: a post may be described as imbecilic, but its author should never be described as an imbecile.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Dog

OK, I'll make it more simple for you - when in Rome, do as the Romans do. If you can't work that one out, then try Googling it.

Don't get me started on Serie A!
                          Grandpa Simpson: The last time the meteors came, we thought the sky was on fire. Naturally, we blamed the Irish. We hanged more \'n a few.

Comment

Originally posted by The Dave
                            The more professional they are the better the overall standard of football and also the better quality of footballer they sell, which should lead to a higher transfer fee, QED[img]smileys/cool.gif[/img]

Hopefully we are moving towards an eventual All-Ireland soccer league.

Comment

Looks like the league should never have gone pro,Cork City,Cobh,Galway,Drogs all in financial trouble of some sort,Boh's possibly following suit.

</span><div ="storyer">
                              <h1>Drogheda admit to 'grave situation'</h1>
                              Monday, 1 December 2008 16:19</span>
                              </div>

Drogheda
                              United have admitted that the club are in deep trouble and the board of
                              directors have called a public meeting for Wednesday evening.

A statement from the club has revealed that the meeting is 'to outline the grave situation the club currently finds itself in'.

The meeting takes place on Wednesday evening at 8.30pm in the Drogheda Institute of Further Education.<div id="story_island"> </div>

Club chairman Vincent Hoey has called on all supporters to attend,
                              to discuss the trouble facing the club, and what needs to be done to
                              save the club from extinction.

Hoey said: 'This club has faced some tough times over the years, but
                              this is by far the worst situation we have found ourselves in.
                              'We're in discussions with a number of investors, but negotiations
                              are slow. I dread to think what may happen, should we fail to secure
                              any further investment.'

Comment

Working...
                              X