• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Must be a Cork thing....

@@@@SPAN ="articledate">07 March 2008 @@@@/SPAN>

@@@@SPAN ="articleline">Rebel kids out of showpiece games@@@@/SPAN>

@@@@SPAN ="author">By Michael Moynihan @@@@/SPAN>
    @@@@SPAN ="articlesummary">THE CORK hurlers and footballers aren’t the only teams on Leeside to withdraw their services this year. @@@@/SPAN>

@@@@SPAN ="article">
    The top Rebel sides have now been followed into inaction by the county’s 12-year-olds!

There will be no primary school team representing Leeside in the traditional half-time games at big matches in the Munster senior championship this summer.

A decision taken during the week by the board of Sciath na Scoil Corcaigh, the body which organises primary school-level GAA activity in the county, has led to the withdrawal of the county’s primary school players from the showcase games.

The decision was taken as a result of Croke Park doing away with the traditional 15 v 15 format during the mini-games at half-time in favour of having two separate games with four teams of seven players each.

In doing so the GAA is following a general trend among other field sports to have small-sided games in order to maximise participation; this is regarded as best practice in building skill levels among primary schoolchildren.

Sciath na Scoil in Cork disagrees with the new proposal on the grounds that the games are showcase occasions rather than developmental training sessions, with the games designed to give children a taste of the big sporting occasion rather than concentrating on improving specific skills.

The new approach has been approved by the Sciath na Scoil at national and provincial level, and by the other five Munster counties, but Cork have decided not to participate. Last year the Cork County Board took up the slack, organising primary school teams but the board will not be doing so this year.

Cork County Board coaching officer Des Cullinane commented on the issue yesterday in terms that will be familiar to GAA fans in the county from recent events: “It would be terrible if we didn’t have Cork teams playing before the Munster championship games this year. I just learned of the decision and hope even at this stage that we can reach some agreement. My door is always open”.@@@@/SPAN>
    Anybody who sees a psychiatrist would want their head examined. &nb sp;Henry Ford

Got to start them young these days so they know what to do later on in life!![img]smileys/biggrin.gif[/img]
    Failure lies not in falling down, Failure lies in not getting up.

If voting could really change things it would be illegal.

Comment

What a fantastic lesson to give kids these days...as if things weren't bad enough for them. If you don't get what you want, just jump up and down and throw your toys out of the pram, kick and scream and eventually you'll get what you want.

Well done!!
      You couldn\'t make it up!

Comment

the situation is getting ridiculous at this stage, it's obvious Cork should declare independence and just do our own thing, we'd be a lot better off economically and we'd defo get to the Rugby and Soccer World Cups and Euro Championships all the time. For the All Ireland the county that gets to the final should just play Cork every year. It seems the country would be pleased we'd do it anyway so it's a no brainer.
        Frank the Tank is not coming back. OK? That part of me is over, water under the bridge.

Comment

Originally posted by Harry
          For the All Ireland the county that gets to the final should just play Cork every year. It seems the country would be pleased we'd do it anyway so it's a no brainer.

That's a great idea, Harry just like old times, you'd have two All Ireland finals the "home" final and the real final.

Would it be the same for the football?

Comment

It sounds fair enough. Anyone who played u12 rugby must remember that what it was like playing from touchline to touchline in the 22. All anyone wanted was to play the game on the full pitch, no matter how crap we were. Surely the idea is to give them an experience, saying this is what you could some day achieve if you stick with sports, and don't start drinking and smoking.
            I know something that will blow your minds. I can't tell you and I can't tell you why I can't tell you. You'll know soon and then I'll be confirmed right.

Comment

Full length at Croker or Thurles is to big for youngsters. They would always play on reduced pitches anyway, they are only 11 - 12yr olds.
              Anybody who sees a psychiatrist would want their head examined. &nb sp;Henry Ford

Comment

Working...
              X