Irish Drug cheat wins national Champs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BB,

We work within the regulations. Your argument doesn't stand up to the research, but there is some opinion that these guys should be banned for longer, even for life. This isn't Lombard's first race since he was allowed compete again (his time was up 18 months ago) and he has shown steady improvement to the point where a (shock to many people) win like Sunday's was on the cards. As I said the course (muddy)suited him. It didn't suit Cragg and many others (some of whom dropped out), the Leevale boys (couple of exceptions)were always good in the mud.

I'm not saying there is no merit in debating that we may need to look at changing the penalties imposed; I'm not going there right now though.

Arthur,

That individual (I'm not even going to name him)should be doing life (I mean behind bars)at a minimum (so should others). Personally, I'd go further, and the fact that he is now a free man is revolting in my eyes. I'm totally with Gary O'Toole and the other Irish international swimmers of the time who helped get him convicted.

As rgds your 2nd para - yes Back also cheated, but he didn't get caught; the rest is wide of the facts. Lombard was caught after being naieve in his drug-use (over a relatively short period); nevertheless he was caught and punished and kudos to the AAI, Customs and the agents of the Sports Council in closing that one out. OCI have no plans to send Lombard anywhere right now.

But if he does decide he wants to be an Olympian and does the times (unlikely I think), then they may have to make plans. But that talk is as idle & speculativeas what has been printed - i.e. it's without foundation right now.

Joey, Cathal Lombard was a pretty decent national class runner. He's won quite a few medals from underage to senior at national level. Sunday wasn't his first senior gold and if we're talking that level gold is as good as it gets. He wouldn't be classed as a great track runner but 13:19 and 28:05 (when he was known to be clean)are decent times by any standard.Obviously his times when he was doped are deleted/ignored.

As posted abovethis makes his case sadder and if young people who might be tempted to take that route learn from his example (that you will be caught), thenmaybe we can something positive from this.

Comment

Originally posted by mike11

Folks,

A lot of sh*t being written on this (& posted above too). Without doubt. You added some of the most astonishing s**t yourself below.

Lombard was banned and has served his sentence. He both co-operated and apologised at the time and offered to help both the Sports Council and AI to combat drugs in Irish sport (offer was declined). That is not the story that is suiting some writers.Are U for real? Why dont we get all the high profile successful drug cheats to tell kids Drugs R bad? Maybe Linford Christie can spare some time out from his busy schedule to tell them how drugs ruined his life.

It's pretty obvious many have not forgiven him or at odds with any return for an offender. The fact is that he got the maximum ban and has served it; change the rules/sentences if you don't like them. I will get right on it [img]smileys/lol.gif[/img]

My computer thinks I'm gay
      What's the difference anyway
      When all the people do all day
      Is stare into a phone

Comment

Mike,

Wouldn't know that much about the research. Roger Black seemed fairly comfortable sitting on the BBC and saying "he'll never be clean because he trained extensively on drugs and is still seeing the benefit" when asked about Dwain Chambers.

Different drugs?
        "We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

"Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy

"I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

Comment

B B,

Chambers was on different stuff, but does that matter? Don't know enough about him to say he "trained extensively on drugs" but I'd have a lot of respect for Black. Point I was making is that you work within the system - even if you disagree with some aspects. Maybe work to change/improve aspects as you go, but you must have a system to start with. I would be focussing on those individuals within organisations who are organising aspects of this 'culture'. It's only very recently that the USATF/USADA has completely come on-board.

Sewa, it wasn't I who misquoted people (some of whom are fuming to be brought into this at all). Check it out. BTW I'm delighted you'll be working to improve the systems that are in place/being put in place. You know schools are next target (specifically with regard to schools rugby)?

Comment

Not sure to what you refer after reading back Mike. Enlighten us or at least give us a hint?
            My computer thinks I'm gay
            What's the difference anyway
            When all the people do all day
            Is stare into a phone

Comment

Originally posted by Timster

Dunno if Lombard is running the Connamarathon, but if he passes me, don't worry, I'll give him the silent treatment.
              Suggest you accidentally trip him. [img]smileys/wink.gif[/img]

I cannot understand anyone defending this guy. [img]smileys/sad.gif[/img] I find his victory sickening.
              "Fineen Wycherley was everywhere. When I watched this video back late on Saturday night I half expected to look up from my laptop to find him in my kitchen ' TRK Nov 3rd 2019 following Cardiff v Munster

Comment

Socks
                If you tripped every single other runner in the race..and then again when they got up.
                If you tugged the jerseys of all the other team all the time, for the whole 80 minutes..
                If you punched every other player all the 80 minutes..
                If you deliberately fouled without being caught on every ball, on every setpiece..
                That's what an equivalent cheat would be. Drug cheats have an advantage on EVERY other runner ALL the time during a race. It's not a momentary thing.

"Fineen Wycherley was everywhere. When I watched this video back late on Saturday night I half expected to look up from my laptop to find him in my kitchen ' TRK Nov 3rd 2019 following Cardiff v Munster

Comment

Working...
                X