No announcement yet.

Edwardo Broken Leg

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There is absolutely no need and no place for tackles like that in football.

How often do you see proper defenders such as Maldini, Nesta etc. fly in like that?

Time they got strict with tackling in football!!
    Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony!

Comment

Originally posted by mickyd

How often do you see proper defenders such as Maldini, Nesta etc. fly in like that?

I agree that the tackle was bad, and the offender will be punished. But isn't football a contact sport. Are they not in danger of taking the tackle out of the game altogether.

Also, mickeyd, you have mentioned two of the greatest defenders ever to play the game. Of course they wouldn't have flown in in the same manner, but then Taylor isn't within an asses roar of their quality.
      Wally_fan 25/04/09
      \"bump bump bump, trying to keep the thread up there. holy mary im drunk. and in love with trish. although you all dont care about that. doesnt matter, i still love her\"

Comment

Originally posted by Munstermaniac

I am a Gooner, and while I am gutted to lose Eduardo, I reckon that the tackle was purely accidental. I read today that the Croation press and fans have been giving him ( Taylor)grief since the incident, and he even received death threats. I feel sorry for the lad.

BTW, how come nobody in the media is questioning how easily his ankle was shattered. Surely they should be implementing some sort of rule that soccer players have to wear those shinguards with the ankle protectors. I know pro's don't like wearing them, but surely they might have softened the impact of the tackle.

That's actually a good point. Players don't like wearing them as they affect your control - particularly the ones that have that hard shell just covering the ankle bone.Often players use kids shin pads to minimise the area they cover andtherfore decrease the chances of adodgy ricochet.

Comment

Originally posted by Sin a bhfuil

I am a Gooner, and while I am gutted to lose Eduardo, I reckon that the tackle was purely accidental. I read today that the Croation press and fans have been giving him ( Taylor)grief since the incident, and he even received death threats. I feel sorry for the lad.

BTW, how come nobody in the media is questioning how easily his ankle was shattered. Surely they should be implementing some sort of rule that soccer players have to wear those shinguards with the ankle protectors. I know pro's don't like wearing them, but surely they might have softened the impact of the tackle.

That's actually a good point.

Yippee, after all these years on this site, I feel like my existance has a purpose. I'm so happy I could cry.[img]smileys/biggrin.gif[/img]
          Wally_fan 25/04/09
          \"bump bump bump, trying to keep the thread up there. holy mary im drunk. and in love with trish. although you all dont care about that. doesnt matter, i still love her\"

Comment

I'm not sure it was accidental

Comment

Originally posted by Leinster Zulu

How we managed a point out of that game I'll never know! [img]smileys/biggrin.gif[/img]

Hope the lad plays again - never nice seeing a player of his class injured as badly as that. Tiny Taylor would never go out to do something like that, and Wenger's comments at the end of the game were simply uncalled for - saying things like 'The guy should never be allowed to play football again' were simply trying todivert everyone's attention off Gallas' pathetic actions at the end of the game, in my view. Keep right on Tiny, and keep your chin up.

it was clumsy and mistimed but i'm not so sure it was deliberate

regarding wengers post match fume - i've seen much worse go unpunished on a football field - often enough from arsenal players ironically
              "Just to be clear, Poite is an idiot" The Plastic Paddy 11-04-2012

Comment

Originally posted by mickyd

I agree that the tackle was bad, and the offender will be punished. But isn't football a contact sport. Are they not in danger of taking the tackle out of the game altogether.

Also, mickeyd, you have mentioned two of the greatest defenders ever to play the game. Of course they wouldn't have flown in in the same manner, but then Taylor isn't within an asses roar of their quality.

Exactly, players who lack quality such as Taylorshould not be excused from tackling in that manner because they don't have the skill or pace to defend properly.

In football if you tackle someone you should be responsible for their well being and safety. Accidents do happen of course but they can bereduced inquantityby playersstaying ontheir feet and not flying inkung fu style.

BtwI'mnottalking about Ryan Giggs style tackle wherehe uses the instep of his footto trap the ball from a player. Rather the typical english central defenderwholeaps at the ballstuds showing.
                Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony!

Comment

Originally posted by manofmunster
                  Originally posted by Leinster Zulu

How we managed a point out of that game I'll never know! [img]smileys/biggrin.gif[/img]

Hope the lad plays again - never nice seeing a player of his class injured as badly as that. Tiny Taylor would never go out to do something like that, and Wenger's comments at the end of the game were simply uncalled for - saying things like 'The guy should never be allowed to play football again' were simply trying todivert everyone's attention off Gallas' pathetic actions at the end of the game, in my view. Keep right on Tiny, and keep your chin up.

it was clumsy and mistimed but i'm not so sure it was deliberate

regarding wengers post match fume - i've seen much worse go unpunished on a football field - often enough from arsenal players ironically

A lack of consistency in football does not excuse individual incidents.

I'm sure the result of the tackle was not deliberate but the act itself surely was?

Taylorwhen he made that tackle was responsiblefor the safetyof Eduardo. It wasan unsafe and reckless act and he should be duely punished.

It's likedriving recklessly. If there is a injury due to your reckless driving, it doesn't excuse you if you didn't mean it. Does it?

Comment

compare it to the flannery incident. no malice intended but both wreckless. on the wreckless scale i'd put flannery at around 5/10 and taylor at 9/10. he should receive a 3-6 month ban for it. doesn't matter if he's the loveliest guy in the world, he made absolute s**t of a guy's leg, whther it was deliberate or not is irrelevant, so should receive an appropriate sanction.

Comment

Just out of curiousity, would we be talking about this as much if the injury hadn't been so horrific? I doubt it. The only good to come out of this injury is the exposure it will give to tackles like this.

But one thing that does drive me mad is the hypocrisy of the media, and in particular the English media. I saw some ex pros talking on Sky the other day about the good old days, when Norman "Bite your Legs"Hunter and "Chopper" Harris were playing. These lads spoke fondly of the filthy tackles that thoseplayers put in, but were very quick to condemn the likes of Roy Keane etc for the same tackles.

Also, where is the furore over Taylor. Wasn't some player lambasted in the English media for breaking Beckhams metatarsal? Eboue (rightly) got pasted by the gutter press for his tackle on John Terry. It was a bad tackle but nothing like this one.
                      Wally_fan 25/04/09

Comment

Trouble flared at Arsenal's Emirates stadium on Saturday after a section of Aston Villa supporters sang songs mocking the serious injury sustained by Gunners striker Eduardo last week.

The Croatian is facing at least nine months on the sidelines after suffering a compound fracture of his left leg following a tackle from Birmingham defender Martin Taylor at St Andrews.

Eduardo was saluted by Arsenal fans in the club's first game since the incident.

But a minority of the travelling support was not so sympathetic, comparing the player to amputee Heather Mills, the estranged wife of pop legend Sir Paul McCartney.

Chants of "He used to have silky skills, now he walks like Heather Mills" prompted a furious response from a handful of home fans next to the visitors' enclosure.

Stewards were forced to make several ejections and there were reports of further trouble outside the ground after the final whistle.

Both managers were united in their condemnation of the abuse, with Arsene Wenger, the Arsenal manager, observing that "unfortunately there are no limits to either intelligence or stupidity."
                        \"You have to be fair in football - you have to be honest and well done to you if you\'ve won, but you have to win in a good way.\" Thierry Henry, Stade de France, Arsenal 1-2 Barcelona, 16-05-2006.

Comment

<div style="font-weight: bold;" ="mxb">
                          <div ="sh">
                          Skier to have left leg amputated

</font></div>
                          </div>

<!- S BO ->
                          <!- S IIMA ->

<table align="right" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="203">
                          <t><tr><td>
                          <div>

<div ="cap">Lanzinger is taken to hospital from the scene of his crash</div>
                          </div>
                          </td></tr>
                          </t></table>

<!- E IIMA ->
                          <!- S SF ->
                          Austrian skier Matthias Lanzinger will have his left leg amputated
                          after breaking it during a World Cup race in Norway on Sunday.

</font>

Lanzinger crashed during the super-G race on the Olympiabakken course and finished in the safety net.
                          </font>

The Austrian ski federation said: "As a result of
                          irreparable tissue damage an amputation to avoid lasting serious damage
                          is unavoidable."
                          </font>
                          It said the operation would take place on Tuesday morning in Oslo.</font>

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbR4niZPXaw

Lanzinger crash.[img]smileys/smiley38.gif[/img]

That ski should have come off sooner. Tension too tight.

Comment

Working...
                            X