Mark Steyn<!-end of right ad -><!-
    This template displays a single article
    -><!- Start Article table -><!- Article start ->
    <DIV =text><!- secti&#111;n name -><!- article line/atlline ->

<DIV =story_line>And merry Xmas to you all </DIV>
    <DIV =story_sub></DIV>

<!- Article Publsih Date ->
    <DIV =date>December 17, 2006</DIV><!- Article By Line ->
    <DIV =byline>BY MARK STEYN Sun-Times Columnist</DIV><!- score -><!- Article's First Paragraph -><!-dropstart->I passed through Shannon Airport(get in!!!!!!!) in Ireland the other day. They've got a "holiday" display in the terminal, but guess what? It says "Merry Christmas." The Emerald Isle has a few Jews, and these days rather a lot of Muslims, and presumably even a militant atheist or two, but they don't seem inclined to sue the bejasus out of every event in the Yuletide season (now the idea is out there its only a matter of time).<!-dropend->

By contrast, the Associated Press reports the following from Riverside, Calif.:

"A high school choir was asked to stop singing Christmas carols during an ice skating show featuring Olympic medalist Sasha Cohen out of concern the skater would be offended . . . "

I hasten to add this Sasha Cohen is not the Sacha Baron Cohen of the hit movie ''Borat.'' The Olympic S. Cohen is a young lady; the Borat S. Cohen is a man, though his singlet would not be out of place in a louche Slav entry to the ice-dancing pairs. Likewise, the skater-puts-carols-on-ice incident seems as sharply satirical of contemporary America as anything in ''Borat,'' at least in its distillation of the coerciveness of "tolerance":

"A city staff member, accompanied by a police officer, approached the Rubidoux High School Madrigals at the Riverside Outdoor Ice Skating Rink just as they launched into 'God Rest Ye Merry, Gentlemen' and requested that the troupe stop singing . . . "

The cop and the staffer - "special-events employee Michelle Baldwin" - were not acting on a complaint from the celebrity skater. They were just taking offense on her behalf, no doubt deriving a kinky vicarious thrill at preventing a hypothetical "hate crime." The young miss is Jewish, and so they assumed that the strains of "Merry Gentlemen" wafting across the air must be an abomination to her. In fact, if you go to sashacohen.com, you'll see the headline: "Join Sasha On Her Christmas Tree Lighting Tour." That's right, she's going round the country skating at Christmas tree lighting ceremonies. Christmas tree lighting ceremonies accompanied by singers singing Christmas music that uses the C word itself - just like Sasha does on her Web site.

Nonetheless, the Special Events Commissar and her Carol Cop swung into action and decided to act in loco Cohenis and go loco. Many of my fellow pundits find themselves fighting vainly the old ennui when it comes to the whole John Gibson "War On Christmas" shtick, but I think they're missing something: The idea of calling a cop to break up the singing of "God Rest Ye Merry, Gentlemen" would strike most of the planet as insane. The Rubidoux High School Madrigals should have riposted by serenading the officer with the beloved Neal Sedaka classic, "Oh, Fool, I Am But A Carol" (I quote from memory).

Now it's true there are Jews who don't dig Christmas. There was some story out of Seattle the other day about a rabbi who objected to the "holiday trees" at the airport and threatened a lawsuit unless they also put up an eight-foot menorah. So the airport goes, "Oh, dear, you're threatening a lawsuit? OK, we'll take down the trees." And in an instant the trees were history. Not "history" in the sense of a time-honored tradition legitimized by its very antiquity. But "history" in the sense of the contemporary American formulation of something you toss in the landfill in the interests of "diversity."

So then the rabbi and his lawyer are reeling under a barrage of negative publicity and sudd

Happy winterstice everybody . .

Comment

You know what I'm upset about them having a 'Merry Christmas' sign up. It's Ireland, it's 'Happy Christmas' here [img]smileys/wink.gif[/img]
      Kiva - Loans That Change Lives

Comment

Yes, a merry Boxing Day to one and all . .

Comment

I'm just read that article and am astounded to realise I agree with MARK STEYN....

*Decides to spend Christmas reassessing my entire belief system*

Comment

The phoney war on Christmas

Luton council, we are told, has banned people from celebrating
            Christmas. Birmingham has renamed the season Winterval. A
            Reading man has been told to take his decorations down. There's
            only one problem with the 'PC campaign' against Christmas - it's pure
            nonsense. By Oliver Burkeman

Friday December 8, 2006
            The Guardian

The following correction was printed in the Guardian's Corrections
            and clarifications column, Monday December 11 2006

Mark Santer was the bishop of Birmingham, not Oxford, as we said in
            the article below.

Around this time of year, as the nights draw in and carol-singers don
            their hats and scarves, David Franks can count on receiving several
            enraged telephone calls and letters demanding to know why he has
            banned the people of Luton from celebrating Christmas. The exact
            circumstances in which the Liberal Democrat leader of Luton borough
            council came to outlaw centuries of Christian tradition are unclear,
            not least to David Franks, but the central facts are always the same.
            He and his fellow councillors have forcibly replaced Christmas with a
            "Harry Potter-themed" event called Luminos, to avoid offending
            minorities.

The Luton controversy recurs annually, but this year something in the
            tone of it has changed. According to Christian leaders, vigorously
            backed by rightwing newspapers, Franks is no longer a fringe figure,
            but one crusader in a fully fledged national war against Christmas.
            "The crazy gang who constitute the local council at Luton," as the
            commentator AN Wilson called them in the Daily Mail last weekend,
            now have sympathisers across the country: at the council that erased
            all mention of Christmas from its Christmas cards, in the town that
            banned a generous millionaire from erecting his annual charity lights
            display, and in the Scottish hospital that refused to distribute a
            Christmas CD because it mentioned Jesus, to name just three. Almost
            75% of British employers, according to a survey released this week,
            have banned Christmas decorations for fear of offending other faiths,
            and don't realise they have a legal obligation to celebrate Diwali and
            Eid, whether they like it or not.

"The dead hand of political correctness is throttling the life out of the
            festive spirit," thundered the Sun, announcing, like the Mail, a front-
            page campaign to defend Christmas. (In Birmingham, the paper
            noted despairingly, "Christmas has been rebranded as Winterval.")
            Spurred on by the former Archbishop of Canterbury, George Carey,
            and by the Christian Muslim Forum, which has launched a national
            battle against the de-Christianising of Christmas, local leaders of
            three faiths wrote to Franks in Luton this week. They warned darkly
            of the "anger within religious communities" that might erupt if he did
            not "refrain from renaming the Christmas festival using another (non-
            religious) name".

All of which might be reasonable, were it not for a few awkward
            facts. Luton does not have a festival called Luminos. It does not use
            any alternative name for Christmas. When it did, once, five years
            ago, hold something called Luminos one weekend in late November,
            the event didn't even replace the council's own Christmas
            celebrations, let alone forbid anyone else from doing anything.
            Similarly, Christmas is not called Winterval in Birmingham. The Royal
            Edinburgh Hospital for Sick Children never banned a Christmas CD
            for mentioning Jesus. And Chester council's "un-Christian" Christmas
            card says - as cards have done for decades - "Season's

Comment

Oh he makes sense some times.Spouts gibberish on other occaisons ("Whats a climate change?","Israel is right about everything, you mustbe anti-semitic or French to question their sparkling record"and "Bush's onlymistake was not invading Iran, Syra and possiblyNorwaywhile liberating the middle east"). Normally a good read most of the time.

Comment

Originally posted by blackandwhite

I'm just read that article and am astounded to realise I agree with MARK STEYN....

*Decides to spend Christmas reassessing my entire belief system*

Beat me to it! Always enjoy reading the guys stuff though - know your enemy, etc.

Comment

Working...
                X