X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The axe is been sharpened

Shannon Airport seeks 200 lay-offs

December 13, 2006 14:51

Management at Shannon Airport have put their final cost-cutting proposals to unions in a bid to secure cost reductions worth around €10m a year.

The company is seeking more than 200 voluntary redundancies, along with increased flexibility in work practices and rosters across all its divisions. It also plans to outsource its aircraft and ground catering division, and to introduce franchises at the airport.

But the company will stipulate that franchisees and outsourcing companies must negotiate with unions where workers want to be represented by them. It has also agreed that policing and security services will not be outsourced. The total cost of the estimated restructuring package is around €35m.
    <TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=5 width=400>
    <T>
    <TR>
    <TD vAlign=center></TD></TR></T></TABLE>

The redundancy package will be based on 7-10 weeks per year of service, capped at 145 weeks. There will be additional incentives for those aged over 60, and staff can avail of pension from 55. The redundancy package exceeds that negotiated for Great Southern Hotels employees earlier this year. Employees choosing to stay will receive a €10,000 lump sum for full-time staff, and pro rata payments for part-timers.

The package will apply only to staff of Shannon Airport. Employees at Shannon Hotel Management College, Bunratty and other corporate staff will be excluded. The company wants agreement that the deal will not set any precedent for future negotiations. Unions are expected to ballot on the package over the coming weeks.

A spokesperson for Shannon Airport said the company had agreed with the Labour Relations Commission not to comment publicly on the talks. The proposals are the result of lengthy negotiations between unions and Shannon Airport management chaired by Labour Relations Commission chief executive Kieran Mulvey.

<!-
    var SymReal&#079;nLoad;
    var SymReal;

Sym()
    {
    window.open = SymWinOpen;
    if(SymReal != null)
    SymReal();
    }

Sym&#079;nLoad()
    {
    if(SymReal&#079;nLoad != null)
    SymReal&#079;nLoad();
    window.open = SymRealWinOpen;
    SymReal = window.;
    window. = Sym;
    }

SymReal&#079;nLoad = window.&#111;nload;
    window.&#111;nload = Sym&#079;nLoad;

//->

They are at this for the past year.
    "This was the performance Ireland had been threatening all championship but had only managed to produce in fits and starts. Defeats at the hands of France and Wales had put paid to their title aspirations, never mind a Grand Slam, but yesterday’s emphatic 24-8 win shows that this is a team moving in the right direction."

The Irish Times after Ireland beat England at Lansdowne Road on 19/03/11

Comment

Hopefully the Shannon stop-over will be scrapped as well.

Comment

Originally posted by theprop

Why, so, because?????
        Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Comment

Originally posted by redster

Why, so, because?????
          it's anti-competition and Shannon does not need it to succeed and prosper.

Comment

Hopefully the Shannon stop-
            over will be scrapped as well.

Why, so, because?????
            Well, from a personal point of view, it's bloody annoying when you're
            flying to the states from Dublin. Secondly, it's prevents open
            competition between the airports for trans-atlantic flights and thirdly,
            surely it's a relic of when the West needed constant government
            support to keep afloat. The Ryanair deal that they signed is an example
            of their ability to attract new business, so level the playing field with all
            the airports.

Comment

Originally posted by beir bua

Why, so, because?????

Fair enough but if Mr. O'Leary decides to have a strop and take his flights off to Farrenfore, Shannon Airport will be goosed. I am a bit biased on this issue as I live in Shannon and am approx 5 minutes from Airport. I don't fancy the idea of trekking to Dublin for a flight to the States or off to Cork for a flight to Europe, again my own personal issue here. Aer Lingus have not introduced one new route Ex Shannon in donkeys, they would be gone in the morning if they had half a chance.

Comment

Hopefully the Shannon stop-
                over will be scrapped as well.

Why, so, because?????

Well, from a personal point of view, it's bloody annoying when you're
                flying to the states from Dublin. Secondly, it's prevents open
                competition between the airports for trans-atlantic flights and thirdly,
                surely it's a relic of when the West needed constant government
                support to keep afloat. The Ryanair deal that they signed is an example
                of their ability to attract new business, so level the playing field with all
                the airports.

It works both ways Prop, flew back from Atlanta the week before and had to land in Dublin first and then off to Shannon. At least the Dublin passengers can disembark when they get to Shannon (am thinking about myself as a smoker here). Surely now there are enough direct flights to the US from Dublin that you can choose from. In fairness in the last couple of years, the market has opened up with more direct flights and more airlines coming on board to both Shannon and Dublin.

Comment

If Dublin does turn out to be the only way to get from here to the States why not avail of Micko's bus to Gatwick and spend the time there,waiting for your flight,relaxing instead of risking life and limb with a trip to the worst airport in Europe(any advance on Europe?) I did itfor the trip to Castres in January,Stansted in that case,but the message is the same.
                  The early bird catches the worm but it's the second mouse that gets the cheese.

Comment

Originally posted by beir bua

Why, so, because?????

Fair enough but if Mr. O'Leary decides to have a strop and take his flights off to Farrenfore, Shannon Airport will be goosed. I am a bit biased on this issue as I live in Shannon and am approx 5 minutes from Airport. I don't fancy the idea of trekking to Dublin for a flight to the States or off to Cork for a flight to Europe, again my own personal issue here. Aer Lingus have not introduced one new route Ex Shannon in donkeys, they would be gone in the morning if they had half a chance.
                    Such is Aer Lingus' record, i'd be worried if they did show an interest in Shannon! There is a market for trans-atlantic flights from the region and Shannon can and will survive without protectionism. Time we had a bit of confidence in the region!!

Comment

When you experience Dublin, Shannon becomes a complete joy.

Comment

Working...
                      X