X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Car blaze victims ’not welcome on estate’

Irish Independent

Car blaze victims 'are not welcome on our estate'

THERE will be no room at the inn for arson attack victims Millie and Gavin Murray if residents of a private housing estate have their way.

They have petitioned a cabinet minister to prevent Sheila Murray and her two children, who are still recovering from the horrific attack in the troubled Moyross estate in limerick, from moving into their area.

More than half the housholds in Clonile estate, Old Cratloe Road, have signed the petition which was handed to Defence Minister Willie O'Dea, a local TD.

Fianna Fail party colleague Peter Power also received a copy of the petition which has been passed onto Limerick City Council.

The estate on the city's northside contains almost 60 detached and semi-detached houses and is being considered by the local authority as a suitable location for a future home for Gavin (4) and Millie (6) and their mother Sheila.

Mr O'Dea last night confirmed he had received the petition entitled: 'Clonile residents petition against Limerick City Council purchasing houses in Clonile'.

"I was asked to pass it onto Limerick City Council by the residents and I did that," said Mr O'Dea.

Neither he nor Peter Power would make any comment on the housing proposal.

Clonile estatei s home to a diverse community. Latvian, Polish and Lithuanians reside alongside families living in social housing. When visited yesterday by the Irish Independent, it was apparent the community was split down the middle on whether the Murray family should live in the area.

"We are not concerned with the family. What happened them is awful, but it is people connected to the family that we are worried about and what might happen," said one mother who asked not to be named.

Sr Maureen Mullen from Cork, who has lived in Clonile for the last six years, said: "they have gone through a lot already. I heard rumours that they were coming and that people were concerned. I am a bit disappointed with that reaction."

Barry Duggan

that's horrible on the poor kids, but hardly surprising that people don't want trouble on their doorsteps. What part of Moyross is Clonile? I'm not familiar with that area.[img]smileys/confused.gif[/img]
    <a href=\"http://www.xboxlc.com/profile/Ruck_You\" target=\"_blank\">
    http://www.xboxlc.com/cards/sig/default/Ruck%20You.jpg
    </a>

If you’re fat stay in the ruck - Liam Toland

Comment

I'd be concerned if I lived there too tbh.

I have no idea what that family (or people related or connected to
      them) have done to provoke such sustained and terrible attacks, and I
      felt so desperately sorry for the poor children when they were
      horrifically burned btw.

Comment

Ruck,

Clonile estate, Old Cratloe Road,is not apart ofMoyross.

Comment

I work with a lad who bought a house there last year - can you blame anyone for trying to protect the safety/value of their own home.

As was said above, they have no problem with the kids - it's the possibilities of more trouble that concerns them.

Comment

Which I can fully understand.

Comment

Why not move them miles away, out to Shannon, Croom or Newport rather than into a house across a field from Moyross, spreading the web of crime is all that its happening here.

Comment

If the many rumours about their extended families are true then I can understand the feelings of the residents, but what can be done?
                It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into.

Every plan I have is the best plan in the room. Everybody get quiet and listen to it, and everybody will win

Comment

Its a disgrace that it has come to this.I don't blame the residents of that estate but the state and Gardai for not doing their fecking jobs in the first place.All this brushng the problem under tha carpet has come back to bite them in the arse.What will be done ??? feck all!!!
                  \"As she lay there dozing next to me, one voice inside my head kept saying, \'Relax, you\'re not the first doctor to sleep with one of his patients\', but the another kept reminding me, \' you are a veterinarian!\'\"

Comment

Originally posted by JoeyFantastic
                    If the many rumours about their extended families are true then I can understand the feelings of the residents, but what can be done?

Donegal sound like a lovely place to rear small kids.

Comment

All are just rumours so they are! Everyone has some part of their extended family that they are embarrassed to admit being related to. I don't see what children should suffer on foot of this.

Comment

Originally posted by wildRover
                        Why not move them miles away, out to Shannon, Croom or Newport rather than into a house across a field from Moyross, spreading the web of crime is all that its happening here.

Don't think so mate, that's is just pushing the problem into another town and creating more hassle. Sort out the issues first at a ground level. By the way, have already seen one family moved from Limerick and creating havoc already and they are barely in town a wet week.
                        Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Comment

Originally posted by eracoto

All are just rumours so they are! Everyone has some part of their extended family that they are embarrassed to admit being related to. I don't see what children should suffer on foot of this.
                          Indeed. I hope this petition finds a nice place inside a paper shredder or in someone's wastebin. If action were taken to prevent the family moving in to that estate, what precedent would that set? How bad do the relatives need to be, or how distant, before innocent family members can be excluded from an area?

I've a first cousin who was jailed for assault, would I be excluded too?
                          Munster - Incessant Perfervidity
                          "Ireland Will Choke" - Jeremy Guscott

Comment

Certain families have been allowed to run riot and it isnt just the fault of the guards.People in the communities they came fromturned a blind eye and in some cases helped cover up for them.

My computer thinks I'm gay
                            What's the difference anyway
                            When all the people do all day
                            Is stare into a phone

Comment

Originally posted by eracoto

I'd like to agree, however, I know how concrete these particular rumours are and frankly, I understand the residents objections.
                              It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into.

Every plan I have is the best plan in the room. Everybody get quiet and listen to it, and everybody will win

Comment

Working...
                              X