X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Video Gaming (now with RWC 2011 info)

<div>Wired</div>
    <div>*</div>
    <div>This weekend, the gloves come off and the controllers turn on.Microsoft's Xbox 360 has enjoyed an entire year all to itself in the war for gaming supremacy. But on Friday, Sony's hotly anticipated PlayStation 3 finally debuts in the United States. Two days later, Nintendo launches its Wii gaming platform.The stakes have never been higher in the struggle for your entertainment dollars. Sony and Microsoft have each invested billions of dollars to craft the most powerful game players the world has ever seen. To recoup those costs, they've got to outsell the other guy - which only one of them can do.Sony launched on Nov. 11 In Japan with a tiny allotment of 80,000 units, which they sold through instantly. Microsoft has only moved around 150,000 Xbox 360 units in the region, but has moved 5 million of the new consoles elsewhere in the world, getting a healthy leap on Sony.Because of the inherent risks, perennial also-ran Nintendo has decided to bow out of the technological race, ditching high-def graphics for innovative game control. Wii's motion-sensing controller allows you to swing a virtual tennis racket as if it were the real thing.All sides are aggressively courting gamers, and the competition is great. Every console has a slate of impressive new game titles and a bevy of additional features, from web browsing to video chat.So, which one is right for you? Here's the rundown.PlayStation 3Videophiles on a budget will prize PlayStation 3 simply for the fact that, at $500 to $600, it is the cheapest option for playback of the new Blu-Ray high-def movie format (Sony's standalone player retails for $1000).And with so many consumers clamoring for a few PS3s - Sony says 2 million units will be available worldwide in 2006, and rumors of shortages abound - it's likely that eBay entrepreneurs will snap up much of the initial shipment and turn it around for three times the MSRP.The PlayStation platform is where most of the game industry's major franchises call home, though that isn't quite reflected in the launch lineup. In the years to come, new entries in the Final Fantasy RPG series and Gran Turismo racing series will be exclusive to Sony's box. Brand-loyal gamers who need their fix don't really have much of a choice.By the numbers: Sony's system is by far the most expensive of the three. The majority of the units available on Nov. 17 will be in a $600 configuration which includes a 60-GB hard drive, built-in wireless networking and slots for various storage media. A $500 version has a 20-GB hard drive and lacks the features listed above.Distinguishing characteristics: All PlayStation 3 units sport a Blu-Ray drive, which gives game developers 25 gigabytes of space to work with (Xbox and Wii discs are only 9 GB). An HDMI jack allows for pure digital video and audio output, although the cable must be purchased separately.The best games: Wired's bloggers are split on the merits of Sony's first-person shooter Resistance: Fall of Man, but agree that the online multiplayer mode, which supports up to 40 simultaneous players, is excellent. We loved Electronic Arts' Fight Night, which adds a first-person perspective that lets you look the opposing boxer dead-on as you rearrange his face.WiiNintendo's game plan hinges on whether they can attract consumers outside the traditional "gamer" demographic. They're hoping the easy-to-pick-up design and unique realism of games like Wii Sports will appeal to those who would ordinarily never pick up a game controller. It's the game system for your mom.The game variations included in Wii Sports allow the motion-sensing remote to be swung like a tennis racket, bowling ball or golf club. The graphics - which feature tiny little characters that look like plastic toys - are a far cry from the ultra-realism of the competition. But the gameplay feels just li
    <a href=\"http://www.xboxlc.com/profile/Ruck_You\" target=\"_blank\">
    http://www.xboxlc.com/cards/sig/default/Ruck%20You.jpg
    </a>

If you’re fat stay in the ruck - Liam Toland

I am buying a Wii, my choice is final[img]smileys/biggrin.gif[/img]. I prefer a completely new game experience rather than playing on the same games over and over (even if they will look way nicer)

Comment

I don't think things look good for the 360. A year with a free run at the market, and they just haven't made the impact that you might expect. Where's the Mario Bros, the Sonic, the Tekken, the GTA - games that go beyond gamers in their impact and visibility?

Every successful platform I can think of brought a definitive game that people who've never picked up a controller would recognise by name.

MS haven't delivered one.
      "We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

"Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy

"I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

Comment

Not much of a gamer myself but three of the guys in the office have Wii's on order, from what i can tell the Wii may well slaughter the Playstation 3 which is only really offering better graphics as opposed to the Wii which sounds like good fun

Comment

Pc forever, better graphics cheaper games and Half Life2

Comment

I think the Xbox 360 will only take off when Halo 3 comes out - making the reasonable assumption it isn't a dud. (And it's a pity the plans for a Peter Jackson directed Halo movie appear to be on the rocks).

The Wii is likely to capture the kids-begging-parents market, but I wonder how much it'll appeal to the older market, with it's Gamecube graphics it'll be some distance behind the other consoles.
            Munster - Incessant Perfervidity
            "Ireland Will Choke" - Jeremy Guscott

Comment

i'll be waiting between 6 months a year after the release dates for the prices to come down, for more games to be released and for proper comparisons to be made before i purchase any of the consoles.
              </a>

Comment

Originally posted by Ruck
                i'll be waiting between 6 months a year after the release dates for the prices to come down, for more games to be released and for proper comparisons to be made before i purchase any of the consoles.

Wise - and a potentially new factor in the market. The consoles are becoming so expensive that chucking a bag of cash over the counter on day one looks more and more risky.

Do you really want to shell out several hundred notes for something that could turn out to be the new betamax?

Could bea lot more "wait and see" than on previous releases.

I'm not sure about the Wii either. All well and good positioning it as the console to buy if you fancy a bit of a pissed up laugh with friends/family, but does the price really allow it to hit that market? Best part of £200 is still a fair chunk of cash for a novelty item, isn't it?
                "We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

"Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy

"I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

Comment

<!-
                  var SymReal&#079;nLoad;
                  var SymReal;

Sym()
                  {
                  window.open = SymWinOpen;
                  if(SymReal != null)
                  SymReal();
                  }

Sym&#079;nLoad()
                  {
                  if(SymReal&#079;nLoad != null)
                  SymReal&#079;nLoad();
                  window.open = SymRealWinOpen;
                  SymReal = window.;
                  window. = Sym;
                  }

SymReal&#079;nLoad = window.&#111;nload;
                  window.&#111;nload = Sym&#079;nLoad;

//->

no point getting the PS3 till October 07, when GTA4 comes out

The Source for this post is The Internet

Comment

@@@@SPAN =title>A Few PS3 Backwards Compat Woes@@@@/SPAN>
                    @@@@SPAN =mood>Topic: Console Games@@@@/SPAN>

The PS3 backwards compatibility is reputedly a little crumbly around the edges. Says aged-gamer bastion, 2old2play:
                    <BLOCKQUOTE>

CNET Japan is saying over 196 PS2 titles are not playing correctly (or at all) on the PS3. Some games function but lack any type of sound. Sony says that they didn't expect 100% of the games to work on launch and will be working on the problem, in some cases, apparently one title at a time.</BLOCKQUOTE>
                    </a>

Comment

In the weeks since the PS3's worldwide launch, it's been opened up and smashed. Now it's being broken down into its component parts by iSuppli, a well-respected group of technology analysts. They've totaled up the cost of the PS3's parts and determined that the cost of each $600 box is $840. That means they're taking a bath on each 60GB console to the tune of $240 (and how's that for a mixed metaphor).

Interestingly, they say that Sony is actually losing more money - over $300 - on the 20GB console. No surprise, says iSuppli, that they're steering customers over to the 60GB model.

There's also a comparison to the Xbox 360, which iSuppli says is currently profiting around $75 per console. That's only considering cost of parts and not taking into account advertising, shipping, and all that. Nor the cost of the controller and cables. Okay, so maybe they're not making any money, but they're doing better than losing $300.
                      </a>

Comment

Do NOT buy a PS3 yet, there's always tech problems with the first batch, leave it a while yet. The graphics on the WII are fine, metroid prime 3 looks quality. Sony will sell trillions, the games releasedwill be games you already own, with better graphics and updated squad names.

Nintendo will again provide the innovation. Its been supported by the bigger software companies.......theres talk of a light sabre game....

Comment

It's done, I have reserved my Wii [img]smileys/biggrin.gif[/img].

I have also ordered Zelda and Red Steel.
                          Red Steel is a FPS yakusa game in which you use the controller like a gun or a saber.

This remote + nunchaku system is incredible. Can you imagine a golf game where you actually swing.

Comment

reckon i'll go for the Wii

something different for a change
                            "Some people don't know their easy lives... I wouldn't be so ungrateful" - Fiacre Ryan - #AutismAndMe

Comment

Originally posted by anthonyl
                              Pc forever, better graphics cheaper games and Half Life2

Right specs, BIG monitor and good DSL connection, you can't beat PC.
                              "This was the performance Ireland had been threatening all championship but had only managed to produce in fits and starts. Defeats at the hands of France and Wales had put paid to their title aspirations, never mind a Grand Slam, but yesterday’s emphatic 24-8 win shows that this is a team moving in the right direction."

The Irish Times after Ireland beat England at Lansdowne Road on 19/03/11

Comment

Working...
                              X