X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• glorob
    replied
    Originally posted by fitzy73 View Post
    I'm hearing a few stories of restaurants and other retail businesses in Dublin being in some distress. A combination of rent and rate increases, VAT changes, staff pay increases, horrendous compliance paperwork and tiny profit margins.

According to a source, a Sheriff arrived to serve a notice at a restaurant a few days ago, and it took him a good 10 minutes to find the letter for the restaurant in question. This was due to the volume of paperwork for other clients he had to visit....
    ​​​​​​
    None of this is Brexit related, btw.
    I hear similar stories in other Irish cities.

Leave a comment:

• lawrence
    replied
    Originally posted by fitzy73 View Post
    I'm hearing a few stories of restaurants and other retail businesses in Dublin being in some distress. A combination of rent and rate increases, VAT changes, staff pay increases, horrendous compliance paperwork and tiny profit margins.

According to a source, a Sheriff arrived to serve a notice at a restaurant a few days ago, and it took him a good 10 minutes to find the letter for the restaurant in question. This was due to the volume of paperwork for other clients he had to visit....
    ​​​​​​
    Rents are probably the biggest increases for a lot of businesses. Commercial rate increases can’t be far off the levels that residential rates have increased by.

Leave a comment:

• fitzy73
    replied

​​​​​​

Leave a comment:

• lawrence
    replied
    “The London Fire Service has reportedly dealt with over 70 fires in Zafira cars during last November alone”

https://www.rte.ie/lifestyle/motors/...ble-recall-of/

Leave a comment:

• Hugged Rugger
    replied
    as far as i know the same time as the fire in douglas there was a zafira on fire outside a McDonalds in the UK

Leave a comment:

• lawrence
    replied
    Originally posted by Daithi View Post

IMHO they should definitely 'ban' really stupid drivers who drive smoking cars into them.......

Car companies are left off the hook far to lightly in situations like this. The sheer number of incidents involving these cars should mean they are forced to buy back everyone of them so that none are left on the road.

The recalls and fixes they implement are questionable.

Its entirely possible for for a driver not to notice and stop
    in a petrol station / multi story car park / apartment block car park etc etc.
    Last edited by lawrence; 5th-September-2019, 12:51.

Leave a comment:

• Hugged Rugger
    replied
    it was stupid alright but people panic sometimes and i feel genuinely sorry for them. 10m+ damages potentially and 100s of jobs impacted. as center manager said a lot of damage from a car that spent 7 minutes in there

Leave a comment:

• Daithi
    replied
    Originally posted by lawrence View Post
    Maybe car parks should ban Opel Zafiras.
    IMHO they should definitely 'ban' really stupid drivers who drive smoking cars into them.......

Leave a comment:

• lawrence
    replied
    Maybe car parks should ban Opel Zafiras.

Leave a comment:

• Major TNT
    replied
    Originally posted by Piquet View Post
    It seems Sprinklers are only a requirement in underground Car Parks.
    Thats mental if true. When you think about the amount of air passing through an above ground, multi storey car park the need for a sprinkler system to prevent a fire taking hold would be even greater.

Leave a comment:

• Piquet
    replied
    It seems Sprinklers are only a requirement in underground Car Parks.

Leave a comment:

• Major TNT
    replied
    Originally posted by Hugged Rugger View Post
    Nasty looking fire in Douglas village shopping center
    Did the car park not have a sprinkler system to extinguish a fire?

Leave a comment:

• Hugged Rugger
    replied
    Nasty looking fire in Douglas village shopping center

Leave a comment:

• The Last Stand
    replied
    This guy seems to have a strange obsession with pissing on Ireland since the web summit left. Bitter?

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/poli...61395?mode=amp

Valid point that property/SPVs is the new cash in terms hiding wealth but Ireland is far from alone on this issue. And it is believed that at least from an Irish income tax perspective the loophole has been closed in 2016 - I think Eamon Ryan was quite active in highlighting this issue.

Isn’t he getting a hand out from the Portuguese Govt. for the web summit - he wanted State support here for his web summit and the Govt was not willing to meet his demands.

Are his motives altruistic or is he a multi millionaire flexing his muscles because he can?

The Irish inward investment package (Tax and many other measures) supports a large proportion of jobs in this country. Many of the tax issues now relate to the fact that countries like France want the revenues taxed here to be taxed in their countries and want the International tax rules changed as a result.
    Last edited by The Last Stand; 17th-April-2019, 10:03.

Leave a comment:

• Ruck Em
    replied
    Originally posted by Hugged Rugger View Post
    Sextant pub to close. Not somewhere I go but there seems to be a big customer base and it's kind of part of the furniture. Presumed it would be a gold mine with all the development but tenants given notice (they didn't want to go) and owners want to develop the site.

There seems to be preservation orders on half of cork I'm surprised thats not been listed at some stage.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breaki...rs-902433.html
    Heard The Idle Hour is due to close in the coming days/week. Damage to the building. Plan is to knock and rebuild. With the Idle and Sextant both closed, I don't think it will be a good thing for Goldbergs. All three used to help each other by making it a "destination". Will Goldbergs win or lose by being the only show at that end of town?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X