X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sulla View Post
    The Dunner gets 12 more years of bankruptcy

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/...nest-1.3648911
    The Judge is scathing in her comments but Dunne rolls on, he hides behind his son, John, in the US and behind his wife, Gayle.

The stroke he is trying to pull on "Walford" is quite extraordinary, it has to be stopped but then again has he separate borrowings on that property.

It is hard to choose which is the worse cant of the Celtic Pussy, Sean Dunne or Sean Quinn.

Comment

Queues at 2am for doughnuts in blanchardstown. Have we reached peak stupid yet? I should be in WTF news thread
      "Some people don't know their easy lives... I wouldn't be so ungrateful" - Fiacre Ryan - #AutismAndMe

Comment

https://www.rte.ie/news/politics/201...006510-airbnb/

good to see this being introduced, because it’s really going to help the homeless crisis when there is less hotel or short term accommodation available and that demand drives up room rates either putting the homeless people out of hotel rooms or increasing the rates councils have to pay for those rooms.

Is it to much to expect public representatives to understand the basics of supply and demand.

Comment

Odd view to take on it.

Reintroducing the thousands of Airbnb properties onto the long term rental market should help in lowering fairly crippling rental costs, which will make rented accommodation more affordable for a significant number of people. The damage being done to the Dublin rental market by Airbnb is well documented.
          "It’s not the team you support, it’s the club you should support. The team on the pitch will ebb and flow because that’s the nature of sport. No team has ever been successful decade on decade. The club has the history and that’s the passion you should have."

Comment

Originally posted by Jenta View Post
            Odd view to take on it.

Reintroducing the thousands of Airbnb properties onto the long term rental market should help in lowering fairly crippling rental costs, which will make rented accommodation more affordable for a significant number of people. The damage being done to the Dublin rental market by Airbnb is well documented.

That’s the thing, it’s not well documented.

There is no gurantee that additional stock in the rental market will drive down price, the market has risen and its floor and ceiling have changed, on the other hand hotel rates will increase with demand, and this will reduce supply and increase demand.

The figures that Airbnb published (pinch of salt) would show that the problem isn’t as bad as it’s being made out, that the amount of consistently regular rentals of entire apartments or houses is not that high, i will find the link.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.i...-37368095.html

The thing that I find funny is this - tipping the balance out of short term rental into long term rental may benefit some long term renters, it will have a negative effect on tourism as availability is lowered, but the problem is one of stock, the government shouldn’t concern itself with addressing this issue, they need to fix the bigger problem of overall stock and they are not doing that.

As the owner of a property purchased with taxed income landlords are not under any obligation to society to fix any crisis, they should be allowed do as they please with their own place, once it’s not breaking noise, fire, safety regulations etc.

The government going aftet this is only PR, looking for a headline, it won’t solve the problem of stock that exists, it will just alleviate one area a small bit and tighten another.

Comment

Originally posted by lawrence View Post

There is no gurantee that additional stock in the rental market will drive down price, the market has risen and its floor and ceiling have changed, on the other hand hotel rates will increase with demand, and this will reduce supply and increase demand.

The figures that Airbnb published (pinch of salt) would show that the problem isn’t as bad as it’s being made out, that the amount of consistently regular rentals of entire apartments or houses is not that high, i will find the link.

The thing that I find funny is this - tipping the balance out of short term rental into long term rental may benefit some long term renters, it will have a negative effect on tourism as availability is lowered, but the problem is one of stock, the government shouldn’t concern itself with addressing this issue, they need to fix the bigger problem of overall stock and they are not doing that.

As the owner of a property purchased with taxed income landlords are not under any obligation to society to fix any crisis, they should be allowed do as they please with their own place, once it’s not breaking noise, fire, safety regulations etc.

The government going aftet this is only PR, looking for a headline, it won’t solve the problem of stock that exists, it will just alleviate one area a small bit and tighten another.
              It is, anecdotally, few friends I know with Dublin city apartments all AirBnB them, 3/4 times the annual rent, farm out the daily maintenance to any one of numerous companies doing services for that. You be mad not to
              Nulla semper amicus, servivit mihi, in iniuriam mihi neminem quem non persolvi

Comment

Capitalism, entrepreneurship, free market and all that?

Comment

I'm not expecting this to make a big dent in homelessness figures but the increase in supply of rental properties to the market is likely to drive down rent. Anything that helps reduce the cost of renting in Dublin is to be welcomed because it is crippling the city. It may also have the knock on effect of bringing some people out of temporary accommodation and back into long term renting, which is to be welcomed. It's a small measure compared to the big issue of housing supply but it is something.

If the owner of the rental property feels their rights are being unfairly infringed upon they are free to challenge the legislation on constitutional grounds. They'll lose though.
                  "It’s not the team you support, it’s the club you should support. The team on the pitch will ebb and flow because that’s the nature of sport. No team has ever been successful decade on decade. The club has the history and that’s the passion you should have."

Comment

If this governments track record of passing legislation is anything to go by they they needn’t worry. The quantity of bills stuck in second stage of approval is apparently massive.

I dont have a problem huge with it, the fact that it’s paltry and they are making out it’s a big deal is what’s farcical.

the problem is far bigger, therefore the solutions need to be more ambitious, this could well amount to being a waste of time in the context of the problem.

Comment

If this governments track record of passing legislation is anything to go by they they needn’t worry. The quantity of bills stuck in second stage of approval is apparently massive.

I dont have a problem huge with it, the fact that it’s paltry and they are making out it’s a big deal is what’s farcical.

the problem is far bigger, therefore the solutions need to be more ambitious, this could well amount to being a waste of time in the context of the problem.
                      It is new politics. What the people want. The only benefit is that bad law gets held up also.

Comment

Just seen the headline regarding pay differentials between agency nurses and those employed by HSE, once again union being disingenuous, no mention of the benefits that apply when employed directly, paid annual leave, paid sick leave, pension, maternity/paternity leave, if you take those into account is there a differential, plus agency workers only get paid on an as worked basis so while the hourly rate may be 20% higher they are not guaranteed 40hrs a week.
                        Pisses me off when no one/ particularly politicians offers up an argument to the public service unions in fear of upsetting them.
                        Public sector health nurses deserve a fair package but to use this argument creates the fallacy that agency nurses are on the pigs back
                        psychoanalysis is wasted on the Irish; Sigmund Freud

Comment

Very little talk of Strokestown on here. It's exactly the sort of thing that would have lit up blabla back in the day.

Rumour has it Major TNT has only just been removed from the headquarters of KBC Bank along with Mattie McGrath, some failed property developers and other random wingnuts.

Comment

I haven't been following that story much - is it true that the security guards who were attacked were a bunch of loyalist heavies brought south, or is that a load of bull?
                            Tis but a scratch.

Comment

Originally posted by mr chips View Post
                              I haven't been following that story much - is it true that the security guards who were attacked were a bunch of loyalist heavies brought south, or is that a load of bull?
                              Hard to say, there were definitely nordies in the security detail. The UVF / UDA link is a convenient story for people involved on the baseball bat wielding lunatic side of things though.

Comment

Sextant pub to close. Not somewhere I go but there seems to be a big customer base and it's kind of part of the furniture. Presumed it would be a gold mine with all the development but tenants given notice (they didn't want to go) and owners want to develop the site.

There seems to be preservation orders on half of cork I'm surprised thats not been listed at some stage.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breaki...rs-902433.html
                                "Some people don't know their easy lives... I wouldn't be so ungrateful" - Fiacre Ryan - #AutismAndMe

Comment

Working...
                                X